Discussion about DMM website

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

clemenceko

Jan 12, 2009
Maybe you can shed some light on this matter: You say the bandwidth offered by R18 is too low. And you can only stream 2 movies at the same time. Now I'm a little bit confused. :confused:
I thought R18 is a streaming site. Means if you want to watch a movie your directly stream it from their site using their video player. So you just need enough bandwidth for being able to stream it without any glitches in the movie, right?
Or is there some kind of caching within the player software R18 uses? Means the movie is loaded to your computer and can be played after it was downloaded completely?

Maybe he is referring to after paying for the movie where he can download to watch instead of the 7 day streaming option.

Reactions: Casshern2

Captain Bondage

Sep 30, 2013
Thanks for the heads up.
Yet - some movies are still missing, but not too many. Also several of the movies which 'came back' have no streaming options. You can download them (but see below), but if you use 'Watch Movie' button, it says there are no streaming options. So the work seems to go on still...

Please contact support and provide as much information as possible about which movies you are having trouble playing. It may have been something related to the site errors that happened last week or it could be something else. I cannot be sure, nor can I help you from this forum.

Marilith

Jan 11, 2011
Maybe you can shed some light on this matter: You say the bandwidth offered by R18 is too low. And you can only stream 2 movies at the same time. Now I'm a little bit confused. :confused:
I thought R18 is a streaming site. Means if you want to watch a movie your directly stream it from their site using their video player. So you just need enough bandwidth for being able to stream it without any glitches in the movie, right?
Or is there some kind of caching within the player software R18 uses? Means the movie is loaded to your computer and can be played after it was downloaded completely?
R18 offers several methods to watch movies (its not a streaming only site):

1) You can buy the movie - in this case you can watch via streaming or you can download the movie and watch it as long as you have an account with R18. (I think you can buy a movie for 7 days or so, in that case you have it only for 7 days)
2) You can subscribe to a channel and all the movies in this channel are 'yours', as long as you have subscribed the channel, which costs a monthly fee.

In general, if you 'have' a movie, either purchased or 'rented' via channel, you can select if you want to download it (and watch at your leisure on your computer) or if you want to watch it online via streaming. Downloaded movies need the R18 player and Internet connection to validate.

What I meant was, that usually (with a fast Internet connection) you can download 2 or even more movies at the same time. This is an advantage (provided you want more than one of course) since long routes are often a bit laggy, and two or more streams utilize your Internet connection better than one download. Also there are big movie downloads which come in two or more parts for one movie, which you will want to start simultaneously.

My complaint was, that I could start only one, maximum two downloads, then the site simply would stop to respond to more download requests, these timed out with no answer.
The downloads which worked were abysmally slow, around 100 KBytes/sec for each stream. My connection can download (tested!) usually with a maximum of 5 MBytes/sec.
Also streaming is quite laggy, you often have stops in the movie when data are not coming fast and continuous enough for uninterrupted play, this without any downloads at the same time. But on long routes this often is the case, and often even bigger buffers do not help. This is simply the Internet, and not the fault of R18. It makes it impossible to stream movies at a higher quality, since the streaming will lag several times every minute.

And to conclude my report: I do not have much time ATM, but I did a fast check and the movies are not only visible again, it is now again possible to stream them, so the system seems to be back to normal.

Edit: Typos and clarification.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodeGeek

Marilith

Jan 11, 2011
Please contact support and provide as much information as possible about which movies you are having trouble playing. It may have been something related to the site errors that happened last week or it could be something else. I cannot be sure, nor can I help you from this forum.
Again thanks for your answer - I do not have much free time ATM, but I did a fast check and the movies seem to be back to normal now, including that you can stream them.

As you reported 'back to normal', the movies were visible again, but most of the movies which disappeared reported 'No Streaming Option for this Movie', this is now also back to normal. (I could check only a few, but will report if I still find some movies which behave not normal).

I cannot check the download speed at this time, but when I have time again, I will check. Maybe this also is back to normal.

Edit: I did contact support with every question I posted here. I just wanted to reach a R18 person, since you are here answering questions...

Edit 2: I was contacted by a colleague of yours privately, and did answer with much information. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
R18 offers several methods to watch movies (its not a streaming only site):

1) You can buy the movie - in this case you can watch via streaming or you can download the movie and watch it as long as you have an account with R18. (I think you can buy a movie for 7 days or so, in that case you have it only for 7 days)
2) You can subscribe to a channel and all the movies in this channel are 'yours', as long as you have subscribed the channel, which costs a monthly fee.

