WHERE SLEEP CHEAP IN TOKYO?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Chewie

Dec 6, 2007
Cheapest way to get to Japan: Join an exchange program.You'll live with a host family for a long time. -> free food + free lodging <3

gizmogal

Nov 10, 2006
any exchange programs you'd recommend?

Jan 3, 2008
how about the gutter, just make a minor offense like eating with knife and fork or shitting on the lawn of the emperor and youre settled.
you dont have to worry that you might be getting hammered in the buttocks either because japanese people dont have penises just check the adult mangas, its always a black spot where their penises should be.

ASSASSIN27

ASSASSIN27
Sep 29, 2007
I have a 3 bedroom apt. really close to Shinjuku Station. My room is empty until April because I'm finishing my degree in America. The room will be available for an affordable price, but you have to contact one of my housemates to get more info (must have a way to call a cell phone in tokyo also, sorry). My housemates are real cool though and they are Japanese (1 guy and 1 girl, both university students). If interested message me. Oh and make sure you go over the NEW regulations on work visa's in Japan if your not already there (need criminal background check, medical records from a hospital and register with health officials at least, but no later than 90 days after arriving in Japan). *NO CREEPS OR WEIRDOS PLEASE because Mari (the girl) is just getting used to my hentai lifestyle and thinks it's funny, but is by far still too innocent for completely foreign strangeness. Thanks.

bunniesneakers

From K15
Jan 7, 2008
If you are REALLY a cheap one,
just get a membership at 24-hour net cafe and sleep there.
They have private booths, food, drink, etc.
(thats what a lot of teens do, just for sleep)

But if you're looking to STAY in Japan.
Get a VISA get JOB and get a place to LIVE.

Evil Kitten

May 25, 2007
I don't know how you get a work visa or a job that would pay anything worth the trouble. Japan is 98% native Japanese for a reason: They make it nearly impossible for foreigners to make a decent living there. Most of the people I know who lived in Japan only managed to do so because they...

1. Studied there instead of worked there (parents/scholarship)
2. Were foreign consultants paid through a third party
3. Were stationed at a base there in armed forces duty

That's pretty much it for people I knew personally.

Then there are people who work as English teachers for almost no pay and manage to get married and become citizens. That's about the only way for most gajin to have any chance of living in Japan for as long as they want.

I suggest you go there as a tourist, it's a lot more fun and you won't have to worry about being treated like dog shit by your boss or your landlord.

I can give advice on hotels if it's wanted, but everywhere I've stayed recently was around 20,000円 per night.

chickensaw

Mar 24, 2007
A fair number of foreigners have managed to make it into Japanese companies and eke out a living simply because they did the obvious: they learned Japanese. And I don't mean just the sort of Japanese you need to read manga, I mean the whole nine yards. Kanji, honorifics, etc. True, there is an element of xenophobia and visa nonsense which makes it difficult for *some* nationalities to gain entry (read: other Asians) but honestly it is no different than the US or anywhere else.

Try getting anywhere in the states without knowing GOOD English. You won't get anywhere. A ton of foreigners I've met in Japan have never bothered to learn the language, so they don't get very far at all.

Cheap hotels: TOYOKO INN. How many times can I say this? Tokyo you can stay for 7000 yen a night, tax included - it's cheap, clean, and efficient. None of that sketchy guesthouse nonsense.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
For what it's worth, I've had a full-time, permanent, salaried job in Japan for eight years. (No, I'm not a language teacher, and I wasn't sent from my home country by a branch of the same company. My company has no foreign branches, and my day-to-day duties involve no English whatsoever.) But I spent a year here in college as an exchange student, and was fluent in Japanese by the time I was 22. I was married to a Japanese woman for many years, but that was not a factor when I was hired.

But even a Caucasian male like me faces daily, petty discrimination. Nothing worse than what Asians or Africans face in the U.S. on a daily basis, though. You either learn to live with it, or you leave. Or you can become one of those annoying ex-pats who bitch about the Japanese all the time and only hang out with other foreigners. I avoid such people like the plague, which may be why my only non-Japanese friends here in Japan are South Korean nationals. :goodboy: