Do you only watch mecha anime?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

vietbub

Dec 6, 2008
For me the only anime that i can watch to the finish are mecha anime. I've watched all of the Gundams (i think lol) and Code Geass (waiting for the third one hopefully) and Gurren Lagann ( it was horrible but i still watched it to the finsih) i tried watching other anime genres but always stopped watching movie in the middle.
I do read all types of manga though lol.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I seen-

Evangelion
Asura Cryin' first season
Blue Gender
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures
Full Metal Panic!
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna
Gin-iro no Olynsis
Macross/Robotech
Sailor Victory
Vandread

Currently watching Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari

I do not actively seek mechas but if its part of the story then I do not mind.

Bubble Gun Crises/ AD police series and Project A-ko have a little bit of mecha elements in them.

eragon2890

Fullmetal alchemist
May 1, 2010
I like everything! (except hentai, I find those boring :D )

A little robot bashin' and killin' can be quite fun ^^

I know it's not anime, but have you guys seen "transformers: revenge of the fallen"? Awesome spectacle, that movie... I saw it in Imax! :cool:

kagami hawke

Apr 27, 2010
I watch mecha alot, but I like some of the other genres better. I mianly just like the old Gundam series when it comes to mecha. I can't get into most of the newer stuff in the genre.

eragon2890

Fullmetal alchemist
May 1, 2010
I watch mecha alot, but I like some of the other genres better. I mianly just like the old Gundam series when it comes to mecha. I can't get into most of the newer stuff in the genre.

Why not? I liked Code Geass a lot :)

Big robots fighting makes me happy ^^

kagami hawke

Apr 27, 2010
Why not? I liked Code Geass a lot :)

Big robots fighting makes me happy ^^

I loved Code Geass, minus the begining of R2. I hated the first 5 or so episodes of R2. I loved everything else about the series though (never read the manga yet, so I mean everything except those), and I'm looking forward to the new season they announced.

Anyway, I dunno. I just miss the older mecha anime compared to the newer stuff. Like, I miss the old Gundam, because back then, it was purely about war and ideals. I loved to see the struggles of trying to force people to purely live in space and so on. Now, we have stuff like SEED, where it's about teens with space-angst. I like plot and character development and all, and that's why 08th MS Team is my favorite mecha anime, but some of the newer series just lose so much focus on the battles that I start to lose interest before I finish all the episodes.

I honestly haven't watched many of the newer mecha anime shows for a while though. So maybe if I tyr to watch something else recent, I'll start to change my mind. I just have a hard time finding new ones sometimes.

Daidarabocchi

Apr 14, 2010
No, I watch all kinds of anime. I actually don't have a real preference towards any genre in particular. I like mecha shows, but I totally can't stand shows that have that mecha-of-the-week format - though I like the occasional monster of the week show like "Gegege no Kitaro". I guess I like monsters waaaay more than technical stuff. :goodboy:
Then again those blasted mechas of the week seriously damaged the pacing of the otherwise excellent Ideon, so it might be a bit personal as well... :distressed:

But Hands down - Gunbuster is one of the best anime ever made! :cheer:

nekoparty

Jul 8, 2008
I watch all kinds of genres as well. Of course, everyone has their own tastes, but I would always suggest trying out a different variety of anime titles and dropping whichever ones you don't find interesting.

kitae

Jun 8, 2010
I like a lot of the Gundam series, mainly Gundam Wing. And of course, shows like Evangelion, Full Metal Panic, and Robotech are classics. Some of the newer mecha shows like Rah Xephon are pretty good.

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
all the mecha stuff before 2005 why cuz the new stuff sucks ass they focus too much on drawing's and less on the story (well all newer animes and mangas are like that a fucking pain in the ass)

gundam wing and seed a great

marcoss ofc

nge well after 14 or 16 episode it just gets plain dumb for me

escaflowne rulz but only if its in german hahaaaha

and so on and on

basicly old school rocks

poundmaker

Jun 15, 2008
No i can watch almost anything except love stories with no plot that contain every single generic character type. Example of characters - one with cat ears, one rich girl, one tsundre girl, etc...

Alpeia

Lycher
May 7, 2010
If you like the storylines from the old Gundam, then check out Gun Busters (The original not the remake) also if you like political/mystery try Patlabor movies (3rd one not as good as the first two.) I also would recommend Five Star Stories, but I haven't watched it yet but my friends says the story is good. And one of my favs, which has nothing to do with Mechs Gall Force Eternal Story, but dose have spaceships and war theme.

All of the above are cat earless. :hero:

P.S. The reason Gundam sucks since Seed is because Bandi is try to pull in the younger generation into it's marketing machine.

kagami hawke

Apr 27, 2010
All of the above are cat earless. :hero:

P.S. The reason Gundam sucks since Seed is because Bandi is try to pull in the younger generation into it's marketing machine.

If anyone wants a mecha series with a girl with cat ears, Candidate for the Goddess / Pilot Candidate has a girl like that (I think), but it's really short. I barely remember it enough to say if it was good or not.

Also, that makes sense about Gundam. They really had a huge turn in how it seems to be handled ever since SEED started. I haven't really liked anything from there and on yet (haven't seen Unicorn yet though).

RyuKaze

龍風
Jun 22, 2010
I personally watch all animes, regardless of the genre, although I have seen and enjoyed a fair few mecha series'.

I appreciate that it is your preference, but you really are missing out on some great Animes by limiting yourself to the one genre which has been moving (as stated before) away from the unique geo-political conflicts and ideals to the teen-popular 'action-only' with a weak setting and plot.

As for the Gundam series - I'd have to agree with kagami hawke 08th MS Team is one of the best out there. I did enjoy Wing, but it was a little too colourful and childish for my tastes; although the plot was interesting and the characters did have some engaging traits. SEED was a great piece of work, and even GSD was fairly good considering it's move away from believable plots and motives to 'introduce as many mecha as possible' (also Kira was too featured for being a 'supporting character'.)

Another series which I quite enjoyed was Eureka Seven, so if you haven't seen it already, it might be worth a look.

Joentjuh

Apr 19, 2009
How about the other way around, I generally only watch non mecha (and combat) anime.
It's not that I avoid them (some are story-wise very good) I just don't care about the mecha part.
Most mecha series (pretty much all of them if I remember correctly) are combat orientated and if they're not backup up by an incredibly good and/or funny story, I just don't care.

lacerKes

my hgame
Jan 1, 2011
I like many anime.I like the tragedy.So I like to watch tragedy animes.For example school days.It is the best anime in my mind.:grassdance:.I love the girl in this anime.Her name is Katsura Kotonoha.:grassdance:

evil_neo2056

Aug 20, 2008
I've seen them , but I prefer themes like, dark-supernatural, life-comedy and stuff:

K-on !:grassdance:, Bakuman, X'amd, Seitokai Yakuindomo, KissXSiss:exhausted:, Samurai Girls:sadomaso:.

Right now I'm watching "Star Driver" -mecha stuff-, but since its made from my favorite studio "BONES", it's really worth it.

Markvs_Bi

Dec 22, 2010
Anime seems to be the best format for mecha stories. So while this type is not. The only anime that i watch, i must say that it is my favorite robot tek started the anime craze for me. And the style of the fron mission games help mecha video games and their anime tie ins.