Edit inbox

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Just wondering if there is a way to delete your privet messages from your inbox and sent box after the 5 min period? The messages on the forums are more like threads which is kind of cool, but still would be nice to be able to clear out discussions.
Like with the old system you could go though and clean out your past conversations. Is that possible now? I didn't see an option.

Thanks

Last edited:

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
Hi,
no. That's not possible.
you can close the "threads" in your conversations. But since there aren't any limitations anymore, the devs haven't implemented this.
(not even an admin can delete this)

So perhaps this will come later, but atm it's not possible.
you can try "leaving" the conversation - but i haven't tested what happens if you do this :)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
"conversations" likely are not much like "private messages" and I would assume they are not encrypted whatsoever (which some forums do as default though I do not think the old forum here did). If you want to keep your conversations private and you talk to the same people a lot you might try to set up a test encryption system with them. PGP is the best choice, and it is (or was) still freeware but there are other encryption programs available:

http://listoffreeware.com/list-best-free-text-encryption-software/

Steganography is another fun option when you wish to keep your information private. This way you can send amusing images to friends and hide messages in them using a common program like winrar (which also can be passprotected and has decent encryption itself).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/steganography/

I don't do any of this myself anymore but there was a time I did. So don't worry about your messages, just keep them private when you feel the need.

Reactions: Summer-Time-Fun

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Well, it would be a nice feature in the future. Either way, I've always treated the message system on forums as insecure. Encryption is nice to an extent. But an encrypted message can be saved by an adversary and later attacked. However, removing a message, (assuming it's not archived by the host here), at least at some point down the road it's probably totally gone once the data is overwritten on the server drives.

No big deal. My conversations are not that privet anyway, but I thought I would ask out of curiosity of the implementation. I just think it would be in the best interest for the safety of the forums. I'm sure mods don't have the time to monitor all of them, if they can at all.
Allowing users to clean up after themselves can be an important measure.

Last edited:

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Moderators and Admins can't access your conversations, until you add them to it :)

That's fine.
But I would not be concerned if the mods could read my messages. Mods are not the problem. We're all on the same page here.
A Hijacked forum on the other hand could be. I like the idea of saying something once, and the person in front of me hears it. ..and shortly after, there is only the echo to be found.

And why would I want to add a stinken mod anyway.. haha :D J/K

Last edited:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
And why would I want to add a stinken mod anyway.. haha :D J/K

I actually have done that myself. You can report a post even if it is a private conversation. I have been spammed and cursed via "pm" and either are valid reasons to report a post.

And while I know you were joking the mods here are pretty much a great group and fun to talk to. If I did not understand that they were also very busy people I would bother them more. The highest compliment you can give a member is to invite him to be a moderator and that is often because they are the type of model members that a forum staff appreciates having around.

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
I actually have done that myself. You can report a post even if it is a private conversation. I have been spammed and cursed via "pm" and either are valid reasons to report a post.

And while I know you were joking the mods here are pretty much a great group and fun to talk to.

I have to agree with you once again Ceewan!
In this busy and competitive day in age, it takes a disciplined and committed person to take time out of their day (in the real world) to manage and contribute to the enjoyment and appreciation of such a hobby as ours.
Mods are very much appreciated in my book. As much as I would honor the privilege to be a Mod myself, I honestly don't know if I would be fit for such a task. Hats off to the mods. Your time and commitment is very much appreciated by me, and far too many to name.

Last edited: