Pushing threads by "bump" and "up" posts

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Hello everyone, :)

one thing I recognized recently is that some members pushing their request threads (ID or download) by posting "bump" and "up" posts. Okay, of course I recognized that right after I became a member of AO. But recently it is more present.

What do you think of this posts? Are the a legitimate for getting more attention? Or are they annoying (unread thread without any new content)? Maybe unfair (as others patiently wait that their requests are fulfilled while their threads move from the top of the thread view to the bottom and then to the 2nd, 3rd, ... page)?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
As long as there aren't any "crossposts", (posting the same message multiple times in the same or different threads), which is in violation of forum rules, I am okay with thread bumping. People do tend to forget old threads afterall. There are forum settings that allow members to see the most recently posted threads (sorted by date posted) in most sections. I use it all the time myself. So a new thread can't actually be buried by a new post in an old thread if you view sections like this. Personally I think it should be the default setting but that is not my department. As far as crossposts go just use the report button.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Means I can revive all of my old request threads by "bumping" until they are fulfilled? ;)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Yep. Some forums have rules against it, this one does not. However you cannot merely bump a thread with the word "bump" in multiple threads or even in the same thread as that would be crossposting.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
i saw someone warned (not infracted) for bumping a thread recently

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
i saw someone warned (not refracted) for bumping a thread recently

yes possibly by me for excessive bumping, the odd bump here and there is not so bad, but some do go over the top

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Thread bumping is a large pet peeve of mine. Yes, I allow old threads to be bumped but there are members that specifically look at request sections and ID sections to help out others. Bumping is not always going to get the response you want.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
yeah, it might have been desioner.
anyway, it wasnt a criticism, just an observation.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
If a mod doesn't appreciate a members behavior he has the authority to enforce corrective measures at his discretion. That is why there is forum rule 19.

Reactions: desioner

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
It's when people start repeatedly and consistently bumping threads of old vids, particularly torrents that I find myself getting annoyed. One particular assclown from a few years ago was doing this constantly, asking someone to seed a torrent that had been posted three or four years prior. That kind of behaviour should be curtailed, when someone keeps doing it the way this guy did.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
the problem with old torrents,

we all lose stuff from time to time (whether it is our fault or not), and we all have our favourites, and if we lose it, we would like to restock, and the next problem is the newbie who is just discovering certain Idols (example Yuko Ogura, like the way I slipped in the request), and require to see all the material she has done, the only way to get it is usually through requests,

I was wondering, how many look at the request thread?

Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Completely agree, I was the same way when I was a newbie here. We have even had people post old dead torrents in an effort to get reseeds without getting any shit about it.

But the forum and staff has to take some responsibility here as they have not addressed the issue. There is no sticky with rules and conduct for the beginners that addresses such issues. There are literally more Idol videos posted here than our members could conceivably seed but most are willing to help, especially the original posters of the work but often enough just good contributing members who get no credit or recongnition for their efforts. (A kind member reseeded a torrent that I myself had posted and lost when my last computer crashed yet I had never seen him post any torrent himself).

Perhaps a seperate subsection for each torrent area specifically for reseed requests should be seriously considered. In addition, (to reiterate in context), a sticky specifically for newbies should be at the top of each torrent section that not only points to this area but sets guidelines regarding their conduct and what is required of them. This should have references/links to all appropriate rule threads spread throughout the forum (which must be confusing to first timers). In this way members who do not post new content have a way to "give back" to the community by reseeding older torrents for the newbies, older members don't have to deal with the constant bumping of old torrent threads, and the mods have surer guidelines on how to deal with this issue of "bumping" in the torrent section.
The whole idea here is to make Akiba-Online a constantly better place for both the members and the staff with the least amount of continued effort.

Just a suggestion of course............

Reactions: CoolKevin

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
thinking about, a lot of what you just said, for sometime now, but getting it right and using the right words
we did have a newbie thing somewhere but I suppose that got lost in the chaos

Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Chompy has a way with words, let him know what you want and see if you can get him off his ass to write it. If he does a simple preface you mods can keep the thread locked and add to it when needed. This is right up his alley too but please don't tell him I suggested anything, it will kill the mood.

Reactions: CoolKevin