Help with .AVI that won't play, except in GOMPlayer

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

ikimashou

May 17, 2007
I just got an .avi video I wanted to torrent for the site, but I can't play it in most media players. Window's Media Player gives the generic "cannot play the video file...might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." DivX player says "failed to open file...please check that it is a valid avi or mpeg-4 file." RealPlayer says "Cannot play file...the format is not supported," but before it closes DOES put the title in the information bar. VLC opens it and sizes it to the proper dimensions, but the time stays at 0.00/0.00, and no sound or video plays.

The only way I could play it was with GOMPlayer, which I normally only use for Korean streams. I have not tried rebooting (because I'm still sharing files), but this is the only video I have that won't play in VLC, so I don't think that will fix anything.

Are there Japanese/Korean codexes that don't come with the US players, but may have been used to compress the file (a Japanese movie)? Any help with how to fix it, or what I can do to check what may be wrong with the file or my players would be greatly appreciated. Just let me know if you need more info. I don't really want to torrent it if no one will be able to play the file, and it's too big to be uploaded to a file host (680 megs). Thanks.

ikimashou

May 17, 2007
Thanks.

MPC gives this error: "MPC could not render some of the pins in the praph, you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed on the system." And identified Vorbis 1 as the pin. "Look for codecs on the net" just opens a blank firefox window. It then plays the file with no sound. I downloaded the newest MPC right before doing this.

GSpot gives the following error: "Rendering failed. error: 0x80040265: [unknown]"

I'm not sure how many people have GOMPlayer, and I don't want to waste time torrenting something no one will be able to play. Do the errors above help at all?

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
It means it's not an AVI file. It has the wrong extension.

It could be a real media, ogm, mp4 or any number of other streams. Check the file properties when you run it in GOM player.

Also, since it plays in gomplayer, it means the file works, but it is best to know EXACTLY what file type it is before you share a file.

ikimashou

May 17, 2007
Thanks again, chompy. The file info outputs:

*** DIRECTSHOW FILTER LIST ***
1. Default DirectSound Device
2. Video Renderer
3. AC3Filter
4. Overlay Mixer
5. Gretech Audio
6. Gretech Video
7. Gretech Ogg Source

*** VIDEO INFO ***
Input Type : DX50(GVC)
Input Size : 480 x 360
Output Type : YUY2
Output Size : 480 x 360
FrameRate(Frame/sec) : 0.00 (29.97)

*** AUDIO INFO ***
SampleRate(Sample/sec) : 48000
BitRate(Bit/sample) : 16
Channels : 2
KBitRate(KBit/sec) : 0

I of course don't know what that means. I tried renaming it mp4, rm, ogm, mpg, and none worked any better.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Looks like GOM player possesses its own native codecs that allow you to play the file on its own player (Gretech Audio, Video, Ogg Source) but since its native, your other video players cannot make use of it.

DX50 = Divx 5.0 video codec.

So a quick google search will net you the codec you're looking for or you can just grab a codec pack like CCCP. Renaming won't do anything if you do not have the proper video codecs.

ikimashou

May 17, 2007
hmmm...I guess I had the previous vlc player (0.8.5). It plays fine in 0.8.6b, except that the total time displayed is incorrect (it thinks the file is 32 hours, 48 minutes, 26 seconds long instead of about 1 hour 20 minutes).

I think it should be fine to torrent now, as long as I explain which players to use (newest vlc or any GOMPlayer) to play it.