Looking for a Hotel in Tokyo

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Evil Kitten

May 25, 2007
If you were spending a weekend in Tokyo where would you stay and why? I've been to Tokyo proper once before and I stayed at a funky old fashioned ryoken in Ueno. It was pretty neat but it was also more of a hassle than I'm used to. It looked just like a large house so finding it proved to be rather difficult. And, something about having a portable gas heater with rice paper walls just didn't sit very well with me. Anyway, I'm just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for places you would stay for a weekend in Tokyo. If you're wondering what my limit is, well, I'm not sure. I tend to focus on value more than the cheapest rate but good values can be hard find in cities like Tokyo. IIRC my ryoken was actually pretty cheap at around $100 per night, but I'm expecting to pay more for a better location this time around. All suggestions welcome.

*I kept this request out of the other thread because I'm not really interested in a hostel. Once you're past college age you tend to take things like having your own space for granted.

:sleeping:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
There are actually hostels that give you your own single room, and some of them even provide you with your own ensuite bathroom. Oak Hotel is one of them, located at Ueno (albeit a 10 minute walk, which can be a little long if you have luggage). They also provide free internet in the lobby as well as in your room, but there is no breakfast. Also, the hostel is actually very quiet (unlike most hostels), though you occasionally hear doors open and close; there is also no curfew. Rates are from ¥4500 to ¥6000 depending on season.

I have also stayed in Andon Ryokan, which is technically a hotel, but with shared bath facilities. But the overall hotel is very uniquely designed, and a very good full breakfast is available for ¥500 (which is more than reasonable for Tokyo). Free internet is also available in-room. 5 minute walk from closest subway stop. Rates around ¥8200.

There are also capsule hotels, but I won't recommend them since the level of privacy is far worse than even most hostels--although for me it was fun to experience it at least once!

For additional info, I found The Rough Guide: Japan to have the most comprehensive listing of hotels. Unfortunately at least half of the listings are for large budgets ($150/night or above), but for the budget accomodations, it still has the largest listing I have found in any travel guide.

You may also look through Lonely Planet's guides, but be wary: while the information is generally more concise than the Rough Guide, I found that some of the information was out-of-date (such as business hours and directions), and subsequently was not able to see a handful of places.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Old thread I know, but if I had to use a hotel, I'd go back th the Grand Intercon hotel. One hell of a view from our room.