Some bittorrent help would be much appreciated!

monkeypoops

Jan 30, 2008
Hello.
If anyone can give me some help, I'd appreciate it.
Until now I haven't had any problems downloading torrents. Lately though stuff I try to get from Akiba has been going very slow. I'm fairly sure my ISP is not throttling my traffic, as stuff I get from other private trackers zooms along at a couple of megabytes per second.

I get an error in uTorrent in the tracker status part. Unfortunately, I can't copy paste it, and it's all in Japanese. It says something along the lines of "hokka no computer ni yotte something or other dekimasendeshita".

Can anyone shed some light on this? Like I said, when I get a well-seeded torrent from a private tracker the speed is usually pretty high, and up till now, akiba's stuff has been going fast for me, too.

Having said that, even the fast stuff occasionally slows down inexplicably... could this be selective throttling from my ISP? (NTT FLETS hikari...)

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I'm also on Hikari and NTT does not throttle but will disconnect connections sometimes. I had never experienced it before I moved but now I need to cap myself to keep the connection stable.
As for individual torrents it all depends on the number of seeds and peers. These you usually connect to via the tracker and if a tracker is down then your loosing peers & seeds that would be connect to that tracker. If your getting a message like …できませんでした。 Then there is a problem with that tracker. It's possible, with some clients that you can manually enter trackers but it's like shooting in the dark because there is a good chance the torrent is not registered to other trackers.
The last factor is that there is a good number of peers & seeds and the trackers are OK, but you still get slow speeds. This is due to the peers & seeds choking and their number of connections.
Choking is a limit they set to upload. i.e. I'm choking my uploads to 20k per torrent.
Number of connection is just that. Each torrent I upload only connects to 10 peers. There are 100 in the swarm but I only upload to 10.
These are not under your control when downloading, but as a rule of thumb if your uploading more than downloading you'll get better download speeds.
Hope that helps you out.
desioner

monkeypoops

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks a lot for the help. Good to hear that NTT isn't throttling... yet!
Torrents still acting weird though... Yamanaka Mayumi's well-seeded latest is coming down at 3 kb/s...
I'll just be patient!