good (cheap) place to stay around Shibuya-ku Hiroo?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

virus2

May 8, 2007
I'll be in Tokyo end of the month for about 4 days amd was wondering if anyone knows a good place to stay around Shibuya-ku Hiroo? I'm meeting a friend so I would really prefer someplace close to there, or more specific, close to the University of the Sacred Heart

I'm a poor college student so a cheap place, like a hostel, would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Budget lodging on the west side of Tokyo is a little hard to come by; most hostels (¥2000-3000/night) are on the east side, around Ueno and into Asakusa. Ryokans are also a good option (¥4000-5000/night).

JR Yamanote train is very efficient, so you might also consider looking for a place around Shinjuku or Ikebukuro (5-10min away from Shibuya station). If budget is a big concern, Hiroo is right on the Tokyo Metro (subway) Hibiya (日比谷) line which runs direct from Ueno (30min). Take a look at the University's location here:
http://www.u-sacred-heart.ac.jp/english/general_info/maps.htm

Around Ueno, I have stayed at Oak Hotel (really a hostel, but with individual rooms), about 7min walking from Ueno station.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
You are really better off staying on the east side. I highly recommend the Khaosan Tokyo hostel group; in particular, the Smile location. :goodmood:
It's a short walk to both the Toei Asakusa Line (which is an easy transfer to/from the Keisei Line to Narita Airport), and the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line, which runs from Asakusa to Shibuya.

kamenramen

Jun 20, 2008
If you're really on a budget and have nowhere else to stay you can usually go to any 24hour internet cafe bar and stay there over night, a lot of Japanese people prefer to do this if they have missed their last train back home.

Doing so is cheaper than a hostel or ryokan, with the added bonus of internet, a massive collection of books and magazines to read, PS2's (probably PS3's in most now), and a lot of places offer full shower facilities.

I did this myself when i was in Shibuya, i had traveled back down from Miyagi and i had three days before going down to Kyoto, i couldn't be bothered looking around for a hostel so i just went straight for the first internet cafe i could find with a shower.

My memory is a little fuzzy (this was in 2006), but coming out from Shibuya station via the Hachikō Exit, i walked across the Scramble Crossing towards the 109 building and went down past the left hand side of that, kept walking for a minute or two up that road and found a really good 24 hour internet cafe there.

If you have lot's of luggage on you, and can't be bothered dragging it around, you can always store it in the large lockers available in each station, i did this and only returned to get clean underwear and socks, past that, my backpack carried toothpaste and showergel, and a spare t-shirt if needed.

Hope this helps mate, all the best, ganbatte!

virus2

May 8, 2007
just want to thank everyone who responded and let you guys know that I stayed at Khaosan Ninja and the last night at an internet cafe in Shibuya.

Khaosan Ninja is really a new hostel they aren't finished with the renovation yet), but it is one of the better hostels I've visited (for the price). friendly staff, free wifi internet, close to Asakusabashi (JR Line and Toei subway) and shower room is quite clean as it is very new