Corrupted file error message while seeding

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Hi. I'm fairly new to uploading torrents. Most of my torrents have worked fine, but once in a while the following problem occurs. I'm seeding a torrent for a file on my hard drive (usually a big one, like an ISO), and many hours (sometimes days) after I started seeding, Azureus pops up an error message saying some chunk of the file is corrupted and it will redownload. Ignoring the original file on my hard drive, Azureus then tries to download it from the Internet. The problem is, I'm usually the only seeder! When this happens, naturally I check the original file to see if it's all right, and invariably it is fine. I have peers waiting for this seed, so I delete the torrent from my download queue and open it up again using the "Open/Torrent File..." menu. Azureus tells me that the file already exists on my hard drive, and says that if I open this torrent file, it will check the original to make sure it is complete.

Now, in theory, what Azureus should do is check the file, and once it finds that the file is complete, move it to the upload queue, right? Well, what happens is that it gets to 99.8%, decides that the file is not complete, leaves it in the download queue and tries (fruitlessly) to download the "missing" 0.2% When this first happened, I deleted the torrent file, made a new one, and posted a message to the forum asking those who had been downloading to delete the file and try the new torrent file. But then two days later, the same thing happened with the same file! I know this ISO file is fine. I've opened it and run it twice. I don't want to delete the file and once again ask everyone to delete it and start again, particularly if the same thing is going to happen 2 days from now.

Have any of you ever had this problem, and, more importantly, do you know how to fix or avoid it? I'm using Azureus 3.0.4.2 on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook with 2 GB of memory running OS X 10.5.1. I have a fiber optic Internet connection through NTT, here in Japan, and my upload speed on Azureus occasionally surpasses 1MB/s. The file I'm currently having trouble with can be found here. [Edit: Now I've got the same problem with another ISO file here.]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :bow-pray:

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Well, I didn't get an answer here, so I searched over at the Azureus Vuze Forums. I'll post what I found here, just in case another Akiba Onliner encounters a similar problem. According to this thread, it may be "that apple modifies the headers of the .dmg files automatically for some reason... like updating timestamps or whatever." Come to think of it, the modification date of a disk image on Mac OS seems to be updated every time it's mounted. This may be the problem. I'm trying to get around the problem by compressing the ISO file into ZIP format, and uploading a torrent of the ZIP file.

attachment.php

Knick-knick paddywhack give a dog a bone!

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
If I understand that quote, perhaps you could set the iso to be read-only to prevent any modifications. I can't say I've ever run into your problem. I use utorrent on Windows XP Pro.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
indreamsiwalk I'm on Mac and use Azureus for uploading as well. I've never come across this problem before. Are you using Apples disk utility to make your isos? I use toast, and strongly recommend it for this. I would also suggest to not zip the iso. That will add another level of waiting for the unzipping that many might opt to not download the file. It's a strange occurance indeed.
desioner

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I figured out that the problem was that the ISOs I was making were not truly ISOs, but rather ISO-like files made for the Mac (HFS+) filing system. There is an option in Mac's "Disk Utility" application to make a "hybrid" ISO, which is a stupid name, since it's a true ISO that can be opened on any platform. (The files are actually smaller than the CDR files the same utility makes, no doubt because they lack the HFS+-only data.)
Anyway, the problem has disappeared, and I haven't had any complaints about my more recent uploads.
The quote, by the way, is from Family Guy. It seemed appropriate because after not getting a response here for a while, I felt like I was talking to myself, which is what Stewie is doing there. :exhausted:
Desioner, I'll take a look at Toast. Many thanks. :bow-pray: