Moving to Japan

bad_character

Sep 24, 2010
Hello everyone I'm more of a lurker when it comes to this site but I've put a lot of thought into the topic at hand and I'd like to get some perspective from citizen or other people who have gone through or at least considered the same?

How much money is considered safe to save?
Where would you like to stay or attempt to live at?
Do you have any friends or family in Japan?
Is finding a Job easy? Do you make enough money to live happy?
Are you a student?
Is it hard to make new friends?

One last question is about becoming a citizen but Im sure I can google the answer

Spanish is my first language so sorry about my poor English.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I started a movie some time ago. Maybe you find some useful information there: Live / life and work in Japan

About your questions (maybe you should have numbered them):
  1. Good question. Never thought about it.
  2. Hm, I guess I would start in Tokyo because it's maybe more likely to get a job there (especially for a foreigner).
  3. Friends? Hm, maybe. I'm in contact with a few Japanese people. Okay, maybe "friends" is a little bit too much as I never met them. But we have contact over the Internet regularly.
    Anyway I have my doubts that this would help me in any way if I would move to Japan. In this case I need real people around me.
    Family? No, I would be the first one there. ;)
  4. Can't answer that yet. And: I hope so.
  5. No, definitely not.
  6. Can't answer that yet.
  7. Citizenship? I guess I would first try to stay there for a longer time than a regular vacation trip (e.g. a language school). If my language skills are on a decent level I would try to get a job there and work there for a few years. And after that I would worry about the citizenship (which takes a few years of stay before you can apply for it).
    And if in any phase of this I would get the feeling that my future doesn't lie in Japan I would move back or to another country. Another point why I wouldn't worry about the citizenship. Maybe in the end all the time I worried were just a waste of time. And if I decide to stay I would start thinking about it then - and I guess there will be enough time then to think about it.

Last edited:

EroMura777

Apr 5, 2015
I'm in contact with a few Japanese people. Okay, maybe "friends" is a little bit too much as I never met them. But we have contact over the Internet regularly.

I'm curious about where to find Japanese people (who presumably speak more than only Japanese) eager to meet people from outside Japan.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
i'm sure there are sites in the Internet (like the dating sites, but not for dating, but friendship & penpal instead) where you can find such Japanese people.
But I can't recommend any site as I haven't used any of these.

princeali692

Jav is love... Jav is life...
Jun 29, 2012
The company I work for might pay for me to get some cisco certifications. If I were to take a serious Japanese class and studied hard to get to certain proficiency in the language while also having some technical expertise, would I be more likely to land a good paying job moving to Japan?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
*If you're not from a commonwealth country, then you'll need a degree OR 7 years related experience in the position that the company is sponsoring you to do.
*If you ARE from a commonwealth country and under 30, you can get yourself a working-holiday visa which, depending on your skill level and charisma, may land you a job in your chosen profession.

Otherwise, if you learn Japanese and think that's all it'll take, you'll still just be a foreigner with 'passable' Japanese and the same job-skills (or less) of a local who's fluent and whome the company doesn't need to spend 500,000 yen to sponsor.

Reactions: charlosian

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Is this the voice of experience talking?

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
*If you're not from a commonwealth country, then you'll need a degree OR 7 years related experience in the position that the company is sponsoring you to do.
*If you ARE from a commonwealth country and under 30, you can get yourself a working-holiday visa which, depending on your skill level and charisma, may land you a job in your chosen profession.

Otherwise, if you learn Japanese and think that's all it'll take, you'll still just be a foreigner with 'passable' Japanese and the same job-skills (or less) of a local who's fluent and whome the company doesn't need to spend 500,000 yen to sponsor.
Hm, I know a guy which is not from a commonwealth country, doesn't have a degree (he is currently doing that and has no working experience), has now a job at a Japanese company and will stop studying because of that. I guess it depends on your skills - language as well as professional skills - personal contacts and luck. But isn't that the same like at home? :) Okay, beside the language and the visa sponsorship, of course. ;)

princeali692

Jav is love... Jav is life...
Jun 29, 2012
I actually do have a bachelor's degree in IT. I just figure it would be a bonus to have a valuable certification in something like cisco routing to do networking in Japan. It seems to me along with my degree, any certifications I get, I should be qualified in terms of experience and education. I just wouldn't want to go to Japan without some level of basic Japanese. If I were to actually dedicate myself to this goal would have a decent shot don't you think?

Reactions: Ceewan

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I actually do have a bachelor's degree in IT. I just figure it would be a bonus to have a valuable certification in something like cisco routing to do networking in Japan. It seems to me along with my degree, any certifications I get, I should be qualified in terms of experience and education. I just wouldn't want to go to Japan without some level of basic Japanese. If I were to actually dedicate myself to this goal would have a decent shot don't you think?
I also have a degree in IT, but I'm a developer while you seem to be an administrator or network technician or something like that. After visiting a language school for some time next year I will also try to get a job there - at least for some time. I'm not sure if I really want to migrate there. And if I really want to have a job there I will decide after visiting the school there. I know that there are some IT companies there which are (also) looking for foreign employees and even willing to sponsor the visa. Some other companies are okay with foreign employees, but expect that you're already there and have a valid working visa. Anyway I would encourage your to try it. If you don't try it you will never know if you would have succeeded or not. :)

EDIT: Beside my degree I don't have any extra certificates or anything like that. But I have 15 years of work experience, had an own company for 5 years (3 years during my studies and 2 years full time after that). And my programming experience is around 26 years. I used several programming languages and systems. So I guess that should balance the fact that I don't have any extra certificates. ;)

Reactions: princeali692

Jackdee

Aug 19, 2011
I have lived in Japan for many years and suggsest Tokyo as a start.

If you have no Japanese ability you will struggle to find employment in Japanese companies. Most internet searches for jobs in Japan are very low paid teaching jobs or very high paid IT jobs (usually requiring Japanese skill).

Making friends is easy if you are a nice guy .

I would come for a vacation for a few weeks or up to 3 months (tourist visa) to see what kind of things are available to you.

Good Luck

shinjiIII

May 23, 2010
I'll put my two cents in.

It's different for everyone, but I saved about $10,000 before coming. Only because I wanted my first year to be more or less a vacation, plus I was planning to attend a Japanese intensive course.

Where would you like to stay or attempt to live at?
Tokyo is your best bet for a job as a foreigner. To be honest, I haven't tried any other place in Japan as yet.

Do you have any friends or family in Japan?
I do have friends. I've also been dating a girl here for the past year now, and i've gotten to know her family pretty implicitly as well.

Is finding a Job easy? Do you make enough money to live happy?
It depends on what you're looking for. When I did start to work, i first started working at an English company, until I found work that utilized my Japanese skills, as well as my other skillsets. Now i'm pretty on my way towards having a pretty great life here.

Are you a student?
No.

Is it hard to make new friends?
I'd say it is at first. I'd still say that finding a solid peer group takes a bit of time, especially if you're looking for Japanese friends.

Biggest thing, make a plan, and put it in motion today. I've been here for a little over two years now, and I don't regret making the move at all. It WILL be hard for at least your first two years, but stick it out, and you'll not only have a great life here, but you'll grow to be a stronger person.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
>shinjilll

Really nice reply. One of the better commentaries I have read since the member "guy" left for "the grass that looked greener". Very good stuff, thx.

According to the web Kyoto is a really good place for foriegners to get a job as well.

Reactions: WillEater

EroMura777

Apr 5, 2015
It's different for everyone, but I saved about $10,000 before coming. Only because I wanted my first year to be more or less a vacation, plus I was planning to attend a Japanese intensive course.

This is an encouraging post indeed. I also had in mind saving more or less that amount of money, more if I can.

Where did you live at first? How much did it cost?

shinjiIII

May 23, 2010
This is an encouraging post indeed. I also had in mind saving more or less that amount of money, more if I can.

Where did you live at first? How much did it cost?
Sorry about the delay. I lived in the west part of Tokyo for about a year and a half in a share house. At the time it costed 72000/m including utilities.