Lack of tech improvements in JAV

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks, Casshern2, for your review. I guess it will be better with a "real" VR headset. I have a Google Cardboard for my S3. And I have to say that I couldn't join the group of people who had that "aaaaawesome!" experience. Only in a very few I got a 3D feeling. But in most cases not. Maybe I should mention that I have the same problems with 3D on my TV or in the cinema. It's somehow very very limited. :( So I'm waiting for Oculus VR, Project Morpheus and HTC Vice. I hope the experience will be better using these. :) Otherwise I have to wait for the holodeck. ;)

Awesome! Next get one of these:
Eh, somehow lame, isn't it. Would be cool if it would have been some kind of android (no, I'm not bashing iOS or Windows, I'm talking about human shaped robots ;) ).

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Didn’t have time to redo the SBS script to incorporate more stretch in the picture, so, no update there, sorry. The only update I have is for the app I listed as “Go4D 2.2D Player Pro (needs Go4D World to launch)”. I found that it has a swipe up control for brightness that the app remembers but doesn’t apply to your phone. I have my phone set to a lower brightness to save battery, but setting the app to full brightness not only gave me a much nicer bright and vibrant picture, it kept the setting but allowed my phone to remain at a lower setting. Nice. And I’m still talking about a 720x404 SD clip, but with the brightness all the way up WOW was that a nice picture.

Also, I should probably show what gear I have (and have coming). Of course I know you get what you pay for and these are no match, I’m sure, for the Rift or probably even an actual Cardboard viewer (?) But they are nifty and so far a good way to get me excited about this technology and how I can use it to further enjoy my JAV. I found them searching eBay for “vr headset htc”

Using: FAVOLCANO | eBay $11.55 + Free Shipping

FAVOLCANO.jpg

On the way: REIM II | $17.55 + Free Shipping

Riem II-1.jpg

Reactions: CodeGeek

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Well, so far I haven't had much luck with any kind of pseudo-3D effect. I still have two other types of goggles coming, so maybe it is just the ones I have that aren't too good. They were $11.00, so...at least I'm hopeful they're just poor glasses. The other thing I've learned that I don't know why I didn't think of before (and if any of you did why didn't you tell me!) but from the VR/3D content I've seen screenshots of from Western producers the camera looks pretty locked down. There is a single non-moving POV. That has to help with the effect. The clips I've been testing were not locked, they were moving and panning and closing in. Typical camera work for this type of thing. I'll next test on something a bit more static.

I remember testing these scripts to output for red/cyan 3D glasses back in the day, and I have to say, I really could see some depth in the video. Thing is of course almost all the color was washed out and it looked very monotone. But the effect was there. I'm hoping I can somewhat recreate at least the depth a bit in full color with these scripts. Is anyone else trying anything?

The saving grace, still, (even with these goggles) is using a script to create a simple SBS video with no stretching or any attempt at 3D. When played with VLC on my HTC with the brightness at 100% it is a glorious picture. I will never be able to get that kind of image, however perceived, with the same SD video on my monitor or TVs.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
After tinkering here and there I finally came across some other literature on the types of scripts I’ve been using, and apparently they will have not-so-favorable effects on videos that have a lot of vertical motion. Guess what? This is JAV. That’s like trying to find titles with no Japanese performers. That probably explains my lack of enthusiasm thus far. Late last night I created a short clip from title that had, let’s say…some sideways or swaying motion? I tried it with the base script, so the depth applied was minimal, but I could see some depth (FINALLY!) I’ll play with the settings tonight if possible to see if I can see any increase in depth. I’ll post whatever results I get because, as I’ve been told and as evident from CodeGeek’s comments earlier, just because I don’t see much effect doesn’t mean someone else can’t either. Maybe others here will have a better experience than I’ve been having

The second set of goggles I got in (REIM) didn’t work for me (the ones I labeled earlier as on the way). The phone sits just a bit too close to the aspherical lenses, so things are a bit blurry for me. Others I let try seem to see just fine. Curse these aging eyes. I also got in another pair of viewers. Not goggles, not a head mounted display (HMD), but viewers. You have to hold it. A bummer, but it is good for quickly testing and getting the phone out to reload and I don’t have to take anything off of my head in doing so. These lenses are by far the best I’ve used, ironically.

Go4D C1-Glass

cdd4ec_f2977e7012de4f5aa7e57199fef6e083.jpg_srz_630_440_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.jpeg

Here are some screenshots from the test footage I encoded last night and as displayed by VLC for Android.

SBS

Screenshot_2015-09-03-11-42-31.png

Half SBS

Screenshot_2015-09-03-11-43-26.png

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Here is that short 13 second clip.

SBS_reverseStack.mp4
2560x720 29.970 fps 2000Kbps MP4
Side-by-Side video.

NO AUDIO

Attachments

• SBS_reverseStack.rar
    3.3 MB · Views: 488

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Here is that short 13 second clip.

SBS_reverseStack.mp4
2560x720 29.970 fps 2000Kbps MP4
Side-by-Side video.

NO AUDIO
Will try this with my Google Cardboard (also I don't expect much) and on my Philips 3D TV.

Zen10101

Aug 20, 2008
I've been trying to find a tool that can get convert regular 2D files for headtracking, and HMD Video Converter seems to be as close as it can get. The actress needs to be at a certain distance tho, otherwise she gets all distorted. Could not find any JAV at the right angle with a steady camera to try this on so far, but this (no audio too) seemed alright to me. Conversion takes quite a while too.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Hm, I've tried both movies with my Google card board. I used the AAA VR Cinema Cardboard 3D SBS. And it somehow sucked a lot. The player as well as the 3D effect. :(

Then I tried both movies on my Philips 3D TV. What should I say - the one of Zen10101 is clearly made for that Cardboard or VR glasses, but not for 3D TV. So it doesn't work at all. About that video clip of Casshern2 - it worked, but not much. Can you still remember these little pictures which showed different things based on the angle you were looking at them? Some even were some kind of "animated" if you slowly moved the angle. And somehow similar feels it to look at that video clip. And the 3D effect is really on a minimum. :(

Maybe it's my eyes or the corresponding region in my brain which doesn't work correctly - or in a compatible way. But somehow it doesn't work or the effect isn't really great. BTW: In a 3D cinema it's the same. So I guess I have to wait for the real VR thing (like the Oculus Rift, the Project Morpheus of Sony or the HTC Vive).

Zen10101

Aug 20, 2008
Yup I'm afraid mine is not a 3D clip, just meant for headtracking devices

Fisheraaa

Aug 9, 2014
Guys seriously?

If you realy can't wait , get the freaking Oculus Rift for developers , its like 350 $. I have no idea how could even think a 10 $ cardboard crap could do the job. If it was that easy , who would then buy the super expensive headsets?

Reactions: Casshern2

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Guys seriously?

If you realy can't wait , get the freaking Oculus Rift for developers , its like 350 $. I have no idea how could even think a 10 $ cardboard crap could do the job. If it was that easy , who would then buy the super expensive headsets?
I guess it's clear that the VR devices which will reach the market soon are a lot better. ;) But you maybe are able to get a glimpse of experience and the possibilities from these cheap solutions. And that's the point. :)

The developer version it's just that: A developer version. I'm really looking forward to these VR devices, but I'm not sure if I even would buy the first generation of the consumer versions.

Jul 28, 2015
Guys seriously?

the original oculus itself gathered steam because the dude figured out it was super easy to hack this stuff together for cheap. there's no reason why this tech should be expensive! at least not for anyone with a phone.

advantage of oculus and other major VR platforms is going to be support, ecosystem, etc.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Guys seriously?

For me it has everything to do with just seeing if it can be done. Obviously it will never be Rift-worthy.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
the original oculus itself gathered steam because the dude figured out it was super easy to hack this stuff together for cheap. there's no reason why this tech should be expensive! at least not for anyone with a phone.

advantage of oculus and other major VR platforms is going to be support, ecosystem, etc.
Hmmm, I think the difference between the Google Cardboard and the VR devices will be bigger then we think. Of course Oculus Rift was only possible because screens got cheaper thanks to the smartphones. But the Oculus Rift & Co. is more than just a smartphone display. It is more simply because of the PC which is working in the background which has more power than every available smartphone (also smartphones have more power than computers had not long ago). And they also have additional sensors as well as "joysticks" (don't know how they are called) which give them a huge advantage over the smartphone. I had to fight with my phone and the cardboard more than I ever had with my 3D TV. Same will be with that VR devices.

But I also think that the VR devices will be cheaper than the smartphones - at least the expensive ones. The developer version was expensive. And the first consumer devices of all manufacturers will also be expensive, but not as expensive as the developer version was. And the 2nd generation of the consumer devices will be cheaper than the 1st. But it won't be available for nothing.

Fisheraaa

Aug 9, 2014
Only downside is the wired connection that is required. But im prety sure they'll implement DLNA sooner rather than later.

pikuseru

Jul 27, 2015
Eventually they'll be able inject images and sensations and emotions into the brain directly and fully control people's brains, so even VR will become "obsolete". Personally, I will stick to regular video. Same way I still listen to music. Each medium is its own thing.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Eventually they'll be able inject images and sensations and emotions into the brain directly and fully control people's brains, so even VR will become "obsolete". Personally, I will stick to regular video. Same way I still listen to music. Each medium is its own thing.
I'm not interested in that "brain stick". ;) But VR could be nice - at least until the holodeck is developed. :D

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
About that video clip of Casshern2 - it worked, but not much.

I think the thing is (if I'm not mistaken...if I am, sorry) that at least for 3D TV they used polarization? The scripts I'm using incorporate stretch and crop techniques to simulate a 3D effect, so perhaps the glasses you're using (polarized or shutter) won't have as much effect as say the goggles I use that simply trick the brain into seeing one image using the two from a SBS encoded video with those convex lenses? But then, the Google cardboard should have some effect. I'm guessing you already messed with the distance of the lenses if possible.

Last edited: