Firefox or Internet explorer?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

your internet browser?

• Mozilla firefox, FTW!

Votes: 178 73.9%
  • Internet explorer, a golden classic

Votes: 24 10.0%
  • other, [insert witty remark fail]

Votes: 39 16.2%

• Total voters

Crimson_Sands

Oct 27, 2009
gotta go with Firefox on this one, been using it since it started and have never looked back. long live Firefox ^_^

Internet Explorer? whats that when it works?

vintage

Mar 10, 2010
It's funny you should ask because my FF 3.6 download was a little screwy so until I get that sorted out I'll have to wait to vote.

Kasuki

Cake?
May 31, 2007
I've been using Firefox since its release, I dont think I could use anything else lol. At the time it was by far superior to IE with having the Tabs and Plugins. Now i think u can do pretty much the same with IE but I dont think i'll go back haha

Banjuu

Feb 28, 2007
Internet Explorer, I'm too used to it now. I do use Firefox sometimes, when I can't download a torrent with it, and it displays all text properly as well. It runs gifs at full speed, too, which is nice to look at after using IE for so long. Oh yeah, and some flash videos run better on it, but other than that, I still like IE a bit better.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
WTH is a ccv????

back on topic: i'm using Firefox since when i tried those stupid pay per click programs, and multitabs was a must

Netscape... oh, using that was the real hardcore SM
i always thought that people were using it just because of the -back then- newborn anti-microsoft sentiment...

illuminatus3

Akiba Citizen
Oct 9, 2007
I prefer firefox, been using it since its inception, but I also use Opera and IE.

Want to give something new a try? How about the Off By One browser?

http://offbyone.com/offbyone/ob1_overview.htm

It is an older browser but a fine example of what can be and is being done out there. This is still considered one of the "smallest and fastest browsers out there".

A bit different, yet fast. Low memory utilization I like, but having to hit a 'url' button to type in a url is a bit cumbersome.

Thanks for this.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
The guys at Tom's Hardware tested all browsers for performance in different areas. Multi-tabbed browsing showed less memory usage on Firefox although there are a lot of people claiming that it's a memory hog. In my case, it isn't. Running it on a 1GB laptop with Windows 7 installed and I haven't had any gripes. Page load times are best with Google Chrome and Opera. This true for the most part but Chrome had a lot of problems in it's early versions. Tried Opera on a mobile phone and seems fast. Well, how about IE? Trust me. You wouldn't want to know. Bit the dust in almost every test thrown at her. But by how much, I'm not gonna say. Firefox still earned a respectable third place. That and the abundance of Firefox add-ons and customization make this a no-brainer for your typical techie. And any respectable tech person shouldn't be caught dead using that piece of shit (IE). The only time I used it was when I download Firefox after a clean OS installation. Disabled it afterwards. I think they had several exploits that still weren't fixed in version 8. And those vulnerabilities had already existed for years.. Like DAMN. That gives you an idea of how the "quality" is with IE.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
One thing I used to like about IE, and no I don't use it anymore, was that I could chain proxies in the browser without any plugins or add-ons,(which I don't trust for purposes of anonymity and some have security issues). I really can't say that much else pro about it, myself.

Most of the people I knew who used offbyone did so because they surfed "where angels feared to tread" and besides being very fast it has few if any inherent vulnerabilities, even after all this time. So a little extra hassle was no big deal for them.

Some people use IE because it is what they are used to, like an old family station wagon they have come to rely on it. I have seen this before and some people don't believe there is a big difference in browsers and want to use what they are most comfortable with. It can seem really confusing to those of us who have made the switch and enjoy the change.

I enjoy reading this thread, it has been interesting hearing others input.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
IE's earned a bad reputation over the years amongst the tech-savvy. I personally avoid it still, but I have heard that they're working hard to turn IE into something on par with Firefox and that many people have actually made the switch back from Firefox to IE.

Personally, I'm intrigued by Chrome (which sounds like it might have Firefox-minded programmers coupled with a Microsoft-sized paycheck, which in turn sounds like a surefire success strategy), but it's still too young right now so I haven't even bothered to download it yet. Probably some time later this summer or early autumn.

