what are you watching? (tv shows)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Filmography

World Apartment Horror (1991) Script writer, based on Kon's own manga of the same name.
Roujin Z (1991) Background animator.
Hashire Melos! (1992) Layout
Patlabor 2 (1992) Layout
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1994) an animator on episode 2. Writer and director of episode 5.
Memories (Magnetic Rose) (1995) as a writer, background designer and layout.
Perfect Blue (1998) Director
Master Keaton (1998) as an animator on episode 15
Detatoko Princess (1998) as an animator
Millennium Actress (2001) Director, original story writer and character designer
Tokyo Godfathers (2003) Director and original story writer
Paranoia Agent (2004) Director and writer and storyboards for the opening and episodes 1, 9 and 13.
Paprika (2006) Director
Good Morning (part of Ani*Kuri15) (2008)
Dreaming Machine (TBA) Director and writer, to be released posthumously.

Manga

Toriko (虜) - 1984 manga debut, a doujinshi work, won the 2nd place Tetsuya Chiba Award for "Superior Newcomer".[12]:14 It is not related to the Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro manga Toriko.[38]
Kaikisen (1990)
World Apartment Horror (1991)
Tropic of the Sea (海帰線) Released in 1990, published in Young Magazine by Kodansha. Translated into English in 2013 by Vertical, Inc.
Akira. Assistant artist.
World Apartment Horror (ワールド・アパートメントホラー). Based on the original work of director Katsuhiro Otomo.
Seraphim (セラフィム 〜2億6661万3336の翼〜). An obscure collaboration with Oshii Mamoru that ran from May to November 1994 in Animage.
OPUS - An incomplete manga that was released bi-monthly in Comic Guys from 1995-1996.[39] It was collected and re-released in December 2010.

Literary works

"KON'S TONE – the Road to Millennium Actress" (「千年女優」への道〜)(2002, Shoubunsha)
source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satoshi_Kon

Personally I have no problem with the way he lived his life. Each must follow his or her own path. One thing is for sure about life, no one gets out of it alive.

I will put Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue, Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers on my top to do list for the anime torrent section. Should be up tomorrow or the day after at the latest. Paranoia agent was fucking great too, though a little off the wall like most of Satoshi Kons' anime. Reccomended viewing and I might post that as well.

Later

Ceewan

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
sorry, i meant as director...he has been involved in heaps of other stuff too. "Millenium Actress"!! so thats what its called (i should have just gone to his english wiki in the first place). that means i have seen it. and the other one was paranoia agent. thanks for the info.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
"Bosch" is a new detcective show. I haven't watched it yet but I downloaded, seeding it, and will watch it. You see "Bosch" is not just any detective show, it is based on the character from best-selling author Michael Connelly, (and I have read him often with relish). Bosch isn't superman, he isn't perfect, he isn't Sherlock effing Holmes and he isn't unrealistic. He is just a gritty guy trying to make do and dealing with situations the best he can. If they can capture that on film, they have an unusual hit. The pilot is streaming live on Amazon as well and I am interested in what Amazon Studios can bring to the table. It is starring underrated Titus Welliver from tv and film, a very good actor IMHO. The series will be centered in Los Angeles where Connelly spent three years covering the crime beat for the LA times.

http://www.michaelconnelly.com/bosch-tv/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3502248/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I have been watching "Helix" which is on the Scyfy channel and the verdict is still out on it. Seeing as I have watched the last six episodes though I guess it would be fair to say I find it interesting. The tv show also has one of the rare leads by a Japanese actor in American cinema and they picked a good one. Hiroyuki Sanada has been acting since the age of 5 and plays Dr. Hiroshi Hatake. I guess I have been hanging around here for too long because I knew he was Japanese right away and not another asian playing a Japanese like in Teen Wolf (why that would bother me I have no clue but it does). Anyway....it is hard to say what Helix is about; it concerns a secret biological research facility in the artic circle doing what a secret biological research facility outside international boundaries and laws is apt to be doing, and a team from the CDC sent in to help them with a biological outbreak. Sound complicated? It is.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
i have dld that too, but not gotten to it yet. sanada played the male lead role in the original "Ring" and i also like him a lot as an actor. will move it up my list...

