AV Open 2016

BDrake

Akiba Citizen
Sep 29, 2015
all about personal taste, in my opinion about 90% of Aika videos have been subpar, but she has a great look! while Hibiki does her usual, underappreciated good stuff. DMM did award Hibiki performer of the year, while Aika won the popularity award

Don't get me wrong. I prefer Hibiki too. I just haven't seen anything this year that would make me agree with an award for her.

paparoach408

Akiba Citizen
Jun 14, 2012
Don't get me wrong. I prefer Hibiki too. I just haven't seen anything this year that would make me agree with an award for her.
probably because she isn't attached to any of the higher profile companies, while Aika does it regularly?

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
The DMM awards i think also happened a month ago
Performer of the year: Hibiki Otsuki
... Masami Ichikawa also won an award

Wait I am totally confused now, was the DMM award (2016) in the past tense or not? Why are we debating who's performer of the year? Wasn't that a month ago? Unfortunately I can't access DMM now. Anyone has a link or a second hand report?

As for who "deserve" an award or not. Remember these industry awards (in this case, it's one single company which holds a dominant position in the industry) is more about promotion rather than reward for demonstrated excellence. Even the supposed web-voting popularity award (Aika) I would not put it past any industry giant to stuff the ballot or "photoshop" the voting result to match their marketing strategy.

Which isn't like taking all the shine off Aika's "win", personally I'm not a fan, but her award still means she's someone to watch during the rest of 2016.

paparoach408

Akiba Citizen
Jun 14, 2012
Wait I am totally confused now, was the DMM award (2016) in the past tense or not? Why are we debating who's performer of the year? Wasn't that a month ago? Unfortunately I can't access DMM now. Anyone has a link or a second hand report?

As for who "deserve" an award or not. Remember these industry awards (in this case, it's one single company which holds a dominant position in the industry) is more about promotion rather than reward for demonstrated excellence. Even the supposed web-voting popularity award (Aika) I would not put it past any industry giant to stuff the ballot or "photoshop" the voting result to match their marketing strategy.

Which isn't like taking all the shine off Aika's "win", personally I'm not a fan, but her award still means she's someone to watch during the rest of 2016.

these have the results
http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2016/0...kami-hibiki-otsuki-shine-at-dmm-adult-awards/
http://blog.r18.com/post/144236317276/dmmr18-adult-award2016

I brought the dmm awards up pointing out where the voting might go during that

also your point i don't think it works with the DMM award because Hibiki isn't really attached to any top company it doesn't fit, maybe the other award show but not this one

Last edited:
Reactions: shawn720s

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
your point i don't think it works with the DMM award because Hibiki isn't really attached to any top company it doesn't fit, maybe the other award show but not this one

Just based on she's not a contract girl or exclusive contract girl? But I'd guess most of the minor studios where her recent vids are coming from are still one big family under one industry giant, DMM. The studios, big or small, are semi-independent, but they are all owned by one entity.

Actually combining a few things being mentioned: "isn't attached to any top company", "hasn't made any noteworthy vid in last year", and add this from your link:
For Hibiki Otsuki, an eight-year industry veteran, a lot of hard work finally paid off: She took the Best Actress prize. “Since my debut in 2008, I hadn’t won a top award at a commendation ceremony,” said the actress. “Many times I was frustrated, and I honestly thought that I would quit. But through the help of my fans I never did.”
It sure sounds like "ohh... we (the power-that-be) seem to have neglected you (Hibiki) all this time, here, let's give you this trophy and spotlight. And this year's hmm... read the trophy, right! Best Actress of the Year, goes to Hibiki Otsuki!" Even possible... that she let slip her "frustrated" and "I would quit" sentiment to her agency and the studios made a calculation, let her drifts towards retirement or give her a (big) award and keep/reboot her career.

Personally I'm happy with their decision. She's good performer, despite not having a lot of big releases lately. If you go by the high profile releases in 2015-2016, yeah I agree she's definitely not as deserving as Julia, Aika, Kaho Shibuya, Ayumi Shinoda, Shunka Ayami etc. Even Anri Okita, I'm not Anri's fan, but her last few vids up to her retirement were really excellent. But quality of the vids is secondary to (near) future commercial value, a retiring performer (Anri or Ai Uehara) would never get an award, no matter how amazing their vids are during that year. But Julia and Ayumi etc. had already won awards in the past. Eight years, she's frustrated and need some love and admiration, it's her turn.

Anyway I was saying I'm happy with her win. She's in a few of my fav vids, almost all of them non-solo works, e.g. last years AV Open: AVOP-164, AVOP-107, AVOP-131, or a 1/9 share of the star-studded MIMK-039. All the more suggestion that's she hasn't been a studios' favorite up until the award. And hopefully the award will boost her career and help her land some good studios and some good vids.

