Please report spam posts

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
This is just a reminder to all members.

When you see an obvious spam post, simply click the "report post" button in the top right corner of a post.

This will alert moderators to the post and they can deal with it, and the poster, more effectively.

Thanks.

NoriHiiro

Jun 27, 2008
Does this include people that are just clicking every topic and writing "thanks" to bump the post count? I've noticed alot of people posting "thanks" to things have long dead links. In Direct Download forums it's getting really ridiculous, people are thanking dead links, and it moves dead links to the front page

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
One of the forums I subscribe to has a limit on posts with less than 10 characters. (It also censors "rice"!!!???) It's a tough call, disregarding the ones with dead links, a lot of old posts still have active links, with great content.

Some great posts deserve an honest bump. I think that's a positive reflection on this board and the volume of great posts. I would in no way condone or defend a post whore.

Certainly board etiquette is a quality that is learned. While the topic of board etiquette could be stickied, the people who need it the most would invariably be the ones least likely to read it.

NoriHiiro

Jun 27, 2008
One of the forums I subscribe to has a limit on posts with less than 10 characters. (It also censors "rice"!!!???) It's a tough call, disregarding the ones with dead links, a lot of old posts still have active links, with great content.

Some great posts deserve an honest bump. I think that's a positive reflection on this board and the volume of great posts. I would in no way condone or defend a post whore.

Certainly board etiquette is a quality that is learned. While the topic of board etiquette could be stickied, the people who need it the most would invariably be the ones least likely to read it.

Certainly a good post should be bumped, but when someone bumps dead links that are for a video that looks really good, and you sit through all the urlcash linkbucks crap to get it, and find out its dead its pretty irritating. Theres already a thanks button, so posting "thanks" should be considered spam, ESPECIALLY IF THE LINKS ARE ALREADY DEAD

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
Does this include people that are just clicking every topic and writing "thanks" to bump the post count? I've noticed alot of people posting "thanks" to things have long dead links. In Direct Download forums it's getting really ridiculous, people are thanking dead links, and it moves dead links to the front page
I never gave this much thought, but now that it's been pointed out, I'm finding it's increasingly annoying. And I'm noticing it's the same few jackasses who do it. Is this how one becomes a "Senior Member," simply by post count? I thought Senior Members were those who posted solid content. I'm so naive.:giveup:

I will support a ban on "Thanks" comments. I respect the sentiment, but at least add a few thoughts on why you think a post deserves thanks, such as a short review or synopsis of what you enjoyed.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006

No. Although it may be annoying, there is no rule in place regarding 'thanks posts'.

Example

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
No. Although it may be annoying, there is no rule in place regarding 'thanks posts'.

Example

With all due respect, I disagree;

Rule #1: Do NOT SPAM. We're not going to be TOO terribly strict with what spamming is, but if you deliberately post "Stupid Posts And Messages", we will warn you and if it continues, ban you.

I realize you have bigger issues than this, with the "database not available" and the increased traffic on AO and with that in mind, I think that a few of the newer users are using a "thanks" post to pump up their post count.

(I tried to use the "view all posts by" feature to find out if the few blatant offenders have posted any content other than "thanks" but that feature returns an error - The page cannot be found.)

I have never used the ignore list feature, but I will now add Happy7, pato65 and CR7 to my ignore list for their frivolous "thanks." Some other users may be added including THUNDER, CrazyT, funfunfunx, doctorpis, Starbow, etc.

I hope to be able to use the View Public Profile soon to confirm my suspicions.

While I may be guilty of not posting content, I try not to be a post whore.