WHERE SLEEP CHEAP IN TOKYO?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

sensei

legwarmers addict
Jan 25, 2007
hi.

lookin for cheap places in tokyo,to sleep.

i'm goin there soon,to meet bands,and shoot a movie about underground tokyo.

as i'm producing this myself,i must find the cheapest place around to stay as long as i can so i can shoot a nice ,deep view of tokyo.

anythig u don't see on regular video guides.

so if u know cheap joints,hostels,tube hotels(how big are those tubes?whe are pretty tall,here in europe...),or know crazy people,or strange places(nothing everybody knows)i want to meet u.

any help appreciated,no money involved(yet).

anyhow,knowing cheap hotels is something interesting for veryone here,i think,rather than the fancy ones in the guides here.

kind regards to u all.

Gaiarth

Jan 9, 2007
I've stayed at the Kimi Ryokan on a number of occasions. It's relatively cheap, very relaxed and is set up to cater for foreigners. In fact, it's quite well known, so you would have to be sure and book in advance. Because it caters to a wide range of people, there is also a good chance of meeting someone interesting there...

Other than that, I believe the Youth Hostels are about the cheapest places you can stay in Tokyo, but I've not heard great things about them as far as flexability goes.

If you were thinking really long term, then you might want to look into Gaijin Houses. They generally charge by the month, and may well be cheaper than staying at a place that charges nightly. Unfortunately I don't know that much about them, so you'll have to do a little Googling

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
This summer I spent some time at the sakura hostel at under 3000 yen (15, $29)/night. What you get is a bed, a tiny locker and about 8 other people (co-ed) to talk to (if they feel talkative) and they have some computers downstairs; you can use them as long as you like but internet access is done by voucher and is 200yen/hour (enough time to download some anime via IRC and spend a couple hours after it expired watching it). The staff are also pretty cool and the whole place overlooks a small run-down but still operational theme park.

The breakfast there isn't worth the 100yen, it's just toast, but just around the corner is one of those vending-machine ticket cafes that do good breakfat food like beef hash and rice...

It's in Asakusa so you can get the ginza line to wherever you gotta go (goes to Kanda, ginza and shibuya where you can get on the Yamanote line to absolutely anywhere) and of course suehirocho station which you get off at if you wanna go to Akiba.

Asakusa is probably the best place to stay in tokyo if you like wandering around back streets, small restaurants and their market is pretty awesome.

Tamichi

Local Psychopath
Jan 24, 2007
crash at a buddies, way cheaper than those other options, actually it's usually free :D just don't overstay your welcome

weems

Dec 31, 2006
I wish I had a buddy in tokyo... well ive met some people on skype... but ive never actually MET them so that would be awkward.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
I was forced to sleep outside one night in Hiroshima (no hotels with rooms and no shinkansen to sleep on after 9pm) and it wasn't so bad at all. I just read until I passed out. It was warm and most benches had someone sleeping on them (you will never feel alone sleeping rough in Japan, since you're never more than 10 feet away from a bum)

nanone

Feb 18, 2007
manga kissa (manga cafe) night pack (pm11-am8) 1,000yen-2,500yen [6-8hours]
Kapsel hotel (pm3-pm9) 1,700yen ,(pm9-morning) 3,000yen
koshitsu video (Video Box) 6hours 2,000yen 12hours 3,000yen

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
If people are still looking for a cheap place, let me know and I'll give you a few phone numbers to call when you arrive (or even before)

zookeeper

Dec 21, 2006
I've stayed at Juyoh and New Koyo before...and they were both great. Juyoh was the better one IMO; with free wi-fi access, and computers you can use for free downstairs. A very friendly staff, and the rooms were also pretty nice. They have a public bath on the top floor. Both hotels are located in Minami-Senju (about two train stops away from Akiba, wooo!)

http://www.juyoh.co.jp/document/english/english.html

http://www.newkoyo.com

Minami Senju is the day laborer neighborhood, isn't it?

chickensaw

Mar 24, 2007
Minami-senju is is one of the worst parts of Tokyo. It's one of those stations PAST Ueno heading into Ibaraki and Chiba. Of course most places like that advertise how "close to Asakusa" they are - but Asakusa is far more upscale by comparison. For those of you oscillating between $20 a night and $200 a night, google "Toyoko Inn." It's a business hotel.

You can get all sorts of locations ranging from Kabukicho (Shinjuku) to Asakusa, I believe. A single should set you back around $50-60 a night.

akibakenji

Akiba Kei
Mar 25, 2007
Minami-senju's not so bad...sure, it's definitely the "darker" side of Tokyo, but I've yet to have problems there after multiple trips. You stay in Minami-senju only to sleep, anyhow. I've even walked the empty streets at night, and the bums were harmless. The fact that it's only 2 two train stops away from Akihabara makes things very convenient for me.

reyfer

Apr 2, 2007
I don't think Minani-Senju is "one of the worst parts of Tokyo". I have been at the New Koyo on two of the three times I've been in Tokyo, and it is pretty nice. I even got from the hotel to Senso-ji in Asakusa using one of the hotel's bicycles.

Anyway, if you want REALLY cheap accommodations in Tokyo, try with the people at the Couch Surfing network http://www.couchsurfing.com
There you can find people that will take you on for free, although the time you can spend on each place is limited. But it's worth checking it out.

Oh, and the last time I was in Tokyo (in January), I stayed here http://www.yoshidahouse.net/en/index_en.html

chickensaw

Mar 24, 2007
Minami-senju is far safer than any Western equivalent, but that doesn't stop it from being a seedy area of Tokyo. Past Ueno you enter the shadier areas with love hotels by the dozen, not particularly surprising since historically the area was a red light district about a century and a half ago (Iriya/Minowa/Uguisudani).

Personally I would head the other way toward Yokohama, or even head toward Edogawa and Arakawa wards (east Tokyo), toward Chiba. You will get equally good access to the remainder of the city, but actually stay in a relatively nice and more upscale neighborhood.

Ether

flaming hobo
Dec 7, 2006
sleep in a train until they kick you out \o/

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Cheap sleep

I stayed at the Juyoh Hotel one time there. It was o.k. But twice, I missed my stop (yes, it was Minami-Senju on the Hibiya line - I fell asleep) and ran afoul of the Juyoh's 1 a.m. curfew. Even that late at night, I encountered nothing else hazardous in Minami-Senju.
Somehow, someone downstairs in the lobby on the computer let me inside.
The place I stay at now is the Khaosan Group's 'Smile' hostel in Sumida-Ku, just across the river from Asakusa. It is five blocks from the Toei Asakusa line's Asakusa station (on the line which runs to Narita Airport), six blocks to the Tokyo Metro Ginza line, cheap [¥2,000 | night for a four-bed dorm room], has no curfew, has free internet computers (and free wi-fi if you have a laptop), and runs a tavern called 'Bar 23'. You get one free drink for each night you stay at the hostel, and succeeding drinks are 3 / ¥1,000.
The less I spend on accommodations, the more money I have to buy AV DVDs. :grassdance: