Caching in on Google to dig up now-dead Akiba pages

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
I’m hoping to grab my profile picture from a Google-cached page from the old Akiba-Online, and I was wondering if there was anyone here who could teach me how to do that.

I know there is a little drop down menu arrow at the end of some Google search lines, allowing one to pick “Cache”; but when I tried that with prior Akiba-Online links, the images were excluded. (Example)

I also tried the Wayback Machine, which does not allow one to go beyond the first page or two – or at least not for me.

Months ago, I was impressed that Moderator IdolFun managed to dig up a page that had disappeared (Post 7 on this page; of course, the link no longer works, but “Firefox” forms part of the link if that means anything), and the page was intact. I would not dream of approaching IdolFun for an explanation, because he makes Mime Marcel Marceau look like a blabbermouth (especially impressive, since Monsieur Marceau is no longer with us and can’t talk), and the three words I would get from him would leave me further baffled.

The revelation of possible tricks could also be useful for those interested in finding lost attachments, in an effort to re-create posts and threads.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
From what I understand(I never really used it before), you pretty much do exactly what you did, but I doubt they also cache the pictures since it would take a lot of space. If the link to the pictures is still valid, it will show up, but if it's gone like all the old akiba's attachment, it won't.

I may be wrong about it, but that's what I observed after trying it a couple of times.

Reactions: 1 person

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
Dear SamKook, thank you so much for replying, and what a pleasure to hear from one of my favorite Akiba-Online people.

I managed to dig up my old avatar after all; maybe S.K. similarly had trouble finding his, as I see he has a brand new one.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I managed to find it too since I had about 20 akiba page still open in my browser that were still showing old cached page, but since the allowed avatar size isn't wasn't the same as before(after taking a look at your avatar, I see they changed the allowed height since I uploaded my new one), I decided to make a change.

Last edited by a moderator: