Caching in on Google to dig up now-dead Akiba pages

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
I’m hoping to grab my profile picture from a Google-cached page from the old Akiba-Online, and I was wondering if there was anyone here who could teach me how to do that.

I know there is a little drop down menu arrow at the end of some Google search lines, allowing one to pick “Cache”; but when I tried that with prior Akiba-Online links, the images were excluded. (Example)

I also tried the Wayback Machine, which does not allow one to go beyond the first page or two – or at least not for me.

Months ago, I was impressed that Moderator IdolFun managed to dig up a page that had disappeared (Post 7 on this page; of course, the link no longer works, but “Firefox” forms part of the link if that means anything), and the page was intact. I would not dream of approaching IdolFun for an explanation, because he makes Mime Marcel Marceau look like a blabbermouth (especially impressive, since Monsieur Marceau is no longer with us and can’t talk), and the three words I would get from him would leave me further baffled.

The revelation of possible tricks could also be useful for those interested in finding lost attachments, in an effort to re-create posts and threads.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
From what I understand(I never really used it before), you pretty much do exactly what you did, but I doubt they also cache the pictures since it would take a lot of space. If the link to the pictures is still valid, it will show up, but if it's gone like all the old akiba's attachment, it won't.

I may be wrong about it, but that's what I observed after trying it a couple of times.

Reactions: 1 person

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
Dear SamKook, thank you so much for replying, and what a pleasure to hear from one of my favorite Akiba-Online people.

I managed to dig up my old avatar after all; maybe S.K. similarly had trouble finding his, as I see he has a brand new one.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I managed to find it too since I had about 20 akiba page still open in my browser that were still showing old cached page, but since the allowed avatar size isn't wasn't the same as before(after taking a look at your avatar, I see they changed the allowed height since I uploaded my new one), I decided to make a change.

Last edited by a moderator: