Offline BBcode editor - any suggestions?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It's not a standardized language so some tag could change from forum to forum which would make it hard to make an offline editor that works everywhere. Your best bet would be to use the preview function on a specific forum when you make a post and just cancel everything if you don't actually want to post it now.

Personally, I just use notepad2 and add the tags for what I want to do manually(which I also often do with the online editor when it's faster to do so) if I want to prepare a post template and preview it before posting to make sure I didn't screw up somewhere.

A quick google search also found this one, if you want an alternative, which is open source: http://www.sceditor.com/

Out of curiosity, why would you need an offline bbcode editor?

Reactions: 1 person

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
It's not a standardized language so some tag could change from forum to forum which would make it hard to make an offline editor that works everywhere. Your best bet would be to use the preview function on a specific forum when you make a post and just cancel everything if you don't actually want to post it now.

Personally, I just use notepad2 and add the tags for what I want to do manually(which I also often do with the online editor when it's faster to do so) if I want to prepare a post template and preview it before posting to make sure I didn't screw up somewhere.

A quick google search also found this one, if you want an alternative, which is open source: http://www.sceditor.com/

Out of curiosity, why would you need an offline bbcode editor?

Thanks for your post.

That SCEditor seems to be an online editor, not an offline one. Or I'm wrong?

Because I have lost a few posts (which were - and that's very interesting - always the very long ones, never the short ones) in the past. So if I write a longer post I want to write it offline so I don't loose it. Unfortunately the back button of your browser doesn't always bring back the content of the text area in which you tipped it.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Oh, it seems that you're right, I guess I didn't look at it close enough. Technically you could use it as an offline editor by making your own local website and using it, but that would be a lot of trouble just for that. Sorry about misleading you.

I've also taken the habit of writing long post offline, but I don't use a lot of bbcode and write it manually when I do as I said before so I just use my favorite text editor instead.

If you didn't know, Akiba now has a nice auto-save feature from which you can restore not-yet-posted post. I even managed to restore one after my computer had a BSOD and I had to reboot so it works pretty well. When you go back in the thread and post, it should ask you if you want to restore the last saved post on the top left of the reply box if I'm not mistaken.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
No problem.

Yes, I've noticed the auto-safe feature. That is really one of points which improved here after the "great reboot".

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
BBCode is pretty simple, although I guess if you wrote a long post and had to recode it would be irritating but not exactly very hard. Also most forums don't allow all BBCode, including this one. I know you have your reasons but I would personally advise against the extra hassle of finding and using an extra program just for this. The more you use BBCode the faster you type it.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
BBCode is pretty simple, although I guess if you wrote a long post and had to recode it would be irritating but not exactly very hard. Also most forums don't allow all BBCode, including this one. I know you have your reasons but I would personally advise against the extra hassle of finding and using an extra program just for this. The more you use BBCode the faster you type it.

Thanks for your post. I'm not using the editor because I want to have a WYSIWYG editor. But I want to type my posts offline - at least the longer ones. And then it is very convenient to have a preview - like I have here, too.

Reactions: 1 person

dlkvel

May 19, 2008
BBcode is basically simplified HTML with square brackets, so if you go learn basic HTML, you will understand BBcode.

Honestly, I think you'd be better of using the WSYWIG editor than doing it the hard way by hand.
The advanced/WSYWIG editor is fine

Windows Live writer is actually a very very good blog/html editor. It's free. And very good.

I'd suggest keeping notepad or a clipboard manager open when you're writing long posts.
Using a clipboard manager makes this automatic, and easy, and certainly less painful than losing

Clipboard managers.

Text editors.

bbcode stuff