media player

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

ikemrkone1

Jun 13, 2009
Hi everyone, I need help. What is the best media player to have, I just updated kmp and I got a lot of bugs, thanks in advance

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I use VLC, MPC-HC and MPC-BE.

But I think that thread should be moved to the technical sub-forum as it isn't a issue with the forum / board.

Reactions: 1 person

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
VLC is all you will ever really need.

https://videolan.org/

Most of the time I use VLC. But sometimes the player has some problems.
I also use MPC-HC for creating thumbnails. Very handy if you want a movie or clip to get identified. VLC unfortunately doesn't offer such a feature.
And I use MPC-BE because it offers a preview if you moving you mouse over the progress bar (like YouTube and XVideos.com). None of the other 2 players has that feature.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
But other than a special feature or two Media Player Classic is just so-so. I used it before I found VLC and I was always downloading codecs, something I don't have to do any longer with VLC. I don't know about VLCs' special features, (why don't you email them some suggestions?), because my computer is set to Japanese (so I can run Japanese software) and, like many frigging installers, VLC is installed completly in Japanese by default......which I cannot read. Too funny, huh? I am sure there is a way to switch it back but I am too lazy to bother, I get along with it just fine.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If you only want it to play stuff without worry and not have any control over how, then VLC is what you want.

If on the other hand you want to customize things, then you want a directshow based player(assuming you're using windows) like MPC-HC or MPC-BE(has more small features than MPC-HC and the internal codecs are completely different, but tends to be a bit less stable).
You can install different codecs or renderers depending on what you need and if a video doesn't work with a specific codec for some reason, you can switch to another without having to change the player.
Using madvr as the renderer will also give you the best possible picture quality once it has been decoded by the codecs and you can change the algorithm that resize the picture if it needs to be to avoid or minimize the kind of artifacts you don't like.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I'd avoid codec packs like codecguide is suggesting. The latest k-lite update says it has mpc-hc + lavfilters, but mpc-hc actually use lavfilters as its internal codecs already since a couple of months ago so there's not point in installing the standalone version of lavfilters too.