Public WiFi Usage

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
So, I have an old Toshiba laptop I bought from eBay some time back for like $50. Smaller 10.1 inch variety, just to see if I could use it for this and that when I'm out and about. Nothing serious, I really don't like laptops. I've dusted it off, wiped the slow Windows 7 Starter OS that came with it and installed a Chromium based OS. I'm thinking, to avoid getting a notice from my ISP that I've almost maxed out my bandwidth for the billing cycle, I can upload things away from home instead! My problem, I believe, is that to get one title up for others to enjoy, I have to use the file size worth of bandwidth twice! 1.78GB to download. 1.78GB to upload. That's 3.56GB of total bandwidth used for one title.

Don't get me wrong, I know darn well the house uses Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video. JAV is not the only thing eating up our data. Still, I'm about to try this experiment.

There is a fast food place right next to my office. They have free WiFi. I'm thinking I can walk over with my laptop and upload files to the file hosts there. That way I really only use one way traffic at home.

Has anyone used Public WiFi for something like this? Now, I'm thinking it is going to be VERY possible that anything I try to get to will be blocked (FileJoker, Subyshare).

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Update on this. Yes, I know, almost two full years later, but, I was combing through threads in this section and found this one that I never went back to. Shame on me.

It is a McDonald's next to my offices. WiFi sucked, I actually did try this, and it did connect to both FileJoker and Subyshare, but, the upload speed was less than 10Kbps sustained to either platform. So, I finished my Big Mac, downed my large Coke and walked back across the open parking lot in slight defeat. I say slight because the super cute woman that managed that location at the time smiled when she saw me come in and smiled when I was walking out. :cool: