Upgrading Your LIbrary of Titles: Do You?

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I'm pretty sure I remember this conversation somewhere on Akiba, but, I can't find it for the life of me, so, please forgive me if this new thread isn't necessary, I can sure ask that it be moved (or outright taken down!).

While working on my archive solution I've come across titles that for one reason or another I chose not to, back in the day, acquire an FHD version of. Now that I view them again I ask myself What were you thinking?! So, for a good number I've identified so far I've made a listing of the ones I'd like to now get the FHD versions of (if available).

Because I store my files on dual later blu-ray discs I can't rightly just delete and replace or overwrite files, so, I'll have to have them listed twice in my archive, which is fine, I suppose. I actually did, back a while, remove the lower resolution record from the my database but I've since regretted that and I wish I could remember which one so I could restore it. But, oh well.

Does anyone else re-acquire titles in higher resolution/quality from time to time? Always? For any reasons other than having a FHD version?

For example, click the thumbnail below to see some documented upgrades of MEAT-001, MEAT-008, and MEAT-012 that I've tackled so far. And look at that! It was MEAT-002 that I had removed before leaving only the FHD left! Haha! Time to restore that record!

upgrades.jpg

Last edited:

cookiemon

Oct 31, 2018
I'm a weirdo. I purge my collection every so often, but do make an effort to re-acquire FHD versions of those i want to keep. If it's not available, 720p is good enough. Rarely i'm able to "upgrade" from 480p to 1080p, it's either 480p > 720p or 720p > 1080p.

It then reached a point where i ran out of disk space, so for those retail titles (S1, Ideapocket types) i actually cut out only the scenes i like (compilations have actresses i have no interest in) but shrank down to 720p from 1080p. I find that i'm usually multi-tasking when i'm watching JAV; i can be surfing the net or editing some other videos/music while the video plays in the background so the player window is half-sized anyway. 720p is good enough in most cases.

Only web-releases (Caribbeancom, FC2, 200GANA, SIRO types) i keep at 1080p because most of them are usually feature-length by themselves so there is nothing to cut. Also, i like Jap uncensored stuff, so i'm less picky with them. I find mosaic in studio titles to be "boring", i don't derive much pleasure from those compared to uncensored ones. Although 200GANA and SIRO series have mosaic, some of the amateurs are quite hot so i keep them. I have weird standards...