Likes or Dislikes regarding Japanese Music

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
What I was referring to was serious music, music written by individuals and bands and performed by them. Artists that control their own artistic vision. These are few and far between in Japan as I see it.
Actually, "serious" music is in fact quite extensive in Japan. The reason why "manufactured" music is so prevalent is because 1) it's easy to produce, market, and make money, 2) the melody lines are usually simple and memorable enough for even the most tone-deaf to follow when it comes to social events like karaoke, and 3) mass media relies on them because they are easily recognized by a wide range of people. But those are all true in any other globalized culture.

But that doesn't mean "serious" music is hard to find in Japan. Serious jazz is arguably more popular in Japan than in America, oddly enough. Dive bars and local watering holes regularly feature excellent bands. The most reputable acts have sizeable followings and can afford to tour locally, and often regionally. Just like in other countries. And since Japan is tech-savvy, if you have trouble catching wind of these acts by traditional word of mouth, look to online reviews, recommendations, and sources like Facebook/Mixi/Twitter -- again, just like smaller bands promote themselves anywhere else. Or just walk into any record store and listen to some tracks.

Some artists I usually keep in my playlist: Soil & Pimp Sessions, Shiina Ringo and/or Tokyo Incidents, School Food Punishment, Soutaisei-Riron, Quasimode, Jazztronik, Shibasaki Kou, Natural High, Kyoto Jazz Massive, Jabberloop, Chatmonchy, Depapepe, Jill Decoy Association, Pizzicato Five, Zazen Boys, (and if you're up for a little electronic) Coltemonikha, Copter4016882, Plus Tech Squeeze Box, YMCK, Fantastic Plastic Machine, She.

If you haven't heard any of that, there's at least a decade's worth of back logs for you to work through as you get acquainted with the availability of "serious" Japanese music.

Really, the point is just not to throw out all Japanese-produced music as "fake, manufactured" j-pop.

RogerMoore

Apr 8, 2011
Actually, "serious" music is in fact quite extensive in Japan. The reason why "manufactured" music is so prevalent is because 1) it's easy to produce, market, and make money, 2) the melody lines are usually simple and memorable enough for even the most tone-deaf to follow when it comes to social events like karaoke, and 3) mass media relies on them because they are easily recognized by a wide range of people. But those are all true in any other globalized culture.

But that doesn't mean "serious" music is hard to find in Japan. Serious jazz is arguably more popular in Japan than in America, oddly enough. Dive bars and local watering holes regularly feature excellent bands. The most reputable acts have sizeable followings and can afford to tour locally, and often regionally. Just like in other countries. And since Japan is tech-savvy, if you have trouble catching wind of these acts by traditional word of mouth, look to online reviews, recommendations, and sources like Facebook/Mixi/Twitter -- again, just like smaller bands promote themselves anywhere else. Or just walk into any record store and listen to some tracks.

Some artists I usually keep in my playlist: Soil & Pimp Sessions, Shiina Ringo and/or Tokyo Incidents, School Food Punishment, Soutaisei-Riron, Quasimode, Jazztronik, Shibasaki Kou, Natural High, Kyoto Jazz Massive, Jabberloop, Chatmonchy, Depapepe, Jill Decoy Association, Pizzicato Five, Zazen Boys, (and if you're up for a little electronic) Coltemonikha, Copter4016882, Plus Tech Squeeze Box, YMCK, Fantastic Plastic Machine, She.

If you haven't heard any of that, there's at least a decade's worth of back logs for you to work through as you get acquainted with the availability of "serious" Japanese music.

Really, the point is just not to throw out all Japanese-produced music as "fake, manufactured" j-pop.

I did qualify in my orginal comment that I was referring to J-Pop. ;-) I would not be sad if J-Pop never again entered my ears. Living here though, it's quite hard to avoid it. I have been trying for almost 20 years though!

I know most of what you refer to above and I like some of those to varying degrees. Jazz is where Japan tends to excel most at Western music, I agree.

That given, in general I prefer the style of US or European players. I hear greater risk and less self-consciousness in what they do, but that's a personal opinion and definitely a personal preference. I know people that regard technical proficiency over all else and that's fine, if that's what you like.

mightyeel

Jan 17, 2011
I think Spitz is the best Japanese band out there: they actually write their songs and play instruments, their songs are easy to learn for karaoke, and they don't throw ridiculous English words/phrases into every song for no good reason.

They actually play their instruments...WOW...what a revelation

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Each to thier own. The 5 6 7 8's (from Kill Bill, which was an awesome fucking movie). The whole barefeet thing is cool and while they aren't the best singers these girls jam and I like them.

"Walk Like Jayne Mansfield"
[youtube]Sl5ouUCaZ2c[/youtube]

"I'm Blue"
[youtube]YlPrvzPolYA[/youtube]

Why waste time on fancy lyrics? just jam out!
"Motor Cycle Go-Go-Go! "

[youtube]ohNTGAAQqQg&NR[/youtube]

"Bomb to the twist"
[youtube]eD-DsvfbatM[/youtube]

"Woo Hoo"
[youtube]LBBqOTd5qzE[/youtube]

"Dancing in the Avenue A" (5 6 7 8 Live from London)
[youtube]lnofWPuobO0[/youtube]