I have been watching "Helix" which is on the Scyfy channel and the verdict is still out on it. Seeing as I have watched the last six episodes though I guess it would be fair to say I find it interesting. The tv show also has one of the rare leads by a Japanese actor in American cinema and they picked a good one. Hiroyuki Sanada has been acting since the age of 5 and plays Dr. Hiroshi Hatake. I guess I have been hanging around here for too long because I knew he was Japanese right away and not another asian playing a Japanese like in Teen Wolf (why that would bother me I have no clue but it does). Anyway....it is hard to say what Helix is about; it concerns a secret biological research facility in the artic circle doing what a secret biological research facility outside international boundaries and laws is apt to be doing, and a team from the CDC sent in to help them with a biological outbreak. Sound complicated? It is.

Suvlaco

Jun 9, 2009
So I've just started on Game of Thrones, watched the first season in a day (primarily because I'm on holiday, and my gaming computer died :( ) and while I'm really enjoying it, it's certainly not the HOLY MOTHER OF GOD that most people make it out to be... Sure, it's got superb production values and great acting, and it's quite entertaining and engrossing but I don't see the general appeal it has world wide... I'm quite in to fantasy (books, games etc) so that's what most entices me but it's surprised me how main stream it is. It's certainly got a lot of shock factor which I suppose is what's drawing people in though...

I've also been watching the newer G.T.O which is a lot better than I expected (still love Sorimachi though!) but unfortunately they didn't try anything new with the stories so having seen the original drama several times it makes that aspect less interesting :(

Reactions: 2 people

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Well, I finally found this thread...it was a trifle buried. We need a special section here just for Javees' posts mods (lol?).

The new fall season has been interupting my anime viewing....but not by much. I can't even get up the energy to try some of the new shows because they sound so lame (to me anyway). I might give Z-Nation a try...maybe. It is on the ScyFi network and it is a ripoff on the Walking Dead show trying to ride its' coat tails on the whole Zombie apocalypse thing. I don't really have a problem with that, personally, tv could do with another Zombie Apocalpse tv show, (beats the hell out of a new cop drama). My problem is it is produced by the same idiots who do all those loser movies for the ScyFi Channel. Nothing ruins a show like low production values.

Shows I won't miss that have returned:

The Good Wife:
Actually, she isn't that great of a wife but the writing and acting are superb. It amazes me I can enjoy a show that has so many themes I actually hate, (this show almost seems written for democrats), yet it is too well done to miss. They even tackled the NSA spying last season....as a subplot.

Saving Hope
NBC cancelled this last season but what I didn't realize is they had picked it up from CTV ( hurray for Canada!) and I can still watch it because CTV picked them up for a third season. Critics panned this as being unoriginal but it is the only Supernatural Medical Drama I have seen.

South Park
I luv a show that tries its' damnest to offend everyone equally. They are really good at it too and they are in good form this season (so far anyway)

Nashville
A little more story and less music this season. Still, I wouldn't miss an episode if I could help it. I have no love for ABC, they ruin more shows than Christian Slater. If you are going to do a show about country music stars though then you are going to deal with more of real America than most shows because country music just relates to the people (kind of a loose definition but very applicable). Besides, I got a crush on Hayden Panettiere, ( Connie Britton ain't bad for her age either).

Person of Interest
One of the few original shows on tv and the writing is actually staying interesting. The good guys don't always win and I appreciate not knowing for sure how the show is going to turn out after watching five minutes (you know what I mean).

Boardwalk Empire
Just a great show and I don't mind that they are taking a little literary license with 1930s' American history. Good writing and great acting are what make or break a show, this shows got them both.

Survivor:
just about the only reality show I can still stand. Edited, not scripted and practically a sport (those immunity challenges are no joke).

Once Upon a Time:
I don't know why I watch this show, habit I guess. The writing isn't all that great and with so many actors the bad ones kind of counter the good ones. It keeps me interested though, they may not be the greatest writers but they are good at plot twists.

Vampire Diaries:
I am not really into vampire shows, this is the only one I watch and it is the most watched show on The CW for the last six years straight for a reason. It has been a pleasure watching both the show and its' actors grow. The writing isn't flawless but the actors put their heart into it and it shows. And yes....Nina Dobrev is still hot.

Haven:
I didn't really want to admit to watching this, the show has really declined and I wouldn't suggest it. The only reason I still watch it is out of respect for Adam Copeland, who wrestled under the name of "Edge" in the WWE before he was forced to retire because of a life threatening neck injury. The acting isn't abysmal but the writing is. John Dusworth also has a small part in the show, you might know him from Trailer Park Boys which is one of thee must see shows to ever come out of Canada (eight seasons and counting of fun.... watch it!).

Last edited:
Reactions: isityours

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Flash (The CW on tuesday nights)
This is the new DC comic based series, a spinoff of the popular Arrow series (which is pretty good itself). I was never a big fan of The Flash, DC comics had such trouble with the character they created at least three versions of him trying to get it right. However this series is using the same production company as Arrow is so you can expect a decent effort in making this entertaining and interesting. The first episode wasn't awful and this will be the first new series I give a try. Although not original in its' own right ( an effort to turn this concept into a succesful series failed in 1990) I believe CW is timing this series very well, the competition just isn't very deep.

Reactions: EzikialRage

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
the good wife is back and has not lost its edge. one of the few shows that deals with issues almost as they unfolded last season (nsa, bitcoin etc)

z-nation: obviously sucks.

sons of anarchy: is back which is also cool.

scorpion: havent really watched it yet but nothing has pulled me in so far

stalker: nuff said. there isnt enough misogyny and sexual and/or assault on women already? why not just make it a reality series? it could star robin thicke and adam levine!

How to get away with murder: episode one left me kind of ambivalent. need to see some more i think

gotham: have only flipped through ep 1 and although it seems to be getting good reviews...

intruders: episode 1 looks promising but is still in the queue

homeland: so glad its back. still just as good.

Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Yeah, glad to see Homeland back. You are the one that sold me on that. I still think anybody in the media using terrorism issues to make a profit to be in exhorbantly bad taste but Homeland is just really well done acting wise with decent plotlines and not so horrible writing (actually pretty good in areas). So I am glad it is back too.

I just can't get my head around the concept for Gotham, a cop show based in Batmans' Gotham City before Batman and ignoring the obvious timeline discrepencies (let alone orgins) of Batmans villians before they were supervillians. I don't care how you spin it, sounds like just another attempt to sneak the same old cop show themes onto an already flooded market.

If you really fall in love with any of the new shows let me know though, I usually find a couple worth taking a look at but so far they just sounded......uninteresting.

Stalker: Cop show. The show follows the members of the TAU, Threat Assessment Unit, a division of the LAPD. They specialize in stalking cases, including voyeurism, cyber harassment and romantic fixation.

Scorpion: Cop show. As eccentric as they are intelligent, a group of geniuses with varying specialties are recruited to help Homeland Security defend against high-tech threats.

Intruders: is about a secret society devoted to chasing immortality by seeking refuge in the bodies of others.....Jack Whelan (John Simm), a former LAPD cop with a troubled and violent history, finds the quiet idyllic life he has crafted with his wife, Amy (Mira Sorvino), shattered when she vanishes. Jack is drawn deeper into the mystery when his high school friend, Gary Fischer (Tory Kittles), shows up on his doorstep asking for help with a murder case. Paranormal cop show. Actually, I won't say I find this uninteresting but I have seen it done before. Fallen (1998) starring Denziel Washington (great movie) and Vampire Diaries did something similar (not so great subplot). Still it is only an 8 episode series so let us know if it is any good.

Legends Spy show. centers on a deep-cover operative named Martin Odum, who has an uncanny ability to transform himself into a different person for each job. But his own identity comes into question when a mysterious stranger suggests that Martin isn't who he thinks he is. From the exuctive producer of "Homeland" and "24". So you might like it, not sure if I want to watch it or not.

Arrow returns, I hear they are going to do a four-hour crossover with the Flash this season. Crossovers usually suck but I like this show so I will put up with it. One of the reasons Arrow is popular I think, is that like Batman he has no superpowers and people can relate to him better. Of course Smallville was a big hit for a few years (well written at first too) so I could be wrong about that. I hope they bring Caity Lotz (the Black Canary) back as a regular, she is hot.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
American Horror Story returns in what is lamentably Jessica Langes final season. I personally saw this young ladies film debut in the theatres where she co-starred with Jeff Bridges in King Kong back in 1976. She was just another film hotty back then, who knew she would become such a star but she earned every bit of it. Speaking of hotties Emma Roberts will be returning (although no Taissa Farmiga). This season is bound to be full of scares, plot twists and great acting. Don't miss it!

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
So one of my favorite shows, Longmire, got cancelled, no surprise. The reason why pisses me off. From the great site eztv:

Fans of Western drama Longmire were shocked on August 28th when A&E announced that they had decided to cancel the series, despite the show’s phenomenal ratings and huge audience. At first the network claimed they were cancelling Longmire because they were scaling back on their drama line-up, and then a press statement revealed that the cancellation occurred because the network didn’t own the series and moving towards all in-house productions. But, the truth has finally come out and it looks like Longmire was axed simply because it’s 5.6 million viewers were “too old.” Ouch! An older viewer demographic doesn’t get the top dollar advertising reserved for the 18-45 slice of supposedly bigger, or at least discriminating spenders. Nice, so no matter that Longmire was A&E’s # 2 show in terms of viewers and # 1 ever scripted drama but because the audience was a bit older on average the greedy shortsighted network cancelled it!

The October 6th edition of GLOBE Magazine reveals, “The cast of A&E crime drama Longmire are crying foul over the show being axed – because it’s viewers were too old! Despite high ratings the TV hit was suddenly cancelled after three seasons – and now outraged fans are trying to save it!” According to the magazine’s inside source, “the cast [of Longmire] was told that the network is trying to reach a younger audience.” Longmire executive producer Greer Shepard is reportedly devastated by A&E’s cancellation, and angrily told GLOBE, “You don’t just flush 5.6 million people!”

We know from experience how devastating it can be to have one of your favorite series cancelled, but at the end of the day money, talks. Networks are paid by sponsors for commercial spots during television shows, and the sponsors won’t pay the big bucks for commercial time unless the shows are scoring in the key demos, 18-34, and 18-45 year-olds. Longmire may have 5.6 million viewers, but they apparently were not falling in to the key demos that top-dollar advertisers were looking for.

Regardless, there is still hope for Longmire fans. The studio that owns the crime drama, Warner Horizon, is currently shopping around for another network to air Longmire. And, rumor has it USA is close to inking a deal.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The Walking Dead is back and badder than ever. I won't give away any spoilers but as you can tell from seasons past, for cast members this show has to be considered a part-time gig. I don't think any show has ever come as close to representing hell on earth as this one does. Great fucking show, maybe the best show on tv.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
TV has been such a dissappointment to me lately but if there was ever a reason to get Cinemax on Demand or just pirate it, January 9th is it. One of my top 5 favorite shows returns for 10 epsiodes; Banshee is nothing but good and grity hardcore action and softcore sex and nudity. It is just the type of show that men are supposed to enjoy. As a teaser they have released 8 webisodes they call Banshee Orgins for season 3. It just so happens they all appear on youtube (I got mine from ettv).

for more (and no....I don't get kickbacks):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_1_vgzQdhad1U_xPwlHVS5sg_sIiaH9C

(rant)
One of the reasons I love this show is the violence. I get so sick of Hollywood trying to emasculate men. There is nothing shameful about primordial man, it is who we were for thousands of years. Men like to fuck and fight, it is a part of who we are at our core being. Sure, we are more than that but we can't deny who and what man once was and what that meant, nor should we. We fought fierce beasts with our bare hands and mere sticks and stones. We discovered fire and ruled the world. Man is the top of the food chain. Now we are reduced to FPS games and porn........progress I guess.

One of my favorite quotes from the game Far Cry 3 is from the character Citra when she tells Jason Brody: "You are a warrior. You live for battle. Every man you fight dies and deserves to have his life taken from him." I don't think that there is a man or child that doesn't hear his own inner beast nodding in agreement. That is why those types of games are so popular and that is why TV shows like Banshee are so great.
(end rant....thank you)

Last edited:

Little Chucky

Hi, I'm Chucky, Wanna Play?
Aug 28, 2013
great series i like to watch

Peaky blinders
Hell on wheels
Banshee (Thanks for the tip Ceewan didn't know a new season was about to start)
Justified
Ripper street
Game of thrones

I know these aren't on television right now but i wanted to give you guys some viewing suggestions
Just look them up at your favorite torrent site

Noid936

Dec 7, 2014
I am watching:
2 broke girls (love the sexual pund they make bit it's more a turn your brain of moment for me and just enjoy)
Two and a half men (it was a shame that they didn't have charlie sheen anymore but ashton kutcher fills the role pretty good)
Naruto
One piece
Cross ange ( nice plottwist early on!)
Parasyte
Tokyo ghoul season 2
Nanatsu no taizai (hoping for a bit more action)
Big bang theory

Will watch when new episodes air:
Walking dead
South park (sometimes they still make a decent episode)
Death parade (expecting more from this one than what i saw in the first two episodes)
And many more ;)

Will add these to my viewing list:
Banshee (thanks ceewan)
Pretty little liars (watched the first episodes when it just aired and for some strange reason did not continue to watch it probably lack of time)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Vikings is back, probably one of the top ten if not the top 5 (my top five anyway) shows on television right now. Who knew something so good could possibly come from the History Channel? (still can't get over that)

Also worth watching:
Better Call Saul:
made from the same people that bought you Breaking Bad and yes, riding those same coat-tails shamlessly. Still worth watching though.

Helix
a bit strange, especially if you missed the first season, but it is fairly original, well acted and written.

Bosch
I am a bit iffy on my personal feelings about the show, which made its' way onto Amazon of all places. It is produced by Michael Connely, the writer of the original novels that featured the character and the first season is derived from two of his books. I found it a little too politically correct for my tastes and have more problems with the script than the acting, (which was far from stellar in itself). Nonetheless I watched every episode, it had a great villian and some pretty good moments so some might find it interesting.

Suits is also back and while it is far from the best show on tv, given the norm it is above average. One of the best performances on the show is from Rick Hoffman, who plays Louis Litt, and he is probably the main reason I keep watching it. One of the stars of the show is Pretty Little Liars Troian Bellisario real life boyfriend: Patrick J Adams (which would explain her rare guest appearances on the show).

Saving Hope from CTV, just ended its' fourth season with a bang. So if you missed it, find it. The writing is often hit or miss on that show, to be perfectly honest. I watch because the good episodes are worth it. The first two seasons were very well done and since then the writers seem to be searching for their way, which might just explain why NBC pulled it from their schedule in 2012 (not like they had anything better to replace it with though...and still don't).

Last edited:

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
fresh off the boat - obvious jokes aside, its a good laugh
broad city - season 2 finished maybe? as good as season 1
the americans - as good as ever
the good wife - ditto

transparent - season 1 finished (one amazon production that has really stood out)

marvels agent carter - saw first episode but am not sure yet
izombie - ditto. premise is interesting and isnt a 100% walking dead rip-off like that other one
bosch - saw episode 1 but havent decided yet

suits - has lost a lot of its appeal but i still watch it

game of thrones - not back yet but that "episode 00" got my juices flowing

walking fuckin dead (of course)

Novablaze23

Feb 27, 2009
Well here is what i am watching week by week.

Attack on titan SE1........ A must watch if you like anime:cool:
Helix SE2
The Flash SE1....... Good series so far.
NCIS SE12 E18 Good series all round
Fortitude SE1
Forver SE1
.... Great series
CSI Cyber SE1

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I gave up on Helix, I don't know why, just got tired of it. Same for Arrow and Flash. All three are "good" but I found myself in no hurry to watch them so I stopped wasting my time on them. I would rather look for an interesting anime I haven't seen, lol. Attack on Titan was excellent too, especially the first few episodes. If only American TV could write as good as some of the Japanese animes. When I was younger mini-series went through a phase in american tv, some of them were epic (Rich Man, Poor Man). They should try that again but instead we are stuck with cheap reality shows and a greedy actors guild that forbids making affordable quality tv. I mean I just adored Breaking Bad but it cost around 3 million dollars per episode to make.....an unbelievable fact but true nonetheless.