Reactions: paparoach408

paparoach408

Akiba Citizen
Jun 14, 2012
Just based on she's not a contract girl or exclusive contract girl? But I'd guess most of the minor studios where her recent vids are coming from are still one big family under one industry giant, DMM. The studios, big or small, are semi-independent, but they are all owned by one entity.

Actually combining a few things being mentioned: "isn't attached to any top company", "hasn't made any noteworthy vid in last year", and add this from your link:

It sure sounds like "ohh... we (the power-that-be) seem to have neglected you (Hibiki) all this time, here, let's give you this trophy and spotlight. And this year's hmm... read the trophy, right! Best Actress of the Year, goes to Hibiki Otsuki!" Even possible... that she let slip her "frustrated" and "I would quit" sentiment to her agency and the studios made a calculation, let her drifts towards retirement or give her a (big) award and keep/reboot her career.

but but but It didn't work with Ai Uehara, or Even Haruki Satou! the win then retire!!! who is winning next year Yui Hatano then she retires?!?!?!?!?!?!:aaaa:

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
No, Yui Hatano didn't win right? Hibiki won, so what will be topic of the day a year from now? :apa:

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
Hmm... a bit bored... it's a long wait to September for AVOP...

Let's stir something up with similar awards: Last year Moe Amatsuka, like Yua Mikami, was also DMM Best New Actress and AVOP 2015's spokesperson. What do you think of Moe Amatsuka? She's still very young, not quite 22. But I don't think she's lived up to the Best New Actress award. Yes she's with a big studio S1, but I have not been compelled to download any of her solo vids since the award. Whereas China Matsuoka (with Moe Amatsuka as AVOP 2015 co-spokesperson) seems to enjoy a higher profile.

Ok I'm biased by China's big lovely boobs, and her vids are more varied, including rope bondage, train molestation and hot spring. But really it does seem Moe is failing to make anyone (not just mine) top 2015/16 list.

Backtracking further, 2014's Best New Actress Marina Shiraishi also turned out quite mediocre, no?

Zen10101

Aug 20, 2008
I have a bit of trouble telling Moe apart from Saki Kouzai. But in any case, she seems like a less feminine version of Saki and her stuff are mostly too vanilla for my taste.

paparoach408

Akiba Citizen
Jun 14, 2012
Hmm... a bit bored... it's a long wait to September for AVOP...

Let's stir something up with similar awards: Last year Moe Amatsuka, like Yua Mikami, was also DMM Best New Actress and AVOP 2015's spokesperson. What do you think of Moe Amatsuka? She's still very young, not quite 22. But I don't think she's lived up to the Best New Actress award. Yes she's with a big studio S1, but I have not been compelled to download any of her solo vids since the award. Whereas China Matsuoka (with Moe Amatsuka as AVOP 2015 co-spokesperson) seems to enjoy a higher profile.

Ok I'm biased by China's big lovely boobs, and her vids are more varied, including rope bondage, train molestation and hot spring. But really it does seem Moe is failing to make anyone (not just mine) top 2015/16 list.

Backtracking further, 2014's Best New Actress Marina Shiraishi also turned out quite mediocre, no?

She's an S1S1 exclusive girl, she doesn't have a chance to be anything but mediocre being with them, Also don't get how you think China's videos are more varied then Marina, they are both SOD girls and Marina's videos are way more varied, she's a milf that does a bunch.

Also interesting news The Adult Brodcasting Awards also already happened, China Matsuoka won the 2016 Best New Actress, and Flash award.
Saki Hatsumi won Best Actress, Best video, Evening Award, and On Demand award
Best Mature Actress- Narumiya Iroha

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
What has Hibiki done this year to deserve that award? I think Aika's inconsistent, but even she deserves it more than Hibiki just based on the amount of work she's putting out.

like paparoach has posted above, Hibiki has done more AV than Aika, and she already well known in the bussines before Aika

Fair enough. I just haven't seen anyone talk about any exemplary videos from her especially this year. Aika's work is being far more hyped.

I agree that Aika seems more hyped, but Hibiki are very popular too and 2 previoust winners (Yui Hatano and Haruki Sato) are her close friends, so I think Hibiki have better "luck"

all about personal taste, in my opinion about 90% of Aika videos have been subpar, but she has a great look! while Hibiki does her usual, underappreciated good stuff. DMM did award Hibiki performer of the year, while Aika won the popularity award

I'm totally agree with that ;)

as my personal vote I will vote Hibiki the best performer for this year, and Aika next year

Last edited:
Reactions: paparoach408

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
She's an S1S1 exclusive girl, she doesn't have a chance to be anything but mediocre being with them, Also don't get how you think China's videos are more varied then Marina, they are both SOD girls and Marina's videos are way more varied, she's a milf that does a bunch.

