Idol Downloads Chaos

japseye

Oct 28, 2009
Hi there, there is one thing keeping me away from the idol downloads section, the fact that it is so messed up.

Just a couple a weeks ago I found 7 different threads of exactly the same download (some using the same downloads host, some using different), some with varying titles, some with no English at all either in the thread title or the main post. And there are many many similar cases, with duplicate threads everywhere. And I know for a fact that many of these posters are just copy and paste merchants (copy the same post and post it on many different forums) who can not be bothered to search to see if there's already a thread about what they are posting.

The (Direct Download) Idol Video, Photobook, and JAV sections all have this problem, and soon it will be too late to restore order I feel. I know there's a lot of good stuff contained in those sections, but I can't be bothered looking through any more it's so messed up, in fact I don't even want to post in there any more as it's too disorganized.

It'd be a much better idea to have single threads for each idol, or series, may require a lot of moderation but it would be so much more user friendly.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Also if you see a duplicate post (on the same file host), please report it so staff can take action

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
It doesn't help that this place has maybe 3 or 4 SuperMods who are absent for months and even years at a time!

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
It doesn't help that this place has maybe 3 or 4 SuperMods who are absent for months at a time!

I did not know some go missing for months at a time, maybge they are travelling,

I do agree something needs to be done, I did wonder if the mods could put all those who post, could move then to the original posts and them we would get an better system, I did think about trying to volunteering myself but it needs a huge amount of time to sort, it can be done given time and help, I was going to send a pm to one of the mods on this, but I am glad yoiu have brought it into the open

You are right Japseye it is very messy, and there is a lot of good stuff there, I am looking for one perticular post and cannot find it because it so jammed up with repeats, go back and find the happiness you seek.

Thank you all for listening to my bit.

rubiks6

No more JI - Retired from AO
Apr 2, 2008
Another perspective.

I think original complaint was disorganization - yes ?

Way back yester-year snakeboy collected up all the 'Cat Model Project' materials he could find and put them in a single thread (here) - all nice and neat and organized. I took my inspiration from him and did the same thing with 'Secret Junior Acrobat' materials (here).

Could other members who frequent other sub-forums take on similar projects ? Perhaps this is only a good solution for a few situations, but every little bit helps.

_____ . :puzzled: . hmmm . . . . :bingo: . _____

japseye

Oct 28, 2009
^

I know that suggestion is good, but even after something like that had been accomplished, it would all be messed up again after a week or so because 1) There aren't enough rules for posters, 2) Many posters wouldn't even read the rules if there were any, 3) Many posters in these sections have a very limited English ability.

There's also other issues over that too, I mean you'd require moderation rights to actually do something like that I'm guessing. And I'm sure chompy doesn't want to go around throwing moderator status to anybody who comes asking.

I mean look at this really small example of what my initial concern in this thread was about, over at the Gravure Idols Forum. Handyman, sensibly as you can see, has one thread for all Weekly Playboy Magazine issues, other just post one thread per issue. And if you look on page 3, I mean why is this stuff even here? It's been 10-11 months and nobody has even been bothered to move it into the idol downloads section?!

The Junior Idol section is so so so so much more better organized than the JAV and Gravure sections.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
The best system would be to use something similar to what jpopsuki uses for organizing their asian music shares. Basically, each album gets its own database entry number, and all "posts" which contain torrents are linked to that number. So when you choose a particular album to download, the site automatically lists all the download options that have been posted for that album (whether it be MP3, FLAC lossless, and so on).

If it were possible for AO to implement something like this, then you could easily extend it to also list all the direct download mirrors that have been posted.

Two problems:
1) It would take a major overhaul, a lot of coding on behalf of AO admins to get this up and running. jpopsuki had to basically open up an entire second site just to get the software up, or else shut down their old site while they got it set up.
2) A lot of posters will likely shy away from having to conform to the new format. As it is, a lot of posters simply copy-and-paste their shares across multiple sites (AO, scanlover, JAVforum, various chinese BBS, etc).

A screenshot of jpopsuki (for those of you who don't have an account there), and a mockup of what it might look like for AO content:
View attachment 289177 View attachment 289178

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006

That's Gazelle. Either that or it looks a lot like it. No, it's definitely Gazelle.

I can't see A-O migrating to Gazelle any time soon. Or ever.

A-O is far too open. Gazelle is built with closed (ratio) trackers in mind.

Hell, A-O doesn't even have a tracker.

Migrating A-O to Gazelle brings us back to the issue of herding cats. Though it certainly has the potential to work just for the jr idol club's U-15 IV torrents area, but that's a reflection of the slow collected calm of that area specifically and only exists in an infinite number of parallel universes.

Looks pretty though.