My browsers are:
PC: Firefox
iPhone: Safari (by obligation -_-; )

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Browser

I have used Firefox (3.5) / Mozilla (1) / and a long time ago, Netscape Communicator (4.77).
I ceased using Microsoft Internet Explorer after a thread on a proxy & privacy forum to which I belonged identified a long list of hidden .dll files associated with MsIE which recorded every URL you viewed, whether you intentionally surfed there or not. :distressed:
Besides being hidden, they were difficult to edit (couldn't be deleted) because they were sewn up with your registry. Windows would put up warning dialog boxes at every step should you try that.
When I was running Windows 98, Netscape v4.77 was pretty good.
I like Firefox. I'm not going to go up to v3.60 though because I think v3.50 is good enough for now. Firefox's "about:config" feature is a keen assist for privacy and security. :relief:

Jul 1, 2009
Personally, I'm intrigued by Chrome (which sounds like it might have Firefox-minded programmers coupled with a Microsoft-sized paycheck, which in turn sounds like a surefire success strategy), but it's still too young right now so I haven't even bothered to download it yet. Probably some time later this summer or early autumn.

Chrome can never have real ad-blocking the way Firefox and Opera do without big changes in the codebase. It can't be my main browser without adblocking... :pissed: The adblocking on Chrome currently works by downloading the ad and then hiding it... saving bandwidth by not downloading ads is 50% of the benefit of ad-blocking.

Chrome's biggest benefit has been to push other browsers to up their game at rendering speed and memory usage. I thank it for that. :bye:

evididi

Sep 17, 2009
Please help me guys. I've been always used Firefox since it's faster and able to open all sorts of page compared to IE whereby you have the fastest internet connection but you have to constantly refresh. Altho firefox has some bad side, it doesn't bum me until today!! I've always thought inu629 posts without images and I don't download without seeing the images. I just now used IE and discovered that there ARE photos.

Does anyone knows how to fix this. I want to stay using Firefox and able to view all the pictures. I don't wanna open two browsers just for akiba http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/images/smilies/sweatdrop.gif

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Please help me guys. I've been always used Firefox since it's faster and able to open all sorts of page compared to IE whereby you have the fastest internet connection but you have to constantly refresh. Altho firefox has some bad side, it doesn't bum me until today!! I've always thought inu629 posts without images and I don't download without seeing the images. I just now used IE and discovered that there ARE photos.

Does anyone knows how to fix this. I want to stay using Firefox and able to view all the pictures. I don't wanna open two browsers just for akiba http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/images/smilies/sweatdrop.gif

You probably had akiba-online exempted from "load images automatically" option.

aznvietguy411

Oct 14, 2009
I use Firefox, been using it for quite a long time now. To be honest IE has it's ups and down but unlike Firefox, it's not secure. I also switch back and forth with Firefox and Google Chrome. Give Google Chrome a try, it has a different layout, fast and secure just like Firefox, but keep in mind. Google Chrome is still in the Beta Phase I believe, if not then correct me. But yeah Firefox or Google Chrome. Or you can use Safari, or Opera.

drunkstepdad

Aug 4, 2009
Firefox stinks... nobody wants to admit it, but Firefox's fans overlook the terrible way it STILL handles tables.

Opera and Chrome for personal use.

IE for professional use.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I use Opera so I don't know: how is table handling in Firefox terrible?

Saithan

Dec 31, 2006
I have disliked Microsofts approach since the 90's regarding the internet browser policy, and now that they've finally relented and agreed to let people choose which browser to use, most people (as I see it) have been brainwashed to use IE.

Brilliant strategy tbh, and the computer illiterates has learned to use the computer and internet etc. but it is brainwashing or indoctrination (as I see it).

I like Firefox and back in the 90's I liked Netscape, despite it's crashes and such at times.

I just hope next step is more OS that can run the same games I play today on XP.

That would be epic :cheer:

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
The adblocking on Chrome currently works by downloading the ad and then hiding it... saving bandwidth by not downloading ads is 50% of the benefit of ad-blocking.

Chrome's biggest benefit has been to push other browsers to up their game at rendering speed and memory usage. I thank it for that. :bye:

Good features coupled with something many dont talk about

I was told Chrome as well as Chrome OS has a bad habbit initself.
It's as good as using Ubuntu with any standard nix browser.
But its closed source instead of open source.

Another thing is that it tracks your surfing and stores it for Google to "prepare adspace for your interest"... in other words... if you thought a keylogger was bad... try a keylogger that indexes your system and puts it all on google.