Do you only watch mecha anime?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

hollywool

Jan 11, 2012
Only mecha anime? No. But I'm close friends with many of the 'old school' bots ('70s~mid-'80s).
I'm talking Mazinger/Great Mazinger, Grandizer, Daimos, Raideen, God Mars, Ideon, Goshogun, Dougram, Gundam and many, many more.
So while I don't watch mecha anime exclusively, that will always be my first choice. I'm a techno-geek at heart.

mealtimeshadow

May 31, 2016
I'll watch anything, as long as it is good. When I was younger, I would've considered shojo manga/anime such as Fushigi Yugi and Marmalade Boy as a guilty pleasure.

Of the old mecha anime, Mazinger Z/Tranzor Z, SDF Macross stand out for me.
For 90's, Gundam 0083:Stardust Memory, Nadesico, Evangelion, Char's Counterattack. Macross Plus. There's Escaflowne which was half-fantasy half-mecha.

Beyond that, the only recent stuff to my memory is Gundam Unicorn and Gundam: The Origin.

Series I tried to watch, but couldn't get into: Gundam Wing, Macross Frontier, Macross Delta.

hollywool

Jan 11, 2012
Of the old mecha anime, Mazinger Z/Tranzor Z, SDF Macross stand out for me.
For 90's, Gundam 0083:Stardust Memory, Nadesico, Evangelion, Char's Counterattack. Macross Plus. There's Escaflowne which was half-fantasy half-mecha.

Beyond that, the only recent stuff to my memory is Gundam Unicorn and Gundam: The Origin.

Series I tried to watch, but couldn't get into: Gundam Wing, Macross Frontier, Macross Delta.

I strongly recommend the '80s favorite Votoms and its spinoff OAVs for some battlin' 'bot action. Sunrise is a master at such stuff, as anyone who's watched a Gundam series knows.
You can't go wrong with the Macross franchise, but even I'm having trouble with Macross Delta. Everything's all there, but it just doesn't feel right.
A couple of fairly recent anime I might suggest would be Argevollen and Cross Ange for your mecha fix.