Also interesting news The Adult Brodcasting Awards also already happened, China Matsuoka won the 2016 Best New Actress, and Flash award.

wow Saki Hatsumi won 4 awards ? but I think she deserve it, she also one of the most productive female performer beside Hibiki Otsuki and Aika

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
If I had to choose a performer of the year so far, I'd choose Kaho Shibuya. Skill, enthusiasm and consistency. All of her vids are quality even if the themes or finishes are not what I'm into.

but unfortunately for her :

1. total of her non compilations movies are still far behind Hibiki Otsuki and Aika

2. I do like chubby girl but I don't think a lot of voters will vote for chubby girl, the previoust 3 only Haruki Sato that not slim type

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
Also don't get how you think China's videos are more varied then Marina, they are both SOD girls and Marina's videos are way more varied, she's a milf that does a bunch.
Wait I didn't say that. I only compared the variety between China's and Moe's, their age and career are much more similar to each other. But I think China's development is stronger.

Marina's definitely making a lot of vids and a lot of genre vids. But her status in the industry seem lower than any of the other names mentioned in this thread so far.

Ok, good. China: let's hope her star keeps raising.

Saki Hatsumi 初美沙希: another name that escaped my radar screen so far... but scanning her covers... She looks like the kind of AV star I could really love: hot enough to solo an all-sex vid, but not so high and mighty to turn down non-solo vids and genre vids. Actually seem like almost 3/4 of her vids are the kind that should interest me. Especially she's in a few orgy ZUKO or group sex vids (so actually it's not true I had not known her, but I have not paid real attention to her name until now). I so regret not discovering her earlier.

Iroha Narimiya 成宮いろは hmm not my cup of tea. Debut at the age of 38, now she's 39. Just play the expect role of housewife or incestuous mom. Nevermind that my personal taste doesn't include older average-physique women. Even in the class of middle age performers she's unconvincing as this year's best. So fall back to my argument, the award is for boosting her visibility and sales rather reward for best performance or merit. Other more successful MILF may deserve an award more than Iroha, but (presumably) they already enjoy good sales so the studio calculate that more sales boost can be gained by giving to Iroha.

Actually the same might even be true for Saki Hatsumi. The award boosts her visibility so at least I am now paying more attention to her.

Reactions: Blade Runner

paparoach408

Akiba Citizen
Jun 14, 2012
Wait I didn't say that. I only compared the variety between China's and Moe's, their age and career are much more similar to each other. But I think China's development is stronger.

Marina's definitely making a lot of vids and a lot of genre vids. But her status in the industry seem lower than any of the other names mentioned in this thread so far.

Ok, good. China: let's hope her star keeps raising.

The power structure at SOD is. 1) Mana Sakura 2) Marina Shiraishi 3)Iori Kogawa 4)China Matsuoka

So Marina status is pretty good, but since she's not the top girl or popping out 3-5 videos a month it'll seem low. Also With China her star status will keep rising as long as she stays with SOD, or a 1 video a month contract girl working with a major company not named S1S1, I think her doing 3-5 video a month while she will be popular, she won't hit the star status like with Aimi Yoshikawa she could've been a star, but now she is just one of the girls.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
The power structure at SOD is. 1) Mana Sakura 2) Marina Shiraishi 3)Iori Kogawa 4)China Matsuoka

So Marina status is pretty good, but since she's not the top girl or popping out 3-5 videos a month it'll seem low. Also With China her star status will keep rising as long as she stays with SOD, or a 1 video a month contract girl working with a major company not named S1S1, I think her doing 3-5 video a month while she will be popular, she won't hit the star status like with Aimi Yoshikawa she could've been a star, but now she is just one of the girls.

btw what do you think about Aimi Yoshikawa's career in JAV would be better if she stay as contract girl or became freelancer ?

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
My biased view about contract girl or some kind of ranking/star power/status/success for any girls including Aimi Yoshikawa is that it's poison. Or at least a career retarder. Or another way to put it, JAV is kind of communistic about top idols.

When Aimi debuted, I was instantly a huge fan. She was a baby face with a devil's body, a sweet outside appearance but ready and willing to turn into the naughty girl. But very quickly the repetition of all sex vids gets boring an as she aged past 20, that very subtle hint of maturation was enough to turn her from a rare gem to just one of a number of hot busty young women.

I'm sure being a contract girl is good for her, but I've pretty much lost interest in her as a result. The same might be true for a number of other top level idols. The funny thing is, once Aimi is officially past her prime, and falls into a second-line idol status, that may be the most exciting thing.

One point is: the industry view of what is befitting the status of a top idol: generally all sex, not too hard core, no gonzo, no interracial, no anal, not even "cheap" gimmicks such as cosplay or role-play and fan-appreciation fest. Basically the logic is that a second-line idol (say Ayumi Shinoda) benefits from taking on a lot of role-play and variety. Therefore role-play and variety tarnish an idol as NOT top level.

