Discussion about DMM website

Mar 28, 2008
I Purchased and dl from dmm on 5-7-2015.It is still a .wmv extension.But when using wmp to play, instead of looking for licensing, this time it said it won't support the file. It is playable in dmm player.But i encounted the pbm as mentioned in earlier post
What was the digital release date for the movie you purchased on 5-7-2015?

Reactions: Casshern2

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Thansk!
it is Ipz-588 HD version, by Jessica kizca, using Dmm player. Purchased 3 days ago at full cost. If possible....plz provide wmv compatible version in Dmm purchased video column, so that customer like me can choose........
And overall Dmm player is much worse than WMP, WMP played well even in old PC, and DMM player, just as other silverlight player, is jerky, slow. It really made customer unsatisfied.

Sorry but we cannot make the customer to chose the file type. This is more complex than more users will think.

Each movie is stored multiple times with different bitrates for download (WMV) and multiple files with different bitrates for Streaming (MP4). We have more than 200,000 movies so maintaining multiple bitrates/format of each movies takes a lot of TB. For this reason we are not going to duplicate every file in a different format which is not supported by Microsoft anymore.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Only when you resize manually it doesn't resize while taking the aspect ratio into account, you have to guess the original content size which is all but perfect.
Would love an option to resize to actual content size as not all movies are 1080p and resizing to the entire screen just doesn't work when your desktop is >1080p (4k in my case), most modern players (MPC / VLC / Zoom) allow different view modes already and offer more options when it comes to playback control as well (as mentioned earlier skipping/rewinding can be buggy).

I understand what you mean now. I will suggest this option to our developers to have an easy menu for aspect ration.

I have been trying what you mention and even you resize the screen manually you will not lose the aspect ration. The player will add black borders to the borders if you resize the screen to a wired size so the movie does not lose the aspect ration.

R18 doesn't have these movies listed yet so that was the reason to buy them at DMM, maybe now but unsure as the search on ID isn't working right on R18 at least.
HD DL+streaming was cheaper when converting to local currency and DMM just overall navigates better (less crowded more functional), got used to it and now where everything is so not a real problem.

R18.com does has this movie and you can search by ID in R18.com. This is a search result using the search:

http://www.r18.com/common/search/searchword=wanz00356/

The ID you mentioned (WANZ-356) is the phisical DVD ID. As R18.com does not have phisical DVDs "WANZ-356" will not show in a search but it will show if you look for the DIGITAL ID (wanz00356) that is the one you bought.

We tried this movie in mac, Windows 8 and Windows 7 but could not reproduce any issue at this moment. As many of you are complaining about this we will continue investigating. As your complains are coming from DMM Player and not R Player this will be handled by another team and not by my team directly.

My system:

Movie ID: WANZ-356 / http://www.dmm.co.jp/digital/videoa/-/detail/=/cid=wanz00356/
Playback: Local with DMM player (latest version)

Tested WANZ-356 before with WMP and it played perfectly so definitely caused by DMM player and not something on my system, also tried some non-DMM files (WMV without DRM) and those play jerky as well.

Understand that WMP isn't possible anymore due to Microsoft dropping server 2003 support and licensing software being solely designed for that, Silverlight however is already being dropped in Chrome and permanently in October so no workaround for streaming at least.
Microsoft will be dropping Silverlight in the next few years as well (supporting ending 2020 but no updates since ~2013 and no plans to maintain it), Windows 10's default browser won't offer support for it as well (only legacy IE).
Are you guys planning to move towards HTML5 DRM (Encrypted Media Extensions) in the near future?

Because that would mean less restrictions on mobile devices and more codec options (less bandwidth = less cost).

You are right and have a very good knowledge of what is going on with Silverlight.

I think EME is great an could be an option but at this point it is a W3C draft still. We will have to see when it gets to the final version.
This will solve some problems with Streaming but EME will not fix the issue with the downloaded files.

Reactions: Netsplite

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
1)

1) dmm.co.jp using proxy
2) dmm player not r player
3) jerky on downloaded video (hd) and when dragging to time point
4) os: window 7 64 bit with video card, i 7
5) i understand no more window support in mid july. I just think if possible to allow me to view using wmp at least before july for ipz 588. So that i can watch this in my computer even after mid july. As the licensing check only for first time play for purchased video.
This movie started on market since 27-6, so it means to me at that time there is wmp compatible version existing. So why not allow paid user to choose between wmp / dmm player version before official end date on mid july?
Isnt that more reasonable? Two version optional now until the end day on mid july?

Multiple versions of the same movie for more than 200,000 movies is a big Storage cost so this is not and option at the moment.

We tried to reproduce this issue with the movie you mentioned but could not reproduce any issue. I could see some time it may take around 4s when dragging the time point but I never noticed the movie to be jerky.

We will continue investigating about this issue.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Since there will no longer be WMP support in the near future.

When you download the movie to your comp. What type of file is it? Is it even a video file container at all???

Downloaded files will be still WMV but you will need to play them with DMM Player/R Player instead of WMP.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
I Purchased and dl from dmm on 5-7-2015.It is still a .wmv extension.But when using wmp to play, instead of looking for licensing, this time it said it won't support the file. It is playable in dmm player.But i encounted the pbm as mentioned in earlier post

WMP is not supported any more. You will need to play any downloaded movie with DMM Player or R Player as mentioned in MY LIBRARY since some weeks ago.

Mar 28, 2008
Downloaded files will be still WMV but you will need to play them with DMM Player/R Player instead of WMP.
I know R18.com are just foreign expendable lackies to DMM. So this isnt towards you guys.

I don't know who or what at DMM HQ thought it was a good idea to still keep WMV when implementing a new form of DRM.

WMV file you cant even play on a dedicated media player that is WMP lol.

Thank you for answering my question. I was curious what the file output would be when someone breaks the new DRM encryption and thus you download the file to your comp. Glad its still WMV.

trytototo

Dec 11, 2012
Maybe i try playing dmm player on another computer.
One more question, in dmm /r18, i can choose between 3k or 6k bitrate as quality. But if compared to the Dvd released for sale in japan , dvd quality= 6k or 3k digitally?

Mar 28, 2008
Maybe i try playing dmm player on another computer.
One more question, in dmm /r18, i can choose between 3k or 6k bitrate as quality. But if compared to the Dvd released for sale in japan , dvd quality= 6k or 3k digitally?
I dont know how much bitrate a dvd usually has.

But, digital copies of modern releases these days are better than their DVD counterparts.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I saw on R18 that there is the new pay per minute section now available! I’ve been so curious about how that works for so long because I remember seeing it long ago on DMM, but…it seems the link does not stay on R18 but goes to DMM? How does that work? Also, will current releases be available as pay per minute offerings? If not, how long does it take newer titles to make it to that section? And I noticed there are some labels missing, like Ruby. Thanks!

Reactions: clemenceko

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
I saw on R18 that there is the new pay per minute section now available! I’ve been so curious about how that works for so long because I remember seeing it long ago on DMM, but…it seems the link does not stay on R18 but goes to DMM? How does that work? Also, will current releases be available as pay per minute offerings? If not, how long does it take newer titles to make it to that section? And I noticed there are some labels missing, like Ruby. Thanks!
There is no PPM on R18.com. Maybe you saw a banner about PPM that goes to DMM. The only reason to have this banner is because R18.com does not have PPM service so we still want the user know that if you want to use PPM you still can do it on DMM

Reactions: clemenceko

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I see. I appreciate your answer. Any for the other questions?

Also, will current releases be available as pay per minute offerings? If not, how long does it take newer titles to make it to that section? And I noticed there are some labels missing, like Ruby. Thanks!

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
I see. I appreciate your answer. Any for the other questions?

Also, will current releases be available as pay per minute offerings? If not, how long does it take newer titles to make it to that section? And I noticed there are some labels missing, like Ruby. Thanks!

Usually it will be release at same moment as the VOD is released.
Some studios want to keep some months distance or do not want to sell it on PPM at all so at the end is depending of the contract with the studio.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I pay you Paypal and can you buy those movies for me?

i see R18 requires special credits cards i do not know, i thought it is for Japan only.

i give 150% video price, 50% of video price is gift for you.
possible?
http://www.r18.com/info/faq/: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, JCB, American Express
Okay, I don't know JCB. But the others are well known international credit cards. ;)

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I pay you Paypal and can you buy those movies for me?

i see R18 requires special credits cards i do not know, i thought it is for Japan only.

i give 150% video price, 50% of video price is gift for you.
possible?

They would have DRM on them and wouldn't play for you if someone else bought them.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Hello

i want to buy those videos,
but i do not have Japanese credit card.
I have Bitcoin and Paypal.
Anyone help?

International credit cards works with no problem:
Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, JCB and even American Express are accepted.

Reactions: Casshern2