something wrong with search function?

laser168

Jun 10, 2013
normally I just key in the movie code and the thread come out but now it say Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Maybe there is really no thread with that movie code. Did you verify if an existing thread wasn't found by the search function? Maybe you can give an example.

feverish8

feverish
Sep 11, 2007
I can actually copy the exact code from an existing post right here on Akiba and run a search for it .....NO MATCHES
WTF????
How is this not working At All lately??

Was not like this before.

Reactions: 1 person

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
we will be looking into this, and many other things, it looks like a vb fix screwed up big time

Reactions: 3 people

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
Thank you, Coolkevin, for responding to a search problem thread.

I remember after the previous
Akiba-Online changeover, I could not figure out how to search for individual posts. Took some doing, but after visiting this here "Site Support & Bugs" section, I was shown the light.

After the last changeover, I have noticed bugs with the searching, I decided to pay a visit to
"Site Support & Bugs" now to see if there may be answers for me.

Looking at the first two pages of
"Site Support & Bugs," I see there has been a number of threads (besides this one) devoted to the subject, such as:

Search function not working like before
Search function is a little bit weird
How am i supposed to search?

Plenty of questions, but no get-them-straightened-out answers. I guess the moderators are exasperated.

The last posts on these threads all date back by a few months. I guess the users/members have given up.

That pretty much describes my situation. I'm just living with the imperfect search results.

Folks have been reporting all kinds of problems, not all of which jibe with my situation. I basically search for movie codes.

Escondida explained very well (in the second post of this thread) one of my experiences. Previously, I would search for, say, "MDYD-306 MDYD306," with and without the hyphen... for the MDYD-306 OR MDYD306 effect. That no longer works; now you must search for one code at a time..

The most frustrating experience, though, is that when a movie code is searched for, and you open up a page from the results, that movie code is nowhere in sight on that page. This is a serious problem.

But I suppose it is a problem we have no choice but to live with, since - judging by how cobwebs have been forming on these "search problem" threads - the problems are beyond any solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolKevin

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
[...]
The most frustrating experience, though, is that when a movie code is searched for, and you open up a page from the results, that movie code is nowhere in sight on that page. This is a serious problem.[...]
Any example for that?

Same goes for the other posts. Some examples would be nice for testing purposes.

Reactions: CoolKevin

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Jugulear

I done a quick look at MDYD-306 using copy and paste, I got 10 results, 5 you will not see, removed from main board or came up in reports for various reason, out of the 5 you can see is your post (6 including this post) and
http://www.akiba-online.com/threads...ection-memories-with-beautiful-women.1027037/
I did untick the only "search this forum" though, if that does not help we will have to look into it further

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
What a pleasure to hear from you, Coolkevin, thank you for responding.

I am aware of the search only this forum or thread options; I usually untick them.

Hi,
Codegeek; I didn't think an example wouild be necessary, because one gets irrelevant results with movie code searches a lot of the time. (Although, of course, not all of the time.) Besides, I was too lazy to dig up an example, because when I came by here, it was not in response to a specific frustarting search. In fact, I used "MDYD-306" arbitrarily, just to give a visual example of hyphenated and non-hyphenated DVD codes.

But you're right, an example would be useful. Let's search for NHDT-129 .

I don't know if this search result link will work - before the last Akiba-Online change-over, I discovered search result links did not work. (In fact, Codegeek, I believe it was you who brought that to my attention, when I once posted a search result link. Good old Codegeek.) But here it is:

http://www.akiba-online.com/search/3146473/?q=NHDT-129&o=date

(And if it does not work, all one needs to do is type NHDT-129 in the search box.)

I got twelve results. I did not check every single one, but many turned out to be legitimate. If we search for NHDT-129 on the pages (via Ctrl+F), a reference to NHDT-129 comes up.

Listing Number Three failed, however. (For Naturalhigh Mega Thread Collection [NDHT-xxx].)

So did
Listing Number Eight, for Slimedog's Lesbian JAV.