Another classic case of top-status limiting a girl's development: Rion. And... I've just gone over a couple vids of Yua Mikami, particularly her supposedly blockbuster debut vid. Maybe I shall write a longer post on it... but the impression is what makes a blockbuster, a top idol isn't the same it the best the most exciting in my JAV taste.

paparoach408

Akiba Citizen
Jun 14, 2012
My biased view about contract girl or some kind of ranking/star power/status/success for any girls including Aimi Yoshikawa is that it's poison. Or at least a career retarder. Or another way to put it, JAV is kind of communistic about top idols.

i would like to know who's career it has poisoned, because personally if done right i think it makes many girls into "stars, or superstars"

When Aimi debuted, I was instantly a huge fan. She was a baby face with a devil's body, a sweet outside appearance but ready and willing to turn into the naughty girl. But very quickly the repetition of all sex vids gets boring an as she aged past 20, that very subtle hint of maturation was enough to turn her from a rare gem to just one of a number of hot busty young women.

She was a rare gem, at SOD(who do Formulaic, but unique things showing us the best in girls) but when she left to be the face of TeamZero, then one of the s1s1 girls that's what killed her off doing that repetitive crap before making a mark and i don't see her as a girl that should be doing many videos a month, because she's not really "unique" anymore, maybe if she waited a little longer then sure, but i'm not feeling her anymore.
I'm sure being a contract girl is good for her, but I've pretty much lost interest in her as a result. The same might be true for a number of other top level idols. The funny thing is, once Aimi is officially past her prime, and falls into a second-line idol status, that may be the most exciting thing.

Aimi hasn't been a contract girl since early 2015

One point is: the industry view of what is befitting the status of a top idol: generally all sex, not too hard core, no gonzo, no interracial, no anal, not even "cheap" gimmicks such as cosplay or role-play and fan-appreciation fest. Basically the logic is that a second-line idol (say Ayumi Shinoda) benefits from taking on a lot of role-play and variety. Therefore role-play and variety tarnish an idol as NOT top level.
don't really think that besides IR(which is newly growing in popularity), and anal(which doesn't seem that popular) i see everything else all the time, even at S1S1!!!

Another classic case of top-status limiting a girl's development: Rion. And... I've just gone over a couple vids of Yua Mikami, particularly her supposedly blockbuster debut vid. Maybe I shall write a longer post on it... but the impression is what makes a blockbuster, a top idol isn't the same it the best the most exciting in my JAV taste.

Rion is a bad example, all indications is that she was never really into doing JAV long term, and just came for the money and bounced.

And you should do a post on Yua Mikami because i don't see her at all as ever being a top idol, just a very "generic" one and i haven't been impressed by any of her work, I don't see how she's so popular i think if it wasn't for the SKE48 affiliation, nobody would care about her

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
And you should do a post on Yua Mikami because i don't see her at all as ever being a top idol, just a very "generic" one and i haven't been impressed by any of her work, I don't see how she's so popular i think if it wasn't for the SKE48 affiliation, nobody would care about her

That's exactly it. She was a mainstream idol, and her debut vid and it seems the follow-up vids play up that ... "oh she's a real mainstream and she's only doing this first and last AV as an artiste, and don't even think that she's your run-of-the-mill porn-whore who has no other valuable skill than to spread her legs and swallow cum. Buy this vid now because tomorrow she might quit porn and go back to the prime time big stage and sing and dance and act."

Of course we know her mainstream days are over and she has no other source of income other than porn and in the foreseeable future maybe a high class hostess or girlfriend for hire.

The silly thing is that the JAV customers are lapping it up. Basically the vid(s) sell like gangbusters as if it's Paris Hilton sex tape, but of course Paris Hilton sex tape sell tabloids not porn DVD's, and no one masturbate to it. And problem is outside of Japan (we the global JAV fandom) we never heard of Momona Kito 鬼頭桃菜 (her former nom de stage in SKE48), even in Japan she's so not big that she lacks her own Wikipedia page.

Frankly I won't be sorry to see her current stardom falls flat on her face and she get up and make some honest porno. She's pretty enough, and I'm sure she can be good at sucking and fucking, if she's not already very skillful. And presumably she can sing a bit and talk in public (a skill not as universal as you'd think for AV workers). And with her preexisting fame maybe the studio would feel safe about dumping some money into a production budget.

Of course it's all wishful thinking. Being communistic means that her SKE48 fame is enough to sell AV's then the studios will only let her make boring conservative vids.

Reactions: shawn720s

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012

then you should watch more of her adult movies ;)

probably because she isn't attached to any of the higher profile companies, while Aika does it regularly?

true

but I like to search her movies from mediocre companies and project, and from what I have seen I think (yes it can be subjective) she has done some great jobs, she made the movie look better