Streaming from Flash media servers using the RTMP protocol

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
So there is soooo much I don't know about the internet. I finally have a new and more powerful system up and running and want to watch some streeming videos from a particular site.

But I know nothing about streaming videos and cannot afford a dime for any new software....not that I am sure what software I would need. ( My dimes go for the white rice and noodles which makes up the majority of my poor-mans diet....seriously. It took forever to get a new computer.)

So I am not understanding the sites google has sent me to. They are all talking gibberish to my uneducated ears. I have no idea what software I need. I came across this but I am unsure if it is what I want:

http://www.wowzamedia.com/

In order to decrease my ignorance I could use some friendly input.
What freeware is available to get me going here?
What should I not use?
What should I beware of?
Any tips, tricks or cheats are also welcome.

I would be most grateful for any useful suggestions and/or comments.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Huh? Wowza Media Server is for serving content.

If you want to consume content, all you need is a browser and the Adobe Flash plugin, most likely.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Huh? Wowza Media Server is for serving content.

If you want to consume content, all you need is a browser and the Adobe Flash plugin, most likely.

That what I thought, ( I finally am doing the youtube thing now), but I get a server not found error when I click the play button. I know this site streams live as well and I have allowed all the script but I am getting nowhere. I figured the problem was on my end somewhere.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
well this was a waste of a good thread. After some further and a more thorough investigation it turns out I was blocking the connection on my end without meaning to. Old habits die hard. So, I am all set.