Playing video files on Blu-Ray player

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

rnishimura

Jan 19, 2008
I have three blu-ray players and last year they would play 98% of movies with no problems. DIVX, XVID, WMV and whatever else. H.264 is OK too. Even in the MKV container format. Even 1080p.

In the last 6 months about 60% of MKV files (usually the HD ones) need to be moved to an MP4 container to work properly. I use "mkvavi2mp4" which does it without re-encoding.

Now most MP4 files don't play on either of them. Re-encoding HD on a Quad Core stinks.

Is there a new encoding method that breaks playback on Blu-Ray players or set-top boxes? It almost makes me think that 90% of encoded releases these days comes from one single "group" or something. Is that even possible?

I realize technology changes so fast, but it's just strange that less and less movies now play.

BTW I don't expect people to post movies that work on my Blu-Ray player. It's just a bonus. IMO nothing beats viewing JAV etc on a big Wooden Console TV! I also just upgraded to a clicker!

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
The most likely cause is that the codecs on your bluray players don't support some features of the recent encoders/containers which would explain why it fail for almost everything new.
To test that theory, try this small sample I just encoded, it's was done with recent and proper software so if it doesn't work, that's likely the cause: http://www.uploadable.ch/file/uarQC4vNhZUa/IESP-085_test_8bit.mkv
I would suggest checking if there are firmware updates for them, it may help.