What is the average pay that a Japanese brings home a week...?

jav.seeker

Oct 19, 2009
How much do the typical Japanese make a week... say like a desk job or working in a office..

In American most people make around $300 to $400 a week... or ( 27,500/37,000 Yen ) doing a desk job or some office work

So I like to know how much does a typical Japanese need to make to have a decent life...

Also if you can give example of your job and how much you make compare to your living standred.. Please add your comments and opinions

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
There's one big difference between Japanese work situation and American: in the case of women working standard office jobs, a lot of them continue to live at home with their parents (and sometimes grandparents), meaning they do not have to pay rent or worry about food. So while they could be making comparatively less, everything they earn is disposable, so they can frequently enjoy shopping/traveling/etc.

There are of course other work situations that could have higher or lower living standards. There is no one single "typical" work situation.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I was going to reply earlier today, but thanks to guy, I don't need to give my crusty jaded experience. Thanks guy. :)

Oct 6, 2007
There are too many factors that apply to this thread (even more than North America I would assume).

In Japan even though women have rights, they still don't get paid as much as men and depending on which University you graduated from ultimately depends if you get a really good job that still offers "lifetime employment" which I believe is only 30% of the Japanese companies these days (and you have to be Japanese to get this type of job).

Another factor is Japanese CEO's don't make nearly as much as North American CEO's do. Average Japanese CEO only makes 18x more than an average worker while in North America they make 119x more.

PillageTea

Dec 25, 2009
it's hard to say who makes how much depending on what job, what sex, and how many years of experience they have. of course, typically they make less then the us if its the same position/field. and like harutoaso says..women makes a lot less...sad but true.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
"They make less then the us"

Oh? How do you figure that?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Don't forget that the US dollar is absolute shit right now. This is terrible for Japanese exports (as big consumers like America have less purchasing power to buy new TVs and such), but Japanese consumers are having quite a field day being able to vacation in America at substantial discounts! Whether or not their bottom line is more than ours is debateable, but it's certainly arguable they're getting more value for their earnings.

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
According to official sources, the average monthly total cash earnings per regular employee in October 2009 was JPY 295,900. To answer the OP's question, that gives JPY 73,975 per average week of 37.4 working hours.

If you care to check the price index and expenditure lists, you'll see that it's really not much at all.

imported_the_laughing_man

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
I normally take home JPY 412,000 a month and my wife JPY 305,000. That's working between 35 and 42 hours.

But it depends on your job in all honesty.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Not bad!

Axandra's link reveals (via this link) that now's not been a good time to be a restauranteur in Japan. :\ Apparently if 2005 was set as 100.0, the wage-index in 2009 is roughly 80. In other words, between 2005 and 2009, wages/salaries were slashed by 20%. Ouch.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Sadly, in many industries it isn't even because that particular industry is suffering. Many companies are slashing salaries just to keep the wages at parity. Meaning companies are still making money, at the expense of its employees. But this is hardly anything unique to Japan, and in many cases you're worse off even in your own country.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Yepper, 400K plus is a rarity in this day and age in Japan.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Never said you didn't do it. I'm just pointing out that what you personally bring in (You, yourself bringing in 400,000 yen/month) is very rare.

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
I guess it also depends what industry you are in as all the white people I have met are normally English teachers, it always makes me smile when the first thing they ask is what school do I teach and what company do I work for lol

When I say "I build and repair computers and run a shop as well as some website developement" they always look shocked.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
It's a similar situation with Phillipino people back in Canada. The majority are either working in nursing homes or at convinient stores while a very few do something else.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
hahaha, now I lump you into the same group of people who's mommy and daddy paid for their college.

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
I paid for everything myself and still paying off my tuition fees now. I just had help from my father-in-law help me find a job as he is in the same field, everything else I did alone.

I hate those people who sponge off others. They never learn self sufficiency and the value of money. I always got taught to live within my means and had a rough time with finances, University, working part time and paying for my Mum's funeral but my wife and I did it without outside help.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Ok ok. I guess you ain't half bad then.

Since you are in Tokyo and apparently build PCs, what's the price like for something half decent that would play Left4Dead 1/2 and that modern warfare game? I have a mac but am severely unhappy with it and have been perusing PC Depot and looking at parts from time to time.