Video with no audio

bigshow80

Jun 18, 2010
Hi all, currently facing a problem with a new video i obtained. The video works whilst there is no audio. The original format i got was in flv format.

Details of the video i get while using vlc's codec information:
Codec: MPEG Audio Layer
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 44100Hz
Bitrate: 320kb/s

Here are my questions:
1. Is there a way to 'repair' the audio?
2. Is there a way to check if audio existed in the first place?

Thank you

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
1. Have you tried another player? It could simply be VLC having a problem with that file, I'd try MPCHC.
FLV isn't a great container for handling problems so transferring the video inside an mkv container might help if it's not too broken(assuming it's not simply a VLC problem which it very well might be). You can do that with mkvtoolnix.
This won't actually repair the audio(which isn't possible assuming it's really broken), but it might help get around the problem and have most of it play.

2. It tells you the codec and specific info about the audio so there is audio. It's there even though it's not playing(or it's recorded silence which would be unlikely).

bigshow80

Jun 18, 2010
Hi Samkook, thanks for the quick reply. I followed your advice and used mkvtoolnix to convert the file, however still no audio. Next i used MPCHC to play the before and after converted versions and still nothing. Up to this point i assume that the video came with no audio?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It has audio or VLC wouldn't have told you all of those infos.

Do you have a link to the file or can you upload it somewhere? I'll have a look and let you know.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I can't be sure of the original problem if you re-encode it so cutting it is not helpful.

But since you said the code and the preview was watermarked, it was pretty easy to find the original file.

I extracted the mp3 from the flv and loaded it in audacity to see the graph and it turns out that it's 274MB of silence so the guy who encoded it screwed up and there is no way to fix that.

There is audio, but it's completely silent which is a rare occurrence, but sometime it happens.

bigshow80

Jun 18, 2010
Wow thanks so much for going through the trouble to get the original file. Looks like it can't be helped then... Thank you again for the quick response.

Reactions: Casshern2