meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

maliciel

Feb 28, 2007
Aw nice, a new version!

I can't seem to get it working, though. Getting the same problem as isityours a few pages back, with mencoder crashing at (seemingly) random points. Running meguiv on 64bit win7. Any known remedy at this point?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Try this test build and report back; it's identical to 1.0.1.1 except it uses a different version of mencoder. I also sent it to isityours but I don't know if he ever got it working:

http://www.multiupload.com/NNECKCNJM0

(Do not run from the same folder as the official 1.0.1.1)

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
sorry Rollyco, i thought i had gotten back to you about that build. that error persisted and so i ended up reinstalling windows (i had a boot image). the install was a little funky anyway and after reinstalling i decided to make that installation for ripping and video etc so no antivirus. i then tried the standard build (which had been giving me trouble previously) and although it failed the first time i used it (right after it started encoding the first few frames) it has been working ok. i havent used that alternative build since as the standard one worked.

EDIT i tried the version with the updated mencoder and it failed just as the rip started. standard build is working fine so no problem.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
any good for Macs?? PLease let me know~~ Many thanks!!!:puzzled:

i feel this is going to become a habit but, is it really that much hassle to just read the posts in a given thread?
i realize everyone has different levels of understanding regarding computers and im noone to be giving lectures but the fact that it is an .exe file is a pretty big hint i think.
in the case of your question, reading posts 15-17 will answer your question (i hope).

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
i feel this is going to become a habit but, is it really that much hassle to just read the posts a given thread?

I think having to read 163 posts in a row is a bit of a hassle. Though I acknowledge most of the relevant information must be on the first post.

Blackdance

Jun 1, 2010
My copy of MeguIV keep saying it can not find avisynth.dll, I thought that problem was solved? I am on Vista (of course!) Home Premium 32bit and I am using the latest MeguIV release. I have read all messages here but I am still stuck.

During one of the many tries it finally found avisynth.dll but then it said it cannot find MFC.dll or something like that (Microsoft Foundation Classes?)

Running it as a normal user with admin privileges or as the administrator user didn't help. Any help/idea/hack will be really appreciated, TIA.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Have you tried deleting the "Sandbox" folder before running meguIV.exe?

Have you tried creating a new Vista user account just for the purpose of running meguIV?

Blackdance

Jun 1, 2010
Many thanks for the quick response! Yep, I tried both but nothing changed. I was able to access the MeguUI logs folder tough and the logs I have read seems to confirm that it is a "simple" permissions problem as you are suggesting. I cannot reproduce it so I cannot send them to you, but I think with a little more patience I will be able to sort this out. :puzzled:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong. I have testing this on a vanilla Vista installation and no problems came up.

Blackdance

Jun 1, 2010
I think it will take a while to have it working on my machine, I just discovered my home directory was owned by SYSTEM and not by me... MS added UAC to Windows as an afterthought and 15-20 years too late... This is the result... I spent a lot of time to secure this system on the Net to discover the local filesystem is trashed... How it works Avidemux2 and Avisynth on your installement? Quality is high enough to enable the [HQ] tag on posts? I have a Linux box which is much more reliable then Vista... it is 64bit too. :perfectplan:

Blackdance

Jun 1, 2010
While I am writing MeguIV is encoding its first video. :)

A DLL was missing on my system, MSVCR71.DLL - apparently MeGUI.exe has been compiled with an old (2004) version of Visual Studio. I have very few programs installed on my PC, none of them installed it nor it is still shipped with newer systems. I got a copy from here:

hXXp://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr71

This DLL calls avisynth, from there the misleading error that avisynth.dll is missing too. I just copied MSVCR71.DLL to C:\Windows\System as per instructions to have MeguIV working, no need to reboot nor to run it as the administrator user. :)

Just in case someone else has the same problem, hope this can be helpful.

Infinite thanks for providing such a great package! :D

jc1762

Dec 5, 2009
Quick Question, I'm too lazy to flip through all 18 pages and from what I understand from the first page I can use this program to rip any JAV dvd's I have to AVI or MP4?

Secondly, does this work for VCD?

jc1762

Dec 5, 2009
mind my noobness.... but is deinterlacing the same as ripping (ie. putting my dvd into avi format)... I just want to rip some dvds and contribute to the community...

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
but is deinterlacing the same as ripping
Deinterlacing is just part of the ripping process used for DVDs. This post explains deinterlacing. MeguIV does high quality deinterlacing as part of its operation.

I just want to rip some dvds and contribute to the community...
Then MeguIV is the ideal tool for you. Just follow the steps in the first post, that's all you need to know

anandneemish

Apr 25, 2008
Rollyco,
Thanks for MeguIV. I have used it a few times now and this is pretty close to simple enough for my simple brain. I was searching for the modern equivalent of AutoGK. Your cut is pretty darn close and produces smaller files with higher quality. THANKS!

My question has to do with speed. My reference point is AutoGK, which would encode XVID at slightly faster than real time.

I have a quad core 9550 that has been OC'ed to 3.4GHz. (4GB of RAM available - the other 4GB is used for a RAMdisk). The resulting quality was spectacular.

My last encode with MeguIV of a 2:00 DVD took more than 10 hours at roughly 7+fps. Is this the right amount of time for an encode?

If I were to sacrifice a little quality, how much faster could I get it to encode?

Thanks again.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
Rollyco,
Thanks for MeguIV. I have used it a few times now and this is pretty close to simple enough for my simple brain. I was searching for the modern equivalent of AutoGK. Your cut is pretty darn close and produces smaller files with higher quality. THANKS!

My question has to do with speed. My reference point is AutoGK, which would encode XVID at slightly faster than real time.

I have a quad core 9550 that has been OC'ed to 3.4GHz. (4GB of RAM available - the other 4GB is used for a RAMdisk). The resulting quality was spectacular.

My last encode with MeguIV of a 2:00 DVD took more than 10 hours at roughly 7+fps. Is this the right amount of time for an encode?

If I were to sacrifice a little quality, how much faster could I get it to encode?

Thanks again.

although not equally comparable, my i7 860 (auto OC to 3.00Ghz under load) rips 60 mins of vid at around 10-12fps, usually taking 3-4 hours to complete a rip (.vob to final output). the single pass encode at the end usually runs at about 50-55fps.
those numbers are using the default settings. unfortunately i have never tweaked the settings because i prefer quality over speed and file size.
one thing i have noticed is that every rip is different (for me anyway). sometimes the audio encodes very quickly, sometimes slowly and same for the video encodng.
from what i understand it is the TGMC deinterlacing that takes the time and power.

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
You can get around a 50% speed up [Edit: a lot more as it turns out]. I have updated my MeguIV tips post to include encoding speed-up tips. You'll need to read and follow the instructions carefully, but once you're used to the process it's not hard.

Good luck