Regarding some of my reseeds

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016
It has come to my attention that people are getting stuck at 99.9% on some of my reseeds. It bothered me a lot that this has happened and I spent most of my time at work researching about it. Of course I don't want people to feel they've been duped and I'm trying to fix the problem. So here's what happened.....

I downloaded these torrents ages ago and they were 100% completed before I stopped the torrents. They play fine, I've watched them numerous times with no stuttering or sound problems. When I go to reseed them, my utorrent automatically starts reseeding the file, so I thought everything was fine and dandy. But since so many people have said that they are stuck at 99.9%. I went back to those torrents and took a closer look and to my surprise it said 99.9%.

Probable cause (IMO)
a) my collection has moved around....HDD failures.....copy files to new HDD.......renamed drive letters or what not...so something must have gotten lost??

b) I downloaded lots of these torrents using an older version of utorrent and bitcomet...now I've been re-uploading/reseeding in a newer version of utorrent

c) I downloaded them on windows XP, but now I'm on windows 7

Solutions:
a) it says 99.9%...but the video plays fine........
b) redownloading them in my current utorrent fixes some of them
c) finding another torrent with the same exact size and name and using that to get to 100% ...fixes some of them
d) if I can't find the same torrent..I get a torrent with the same file size and rename my video file to match the one in the new torrent and it gets to 100% (it works)

So I'm slowly going thru old reseeds and checking, anyone have any other suggestions, please tell me

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
A torrent works by blocks so if there's a text file in addition to the video and you skipped that file when you downloaded it, then it would say the video is 99.9% complete even if you have the full thing since it won't be able to complete the block that include that text file.

Could also be corruption and if it's small, it won't affect playback, you'll just see a small glitch at the exact spot that's corrupted during playback.

Just make sure to do a force a hash check before reseeding(if you still had the torrent open in your client, it should do one if you add the torrent manually), that'll make sure everything is fine with the file.

What you're doing is pretty much the thing to do, redownloading to fix the missing/corrupted parts. Just make sure you download every files, even if they're useless garbage.

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016
ok things are not working out . The above solutions gets the torrent to 100% completion, but causes ERROR: Element Not Found when reseeding

So the best solution is:

1) if you get to 99.9% on the video file...play it and see if it works...If it does your set

2) If you really want to get to 100%, use the initial torrent to get to 99.9%, then find another torrent with same size and file and DL that torrent....that will get you to 100%

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
From googling that error, it means utorrent can't read the data on your hard drive so there's a chance the issue is that your hard drive is starting to fail or it just might be full or you're downloading to a networked drive and the connection has issue, hard to say without knowing more so I'd say try to eliminate as much of those variables as you can by using another local hard drive if you can or checking the health of your hard drive if you're downloading locally.

Could also be the antivirus causing issue but would be unlikely with video files, unless the torrents have other files that could be viewed as problematic inside.

If all the above fails, you could try a different torrent client, like qtorrent or whatever else you prefer, might fix it.

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016
Thank you all for your help and support....but trying to figure out what's wrong and trying to fix it is giving me a headache. it seems to occur to my old DLs. I mean they play fine for me.

sorry if many people are stuck at 99.9%. Your best bet is to find another torrent that contains the same video file name and video size and DL it into the same folder

OR DL using filejoker

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
look at that share ratio....is that even possible
I'm assuming you restarted that torrent and only downloaded a fraction of it to have it go back to seeding since you had most of it already so that's why that number is so high, it calculates the 256kb you downloaded as your only download on it and you uploaded 458GB total.

One thing I'd like to know is if there are files that you skipped in the files tab for the downloads that people say only completes up to 99.9%.

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016
The 99.9% problem I see on my side is only on the video file(s) but then again I’ve always been a selective (picky) downloader. If the torrent had multiple videos. I’d download the one(s) I needed or wanted only. Also I’ve hardly ever downloaded the text files in the torrents.

Here I only chose the 2.0gb video file

1656727425424.png

now this old torrent made in bitcomet had the 99.9% problem, but luckily I was able to fix it

1656727506622.png

Last edited:

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016
I've been reseeding on and off since 2018...but I hadn't heard of any problems back then. So what's different?? I don't know the nitty titty about torrents I'm just a casual user, but....

1) torrents were created long time ago

2) torrents DL in bitcomet and old versions of utorrent??

3) folders, files got moved around

4) around may 2021..utorrent crashed and I lost my torrent list..thousands and thousands of old torrents erased from utorrent. Before that crash, if I wanted to reseed something I would just turn on that torrent from the list. So I now I have to go to c:/user/username/appdata/roaming/utorrent, find the old torrent and click and set the download location to wherever the file is located and rescan the folder, is that the correct term? And that's where I think I'm getting a lot of my 99.9% bugs

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
That's why you're having issues(not downloading everything), everything in a torrent is separated by blocks of data of a certain fixed size so even if you have the full file, you won't be able to share all of it if you don't also have the portion of the blocks(one at the beginning and one end of the file you have) that's overlapping on multiple files.

When you just downloaded it, depending on how the client handles it(not sure about the details on that and it's gonna change per client), part of the files you didn't download got downloaded anyway to complete those blocks and that data was stored somewhere. I'm assuming some of your moving around deleted that data or before there was also someone else with that data and it could complete it. even with 100% of the video, the client won't tell you it's 100% complete since it's seeing one or 2 blocks of data as incomplete.

If you were to create a new torrent with just the file you have and share that, it would complete to 100% with no issue, now and forever(assuming the video never gets corrupted).

Or do what you're doing now to try and fix it, but when that temporary data gets lost again, you'll run into the same issue.

It's really annoying but sadly that's how it is. I really wish it would work with blocks that wouldn't overlap with other files because that has caused me some headaches too.

Last edited:

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016
I don't want to sound dense....I get what you're saying about not downloading file in the torrent...

but then I can't explain why this one was fine ..as far as I can tell from the data if I'm understanding the data ..this one didn't have the 99.9% problem...

so vid file is 100% didn't DL everything
1656733688947.png

says created 3/26/14 in bitcomet 1.35
added on 6/20/2022
Downloaded 0B
1656733824909.png

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If you look at the done column in your first screenshot, you can see it downloaded 403kB of the second file, which finished the block that was started on the first file so it can see that first file as complete, since you have the 403kB of extra data.

Which means someone was seeding the portion you needed to complete the block and it downloaded on its own without you noticing.

BTW, I've used the term block but looks like utorrent uses pieces instead, which is what the number of that column is.