In general, if you 'have' a movie, either purchased or 'rented' via channel, you can select if you want to download it (and watch at your leisure on your computer) or if you want to watch it online via streaming. Downloaded movies need the R18 player and Internet connection to validate.

What I meant was, that usually (with a fast Internet connection) you can download 2 or even more movies at the same time. This is an advantage (provided you want more than one of course) since long routes are often a bit laggy, and two or more streams utilize your Internet connection better than one download. Also there are big movie downloads which come in two or more parts for one movie, which you will want to start simultaneously.

My complaint was, that I could start only one, maximum two downloads, then the site simply would stop to respond to more download requests, these timed out with no answer.
The downloads which worked were abysmally slow, around 100 KBytes/sec for each stream. My connection can download (tested!) usually with a maximum of 5 MBytes/sec.
Also streaming is quite laggy, you often have stops in the movie when data are not coming fast and continuous enough for uninterrupted play, this without any downloads at the same time. But on long routes this often is the case, and often even bigger buffers do not help. This is simply the Internet, and not the fault of R18. It makes it impossible to stream movies at a higher quality, since the streaming will lag several times every minute.

And to conclude my report: I do not have much time ATM, but I did a fast check and the movies are not only visible again, it is now again possible to stream them, so the system seems to be back to normal.

Edit: Typos and clarification.
Thanks for the info, Marilith. :)

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
Quick update people! R18.com has now been optimized for mobile and we have added a new channel! The SOD channel is now available! Over 12,000 movies on that channel alone.

You guys really aren't making it easy to make a choice. I feel like a fat kid in a candy shop. :metabelo:

trytototo

Dec 11, 2012
I regularly buy video from Dmm.co.jp. My habit is download the HD version, and then watch with WMP player, for the past years.
I notice that starting from July, when I try to play the newly bought video from WMP, it showed that it wont support the file. So i started to look for the mattery, and find that I need to use the DMM player.

However, the DMM player give me a very very bad experience.
1) Not smooth in playback, it is jerky ( I am already using a high end computer with display card, dont tell me that it is not enough to play a video)
2) when i want to drag the bar to another time point, i need to wait ~ 10 seconds, in the past WMP can spontaneously move to any time point I want.

Is it possible to provide one more link to purchased user to DL the old WMP compatible version, at least before mid July when MS officially stop support?
Maybe other user can voice their comment regarding their view on DMM player/ or R player on R18.

I feel like I have paid the money, but get supoptimal product.

Netsplite

Dec 15, 2008
I regularly buy video from Dmm.co.jp. My habit is download the HD version, and then watch with WMP player, for the past years.
I notice that starting from July, when I try to play the newly bought video from WMP, it showed that it wont support the file. So i started to look for the mattery, and find that I need to use the DMM player.

1) Not smooth in playback, it is jerky ( I am already using a high end computer with display card, dont tell me that it is not enough to play a video)
2) when i want to drag the bar to another time point, i need to wait ~ 10 seconds, in the past WMP can spontaneously move to any time point I want.

Is it possible to provide one more link to purchased user to DL the old WMP compatible version, at least before mid July when MS officially stop support?
Maybe other user can voice their comment regarding their view on DMM player/ or R player on R18.

Having the same issues as well, also no option to resize to actual movie size instead it resized to full desktop so it looks all wrong (different aspect ratio / stretched out).

Please fix the DMM player as right now I'm not buying any other movies as the ones I bought can't be played right due to stuttering playback so not really worth it.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015

Let me try to help with this issue.

First. Are you downloading the content from DMM or from R18.com ? As for now you should be using R18.com from overseas as DMM is for the Japanese market and the Streaming and Download speed will be different as DMM does not use CDN for overseas and R18.com does use CDN.

Your points 1) and 2) should not happen for downloaded content. Please let me know your OS, content ID having this issue and confirm that you are using DMM PLayer and not R Player. I will try to investigate and replicate this issue in my end.

Unfortunately it is not possible to provide the WMP compatible version before MS officially stop support as the support will end next week. As Microsoft is stopping support we are right now converting all our movies to the new format so it may be that you are trying to play some movie not converted yet for the new player.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Having the same issues as well, also no option to resize to actual movie size instead it resized to full desktop so it looks all wrong (different aspect ratio / stretched out).