Upon further investigation, the reason for these irrelevant results probably was because the number "129" turned up on the page. Strong odds that "NHDT" also appeared elsewhere, so a search for NHDT-129 also includes results for "NHDT AND 129." (This is only my hypothesis.)

Then I got the idea to search for NHDT-129 with quotation marks. Maybe the search engine requires that extra incentive to search for NHDT-129 written exactly in the form of "NHDT-129."

When I did so, I got the following search results page. (If the link does not work, please search for NHDT-129 with quotation marks, with all search criteria boxes unchecked.)

http://www.akiba-online.com/search/3146920/?q="nhdt-129"&o=date

Only four listings resulted. That means a search for a movie code with quotation marks fails to pick up all of the references, because we know from the previous search (with twelve results) that there were more than four relevant results.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks, jugulear, for the detailed description. Why I asked for it: I'm getting description of bugs everyday from colleagues and customers. And I know how hard it is to find potential bugs. Not seldom its not a bug, but the user who didn't understand something or simply expected something different.

So it means the search works like this at the moment:
  • If you enter 'NHDT129' (without the single quote, of course) it really searches for this token. Only 'NHDT129' will be found. Combinations like 'NHDT 129', '129 NHDT' or 'NHDT-129' in the title or post won't be found.
  • If you enter 'NHDT-129' it will search for 'NHDT' AND '129'. All the combinations - 'NHDT129', 'NHDT 129', '129 NHDT', 'NHDT-129' will be found.
  • If you enter 'NHDT 129' or '129 NHDT' it also means 'NHDT' AND '129'. In this case also all combinations will be found.
  • If you enter the term in double quotes exactly this token will be found.
    • '"NHDT129"' will only find 'NHDT129', but none of the other combinations.
    • '"NHDT-129"' will only find 'NHDT-129', but none of the other combinations.
    • '"NHDT 129"' will only find 'NHDT 129', but none of the other combinations.
    • '"129 NHDT"' will only find '129 NHDT', but none of the other combinations.
I have to say that this is what I would have expected. But maybe it's from a developer's point of view. As we use some normal forum software the search isn't aware of the meaning of movie codes and how they work. So it wouldn't understand that 'NHDT129' could also means 'NHDT-129' or 'NHDT 129'. It's just a dump normal full-text search. ;)

By the way: Of course the search may also search in the tags of the threads.

Reactions: jugulear

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
Thank you so much, Codegeek; that was a lovely explanation...

(For the days of the previous two Akiba-Online incarnations, when searches were not as complicated; you searched for NHDT-129, you'd get pure-and-simple NHDT-129.)

But remember, I also wrote:
"...A search for a movie code with quotation marks fails to pick up all of the references, because we know from the previous search (with twelve results) that there were more than four relevant results."

As a counter to your finding, '
"NHDT-129"' will only find 'NHDT-129', but none of the other combinations, it's not always so. For example (and this is only one example, as there may be others), on the search results with twelve listings (reflecting a search for the code without the quotation marks), one result was this page, from the "Amateur, Peeing, Massage, Hidden Cam & Other Fetishes Thread."

On the search results with
four listings (reflecting a search for the code with the quotation marks), it's missing - even though there is a reference for NHDT-129 on that page.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Okay, I checked it. And ended in a thread about new half JAV. Thanks, jugulear. :p ;)

Seems I have to correct myself: The search seems to ignore - (hyphen) (means it is replaced by a whitespace) when you enter it without double quotes. So if you enter 'NHDT-129' you really search for 'NHDT 129'. That explain why we got hits like this post:
Hello, nice collection. But i wanna request NHDT-174 re upload. http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1934108&postcount=129 links are dead. Thank's for your attention.
Or this one (I removed the picture links):
Same applies for a few hits more.

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
You need to go back to the homepage before searching, don't know why though....
if you don't want to search in Posts, but only in Threads, Tick the "search title only"
if you start the searth within a forum (e.g. this one) you will only find Posts (and Threads) placed in this forum.
If you want to search the whole forum from a subforum, you have to uncheck "search this forum only"