meguIV: The Official Akiba-Online DVD Encoder (v1.0.1.1)

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
nnedi2 was upgraded to 1.4, RemoveGrainSSE3 and RepairSSE3 are the same.

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
I tried again with the new v1.0.1.1 and I got a 40-50 percent boost in speed, maybe pushing to 55.:prance: And the 13 minute file previously mentioned went to 231 MB, as opposed to the 277 with the old .05 version -nearly 20 percent improvement.

Will test further but so far so good.
:joker:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I tried again with the new v1.0.1.1
You mean the version I sent you via PM?

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
You mean the version I sent you via PM?

Yeah, is it a different one? :puzzled:

The only iso I have handy is one with Anri Sugihara, so I'll give it a full test with that, to see how much the quality changes and decide if a re-encoding is worth it...

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
The v1.0.1.1 in my PM has the same exact quality as the official v1.0.1.1, but it uses some different components. The reason I created it was because you said the official release:
xater said:
got stuck at 100 percent without doing anything else for about half an hour

So please use the version I sent you via PM, and let me know if it does or doesn't get stuck again.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
well i tried the version i received from you earlier on win7 64 and got this error message (attachment)
i will try it on 32 bit 7 now and let you know.

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
The v1.0.1.1 in my PM has the same exact quality as the official v1.0.1.1, but it uses some different components. The reason I created it was because you said the official release:

So please use the version I sent you via PM, and let me know if it does or doesn't get stuck again.

OK, I used the version you sent and it did not get stuck, I found out that the time difference might be because I was fooling around with the anamorphic/ratio thing, newer Moe file is 640x480 vs the older one which is 720x540... I have 220 GB of space right now so I have to take advantage of that to do some rips... :goodboy:

And seeing isityours message, I got a similar error before, but didn't write it down, but it is working fine with the new version.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
If you can get through a full 1-hour long DVD without problems, I'll release it as 1.0.1.2.

I suggest you stick with the default resolutions; they've been carefully chosen and match the rest of the presets.

Authorised-BMN

A Big Mai Nut
May 17, 2008
meguIV 1.0.0.0

Version 1.0.0.0 worked perfectly for me. I used it to encode the IV posted: here. The great thing is that it was actually faster than meguIV 0.05 for me. The first pass ran at 2.8 fps, compared to around 1.8 fps on the old meguIV. The second pass ran around 12.0 fps, so the net effect was much improved speed (on my 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo). (There are only two passes, right? I must admit I didn't actually watch it end.)

Thanks, Rollyco!

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
There are only two passes, right?
The first video job is the TGMC deinterlacing script getting encoded to a lossless .AVI file with mencoder.exe. The second video job is a 1-pass x264.exe encode of the lossless .AVI file.

shadeofgray

Sep 22, 2009
Been experimenting with some short clips and the new version is great at compressing ''simpler'' scenes like most indoor scenes are, I've got reduction in size of up to 45% compared to the old 0.05 version.

Just finished the two full-length rips that I previously did with 0.05 version, but haven't posted here. Not much reduction in the size for the first rip - 45min, 770MB video track, 4% smaller size. But the second one is much smaller - 60min, 764MB video track, that's almost 20% smaller than what I got with the old version.

BTW, I haven't had any problems with the new 1.0.1.1 version during encoding both short clips and full-lengths, and as others reported the speed increase is significant.

:yahoo:

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
:joker:I finished the Anri Mis*dol encode, I had done it before using the ''one click'' option without changing anything but the audio -lame mp3CBR- and it gave me a wrong aspect ratio -640x464-, I did it again with the file you sent me and it go done with no problem, I made it to be 640x480 and the filesize was slightly larger -using the Nero audio codec default- but I saved about 25ish per cent of time... so it was below the test clips performances :puzzled:, will try with a 853x480 video tomorrow to see how that one goes...

:goodboy:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I just don't get it... why are you messing with different resolutions? Is there something wrong with the defaults? Are you not feeding standard NTSC DVDs to the one-click encoder? Or do you not understand that meguIV uses anamorphic encoding? Maybe you're trying to play the videos with a crappy media player that doesn't understand aspect ratio flagging?

... it's very hard to decipher what you're doing.

I had done it before using the ''one click'' option without changing anything but the audio -lame mp3CBR- and it gave me a wrong aspect ratio -640x464-
640x464??? Madness... I can't think of any way you can get a bad aspect ratio with the default settings. It will never perform major resizing, all it usually does is crop a couple of black pixels off the sides and set an aspect ratio flag (which is never wrong, if you follow the guide). The video frame is always 720x480, just like it's stored on the DVD.

I did it again with the file you sent me and it go done with no problem
There were no changes made to the MeGUI presets in that version, so whatever difference you found was a result of your messing with the settings.

will try with a 853x480 video tomorrow to see how that one goes...[/FONT]:goodboy:
I hope that doesn't mean you're going to resize to 853x480, because that's a complete waste of bits. A 16:9 DVD encoded with the default meguIV settings is already flagged to display at 853x480.

If I were you I would delete the Sandbox folder to reset everything back to normal and stick to the guide. It will handle ALL aspect ratios perfectly. You can't improve it, you can only make it worse.

BipolarRose

Jan 1, 2009
I'm getting an error message when I try to run the program. I attached the error message to this post. I tried reading this thread for a solution, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has the same problem (or maybe I'm just blind? LOL).

I have Windows XP, admin rights, and anti-virus turned off. I also have all the requirements that meguIV needs. I also tried re-downloading from different links.

Any help appreciated.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I'm sorry, but I don't know the cause of that error. The latest version was tested on Windows XP 32-bit SP2 and SP3 vanilla installations (under administrator user accounts) and there were no problems. I would suspect some kind of security software or 'tweak' is interfering. It might even be that your Antivirus software has to be uninstalled rather than just disabled.

BipolarRose

Jan 1, 2009
I'm sorry, but I don't know the cause of that error. The latest version was tested on Windows XP 32-bit SP2 and SP3 vanilla installations (under administrator user accounts) and there were no problems. I would suspect some kind of security software or 'tweak' is interfering. It might even be that your Antivirus software has to be uninstalled rather than just disabled.

Thanks for the reply! I'll play around and see if I can get it to work.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
You might want to try creating a new Administrator user account in Windows and see if it works there. That won't change which drivers or services are loaded, though.

gunyu1

May 8, 2009
i've done converting with this software..but i just see a little differences betwen the old files and the new ones, not a huge upgrade video quality..am i wrong?:study:, but the sounds its a lot better

thx anyway, great works, can't wait for an upgrade version, maybe it's more powerfull

Vitreous

°
Former Staff
Sep 13, 2009
..but i just see a little differences betwen the old files and the new ones, not a huge upgrade video quality..
You're never going to get a huge upgrade in video quality because you're limited by the quality of your source. You can't expect the encoding process to magic up extra high resolution detail from nowhere. MeguIV already achieves close to the limit that can be done with a DVDISO. Improvements at this level are bound to be subtle.