Please fix the DMM player as right now I'm not buying any other movies as the ones I bought can't be played right due to stuttering playback so not really worth it.

You can resize just resizing the Player windows to what ever size you like.

Please let me know ID of the product, OS and if you are using DMM PLayer or R Player and I will investigate.

trytototo

Dec 11, 2012
You can resize just resizing the Player windows to what ever size you like.

Please let me know ID of the product, OS and if you are using DMM PLayer or R Player and I will investigate.
Thansk!
it is Ipz-588 HD version, by Jessica kizca, using Dmm player. Purchased 3 days ago at full cost. If possible....plz provide wmv compatible version in Dmm purchased video column, so that customer like me can choose........
And overall Dmm player is much worse than WMP, WMP played well even in old PC, and DMM player, just as other silverlight player, is jerky, slow. It really made customer unsatisfied.

Netsplite

Dec 15, 2008
You can resize just resizing the Player windows to what ever size you like..

Only when you resize manually it doesn't resize while taking the aspect ratio into account, you have to guess the original content size which is all but perfect.
Would love an option to resize to actual content size as not all movies are 1080p and resizing to the entire screen just doesn't work when your desktop is >1080p (4k in my case), most modern players (MPC / VLC / Zoom) allow different view modes already and offer more options when it comes to playback control as well (as mentioned earlier skipping/rewinding can be buggy).

First. Are you downloading the content from DMM or from R18.com ? As for now you should be using R18.com from overseas as DMM is for the Japanese market and the Streaming and Download speed will be different as DMM does not use CDN for overseas and R18.com does use CDN.

Your points 1) and 2) should not happen for downloaded content. Please let me know your OS, content ID having this issue and confirm that you are using DMM PLayer and not R Player. I will try to investigate and replicate this issue in my end.

Unfortunately it is not possible to provide the WMP compatible version before MS officially stop support as the support will end next week. As Microsoft is stopping support we are right now converting all our movies to the new format so it may be that you are trying to play some movie not converted yet for the new player.

R18 doesn't have these movies listed yet so that was the reason to buy them at DMM, maybe now but unsure as the search on ID isn't working right on R18 at least.
HD DL+streaming was cheaper when converting to local currency and DMM just overall navigates better (less crowded more functional), got used to it and now where everything is so not a real problem.

My system:

Movie ID: WANZ-356 / http://www.dmm.co.jp/digital/videoa/-/detail/=/cid=wanz00356/
Playback: Local with DMM player (latest version)

Tested WANZ-356 before with WMP and it played perfectly so definitely caused by DMM player and not something on my system, also tried some non-DMM files (WMV without DRM) and those play jerky as well.

Understand that WMP isn't possible anymore due to Microsoft dropping server 2003 support and licensing software being solely designed for that, Silverlight however is already being dropped in Chrome and permanently in October so no workaround for streaming at least.
Microsoft will be dropping Silverlight in the next few years as well (supporting ending 2020 but no updates since ~2013 and no plans to maintain it), Windows 10's default browser won't offer support for it as well (only legacy IE).
Are you guys planning to move towards HTML5 DRM (Encrypted Media Extensions) in the near future?

Because that would mean less restrictions on mobile devices and more codec options (less bandwidth = less cost).

trytototo

Dec 11, 2012
1)

1) dmm.co.jp using proxy
2) dmm player not r player
3) jerky on downloaded video (hd) and when dragging to time point
4) os: window 7 64 bit with video card, i 7
5) i understand no more window support in mid july. I just think if possible to allow me to view using wmp at least before july for ipz 588. So that i can watch this in my computer even after mid july. As the licensing check only for first time play for purchased video.
This movie started on market since 27-6, so it means to me at that time there is wmp compatible version existing. So why not allow paid user to choose between wmp / dmm player version before official end date on mid july?
Isnt that more reasonable? Two version optional now until the end day on mid july?

Mar 28, 2008
Since there will no longer be WMP support in the near future.

When you download the movie to your comp. What type of file is it? Is it even a video file container at all???

Reactions: clemenceko

trytototo

Dec 11, 2012
Since there will no longer be WMP support in the near future.

When you download the movie to your comp. What type of file is it? Is it even a video file container at all???
I Purchased and dl from dmm on 5-7-2015.It is still a .wmv extension.But when using wmp to play, instead of looking for licensing, this time it said it won't support the file. It is playable in dmm player.But i encounted the pbm as mentioned in earlier post