Pen Spinning Madness

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Have you ever seen a Japanese person spin a pen? If you've ever spent time in a Japanese classroom, you've probably seen people spinning pens. They do it while they reading a test question or between writing notes during class. Most of the time, they don't seem conscious that they're doing it. They're not looking at their hand while they do it.

The basic spin is simple. (Well, it looks simple. I've never really tried to master it, but I can't do it.) Starting with the pen in standard ready-to-write position, you lower your thumb (to get it out of the way), and flick the pen or pencil with your index finger, so that it pivots around the fork between your thumb and index finger, and comes back to the original position. The you do it again. And again. And again. Sometimes to the point of irritating the people around you.

Probably 80% of the Japanese population can do this (and I think I've seen Koreans and Chinese do it, too), but I've never seen it done in the U.S. (except by Japanese).

Well, if you, like me, thought that was all there is to it--spin once around, stop, repeat--you're in for a surprise.

Check out this article, and then see the real thing.

The latter link is the entries sent in by contestants, listed in order of the number of votes they received. Note that the winner, Ryuki Ohmura, is number three on this list. The finalists were apparently chosen based on these videos, and then brought to Tokyo for the final, live competition. The guy whose video got the most votes (by a wide margin) certainly seems to have the most impressive video, but maybe he choked in the finals, or maybe the other finalists, after seeing each others videos, polished their techniques. Too bad they don't have videos of the final competition on the website.

The stuff these guys do with a pen and one hand is amazing, but I have to admit, as the parent of a teenager, that I couldn't help thinking, "So this is what these guys do when they're supposed to be studying." :evillaugh:

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I saw this on the news the other day. It's pretty wild. I actually was first exposed to it in the states before I came to Japan from a co-worker. He never told me & I didn't ask if he picked it up from someone or not. It took me about a year to master the basic spin.
desioner

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
My ex could do that for hours on end without tire. I can't hardly spin one even ONCE.

CL™©®

"Sucker for Seifuku"
May 21, 2007
Sorry.
It told me to wait 1 sec. because of the 15 sec time limit.
& then I see it posted it after I wait.
:bow-pray:

CL™©®

"Sucker for Seifuku"
May 21, 2007
This is old news.
So many ppl were doing this when I was in high school.
Mainly hongers.

I find it annoying sometimes.
Maybe it because I can't do it.
:D

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
This is old news.
So many ppl were doing this when I was in high school.
Mainly hongers.

Umm... I didn't say pen-spinning was new. I first saw it more than 20 years ago, and I assume it goes back much farther than that. What's new is this competition, and the sophistication of the spinning. This is as different from basic pen-spinning as current competitive skateboarding is from 1950s skate-boarding (when you literally nailed skates to a wooden board...and rolled forward).

I find it annoying sometimes.
Maybe it because I can't do it.
:D

It is annoying when it's done too much, but no more annoying than, say, gum-chewing (or, God forbid, bubble-blowing :distressed:).

Skyraida

Is Eating Your Internets
Mar 27, 2008
Pen Spinning is always a good way to take your mind of something. After tests and exams i usually walk home spinning my pen is one hand.

Kirin99

Jun 8, 2008
It is called pen-mawashi. It is very popular among the youth in Japan. They use especially large pens because of the added momentum. On a television special I once saw a guy spin a pen ten times on the joint of his thumb.

seigejet

Jan 30, 2008
It's popular among asian youths in general, though from my own experience, I've seen it more often when I was in Hong Kong and Japan, and not quite as much in Korea.

xLANx

Jun 25, 2008
is it really from japan..? i cud do it..it's quite ez actually..i think i learned it when i was in 2ndary skool from my fren..it's pretty relaxing 4 some reasons..hehe..

dustyblood

Aug 3, 2008
penspinning is pretty common these days i guess. I always do combos just for the sake of making my friend jealous.:evillaugh:

anyway, you guys should check out other forms of manipulation like card flourishing. Awesome stuff!

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
I can juggle any three objects, spin drumsticks and play intricate melodies on the piano and guitar but for the life of me I can't spin a pen once! Meanwhile, my Japanese wife, who can do none of those things, can spin a pen even in her sleep!