FIFA World Cup 2010

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Thanks, I think. :trance:

I never heard it used in that context before, but if it's literally correct, who am I to argue?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
You've never heard it used in that context!? :eek:y: How is that even possible? You've never heard someone say, "If you're sick, lay down" to someone they know is sick? You've never heard someone say, "If you've got a fever, maybe you should stay home from work today" to someone they know has a fever?

If you speak Japanese (do you?), how did you make heads or tails of なら if you've never even been familiar with the concept in your native tongue? :puzzled:

This is getting off-topic, though, so ... hmm. But man, you've puzzled me. I can't believe a native-speaking adult would claim to have no familiarity with this use of "if." Seriously. :eek:y: (You're not pulling my leg?)

Maybe Americans use it more than other Anglophile nations do. Don't you dare tell me you're a fellow American, as well ... :coldsweat:

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
This is going off topic, but yea your examples all make sense. It's just that to me using it in the context you used it sounds unnatural that's all.

:dunno:

And no I'm not American

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
Just watched the replay of Ghana-Uruguay. Really frustrating stuff!
How soccer can be called "the beautiful game" is completely beyond me.
If this, the World Cup, is supposed to be the greatest sporting spectacle on the planet, then it really is proof that a large majority of the human race are fucking brain dead!
The game is incredibly flawed simply because the laws are ludicrous!
That that Ghanaian "goal" was disallowed because someone cheated is preposterous!
The ball had no-one left to beat! It would have hit the back of the net had that illegal play not occurred! And people are defending it??? As part of the game!!??
It's utterly shameful for highly paid professionals to be a party to it and degrading, as a viewer, to bear witness to it.

Thankfully, the Tri-nations starts next weekend!

illuminatus3

Akiba Citizen
Oct 9, 2007
This is going off topic, but yea your examples all make sense. It's just that to me using it in the context you used it sounds unnatural that's all.

:dunno:

And no I'm not American

Don't feel so bad, I read it the other way too. Us non Americans have to stick together.:joker:

Just watched the replay of Ghana-Uruguay. Really frustrating stuff!
How soccer can be called "the beautiful game" is completely beyond me.
If this, the World Cup, is supposed to be the greatest sporting spectacle on the planet, then it really is proof that a large majority of the human race are fucking brain dead!
The game is incredibly flawed simply because the laws are ludicrous!
That that Ghanaian "goal" was disallowed because someone cheated is preposterous!
The ball had no-one left to beat! It would have hit the back of the net had that illegal play not occurred! And people are defending it??? As part of the game!!??
It's utterly shameful for highly paid professionals to be a party to it and degrading, as a viewer, to bear witness to it.

Thankfully, the Tri-nations starts next weekend!

Ha ha ha, the game, the worldcup and in particular FIFA can be very frustrating. Having played the game for decades, and on occasion taught the game, I can tell you sportsmanship has been missing for a long time. I honestly don't recall ever seeing the type of sportsmanship you're asking for in this or any other championship IMO. But truthfully, it's no different than any other sports (Tennis, cricket, American Football or Basketball) where a player commits a foul and points to the other player hoping the referee didn't see it so their team can get an advantage.

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
:study:

Denmark against Iran at a Carlsberg Cup match in 2003. Thinking he had heard the referee whistle for half-time, an Iranian defender picked up the ball inside his penalty area; unfortunately the whistle had come from the stands. "It was unfair to capitalise on that," said Wieghorst, who subsequently consulted with his coach Morten Olsen before firing wide. Although Denmark subsequently lost 1-0, Wieghorst at least picked up an Olympic Committee fair play award.

:cool:

illuminatus3

Akiba Citizen
Oct 9, 2007

Denmark against Iran at a Carlsberg Cup match in 2003. Thinking he had heard the referee whistle for half-time, an Iranian defender picked up the ball inside his penalty area; unfortunately the whistle had come from the stands. "It was unfair to capitalise on that," said Wieghorst, who subsequently consulted with his coach Morten Olsen before firing wide. Although Denmark subsequently lost 1-0, Wieghorst at least picked up an Olympic Committee fair play award.

Yes, thanks for this great reminder. In all fairness I should have said there are rare occurrences.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007

That is truly heart-warming to read and is how any game should be played regardless of it being amateur or professional!

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Handling the ball, in itself is not cheating, the rules say you get penalized if you handle the ball, the object of the game is to score goals, but if you are the defending team, the object is to stop you scoring goals at all costs, even getting sent off, the is the price you pay, it worked, Uruguay won, they did not cheat in that sense, but the cheat was the ball was over the line
Thank you

Teddy2000

a member
Aug 17, 2008
4 pages of new posts during the night? You guys are crazy. :sadomaso:

holland aka the country of nice beers :evil:

Ähem, Einspruch!!!!!!!!! Holland the country of nice beers :pandalaugh: That´s dishwater!!! You never had a German beer so far, did you? :cheer:

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
Ähem, Einspruch!!!!!!!!! Holland the country of nice beers :pandalaugh: That´s dishwater!!! You never had a German beer so far, did you? :cheer:

yeah i did but i prefer heineken :joker: though i drink more german beer since its cheaper :pandalaugh: becks,paulaner,warsteiner etc

and now back to topic

MULLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wohooooooooooooooooo

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

KLOSE!!!!!!!!

FT Argentina 0 - 4 Germany
half-time (0 - 1)

referee : spectators :
Ravshan Irmatov (Uzbekistan) 64,100
match details :
3' [0 - 1] T. Müller:shoot:
11' N. Otamendi :warning:
35' T. Müller:warning:
68' [0 - 2] M. Klose:shoot:
74' [0 - 3] A. Friedrich:shoot:
80' J. Mascherano :warning:
89' [0 - 4] M. Klose:shoot:
statistics :
shots on target : 7 - 6
shots off target : 8 - 8
possession (%) : 54 - 46
corner kicks : 5 - 4
offsides : 6 - 0
fouls : 19 - 10
yellow cards : 2 - 1
red cards : 0 - 0

Schweinsteiger man of the match :grassdance::grassdance:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
0 - 4 I never saw that coming, I thought Germany would win but not that much, I did think Tevez and Messi would score,

I think Spain will will tonight,

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Wow that was completely unexpected!

Well played germany.

So Messi, Kaka, Rooney, Torres (so far) scored no goals between them. Pretty amazing.

LOL at that Octopus pic!!

Teddy2000

a member
Aug 17, 2008
I´m speachless!!! I thought that we could win that game, but I never expected a 4-0 vs Argentina. Great! :happy: :happy: :happy:

And Klose, yes, 100 games for Germany, 52 goals now!!! :cheer: