Study Abroad Japan... Help!

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

heartles2

May 25, 2009
Where do I begin.

Born a U.S. Citizen with no Japanese Language training and have came across an opportunity to study in Japan at an accredited University. I have always dreamed of going to Japan ever since I was little.

I have a burning passion that cannot be explained by words to absorb their culture eat their food, and learn their customs. Although I have never traveled outside the United States, I yearn for an experience abroad and I wanted to live my dreams by going to Japan.

Although my only experience with Japan is through a third-person perspective (I.E. Media (Not fast and the furious Tokyo Drift), Japanese Animation, Manga, Documentaries, Blogs, and Vloggers) I have over time felt a connection with this country. This attraction varies from the cities, lights, streets, signs and buildings to me is intoxicating.

With this said, this opportunity would let me be apart of something I believe I have wanted to become apart of for sometime. Yet I am at a cross road, I begin thinking deeply about studying abroad, and ask myself questions like "Who would help me if I am lost? How do I get around? How can I communicate? What if I am an outcast to other Japanese students? Where do I go if i'm hurt? What if I am discriminated?"(I'm Asian-American but not Japanese).

The answer was simple, I know nothing about Japan, I know no one in Japan, I don't even know how approaching someone In Japan is like. Its like jumping into a pool head first without first learning how to swim. Trying something so different and something completely out of my "safe zone" that I cannot imagine what difficulties I would face.

I don't know what to do. I would love to say that I would enjoy studying abroad in Japan, yet its easy enough for me to say that the problems I might face could define me as a person and what I really want in life.

If you loved something so much, that you were over come with so much determination to do it, but you knew what problems lied ahead, would you risk it all to experience it? To live your dreams?

I've talked to the study abroad people, already talked to advisers, parents and family. I have no one telling me, "Go, follow your dreams and no matter what don't quit." but I hear "Its too expensive. Your going to get frustrated and homesick. Japan isn't what its like on T.V."

I honestly don't know where to look for answers. So this may not be the place to talk about this, but I had to, no I Needed to reach out to someone even if its here on Akiba-online. :exhausted:

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Don't think too deeply about it. The Japanese are just as human as any other, and humans generally genuinely are helpful. Language is but a part, not the whole of communication. There are other ways to communicate that easily get the point across. It's not easy but it's really not that hard. There will be the occasional incident but it should be easy for you to handle. I've been here for 8 years and don't regret coming here a single day. If you're as interested as you said you were you'll be missing an enjoyable life changing experience. It's true but unfortunate that so many Americans haven't left it's shores. Doing so is a breath of fresh air. I encourage to do what you can to make it here. Heck if you even make it up my way we can even go out and chat about stuff.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Come or don't. It's your choice.

You're studying abroad... so do you honestly think you're not going to pick up some of the local language while here? Seriously kid, take your head out of your ass. If you honestly love Japan that much, I find it hard to believe that you're so naive to what goes on here.

For the record though, no, Japan is NOT like what you see in your little cartoons.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I find it strange that you have doubts, if I was you, I would go for it, if you decide against it, you will always look back on the day and wonder what it would have been like, and your refusal, you will always regret it, if by some chance, it does go bad for you, home is only 1 flight away, but at least you have the experience of knowing you gave it your best shot, and you will not be the only one there from the US, but if I was you, I would seek out Japanese lessons, and learn as much as possible, I will take the assumption you are studying at the moment , finish your studies, and pass the exams, and then learn as much Japanese as possible before you go, and if you are not studying, start learning, and go for it

and one last point look at desioner's signature "It's better to regret things that you have done than to regret things that you haven't."

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Just go. Seriously.

Desioner is right, you're over thinking this. You shouldn't be at all concerned with questions like "what if I get lost": you'd be in Japan, not Madagascar.

Check the statistics on crime in Japan, it's one of the safest places in the world. Getting lost would probably be interesting and you might meet some cool people while finding your way back.

Suvlaco

Jun 9, 2009
When I finished High School I basically upped and moved to China without knowing anything about it, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Not all of it was good (though most of it was), but I'm glad I did it so if you've got this opportunity and want to go, then go.

wwpants1

Apr 2, 2007
Go for it!

I had a chance to live in Japan for 12 months several years back and after much thought, decided to take the chance.
I took a wife & our young child and we loved it so much, that 12 months turned into 3.5 years.
We found most everyone willing to help us with things we had no idea about, such as banking, post office, hospitals, dentists etc. etc. Even though you are obviously younger and flying solo, I am sure you will be fine.
Living in another country is one of best things you can do.
It will broaden your outlook on pretty much every aspect of your life!
Do it:)

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
@wwpants1: How about your Japanese skills when you moved there?

I once saw a clip on YouTube about a pupil that went to Japan for a year. That guy didn't prepare himself in anyway - especially he didn't learn the language. And when he was in Japan he was very disappointed. Of course - as he didn't understand the people - he couldn't talk with anyone. After a while he learned it and starting from then he made some progress - and even a girlfriend.

I guess the language is the key to the people of a country. :tea:

heartles2

May 25, 2009
Come or don't. It's your choice.

You're studying abroad... so do you honestly think you're not going to pick up some of the local language while here? Seriously kid, take your head out of your ass. If you honestly love Japan that much, I find it hard to believe that you're so naive to what goes on here.

For the record though, no, Japan is NOT like what you see in your little cartoons.

Agreed.

The only reason I have these doubts are because I honestly dont know a lot about the real Japan. Thats what I think drives me to go because I want to see the real thing not because I watch anime or read manga, but because I believe I want to see different perspectives, totally different customs and gaining an education in a whole different country.

But its important to me to figure out all the pluses and minuses.

Believe me, I dont talk all this motivation crap without understanding what could happen and to go for the right reasons.

wwpants1

Apr 2, 2007

@wwpants1: How about your Japanese skills when you moved there?

I once saw a clip on YouTube about a pupil that went to Japan for a year. That guy didn't prepare himself in anyway - especially he didn't learn the language. And when he was in Japan he was very disappointed. Of course - as he didn't understand the people - he couldn't talk with anyone. After a while he learned it and starting from then he made some progress - and even a girlfriend.

I guess the language is the key to the people of a country. :tea:

When I knew I was going to live there I enrolled in a course that included;
2 full weeks-2 hours/day learning Hiragana/Katakana. By sight recognition and also writing.

After that 2, weekly lessons studying basic conversation & Kanji.

I did that for six months before we went to Japan and I found it SO helpful. I could at least read some things and get an idea of what simple conversations were about.

As time went by, living there and 100% immersed in the culture (outside my own English speaking home of course), I found it became easier to get by. It also helped that I continued to study on a daily basis:)

Short story:
I once took a Taxi from our place and had forgotten my wallet:(
I told the taxi driver I had forgotten it and we needed to turn around and go back to get it. He said the meter could not be stopped and I told him that was fine. I then appologised for my 'bad Japanese', and he said he understood me just fine!

I was shocked that I could manage that just a month or two after getting there. Of course, my 'non-verbal- cues of searching for my wallet would have tipped him off, but still, we did communicate just fine, in his language:)

Hope that gives our original poster some confidence!

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
Good luck in japan.
But even there it's not only sunshine and paradise~

Every coin got two sides.. and some stick so much to the ground that you can first see the other side when you'r deep in it already..