ISO convert/editing for Mac?

crossstitch

Mar 3, 2009
After reading a few posts, I imagine i may be in the minority here (being a Mac user) but i thought I'd give it a try...

I would love to convert ISO (VOB) files to edit yet keep as much quality and above all else the 60fps rate.
Does anyone know of any editing programs/applications (free or paid for) that can do that?

I've used iMovie HD before, but it only "creates projects" @ 25 or 29.97fps.
and
I've also used toast in conjunction with quicktime pro but the process is lengthy and messy.

Hoping to find an "all-in-one" application.

Thanks in advance!

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
DVDs (and DVDISOs) come in native 25fps or 29.97fps format (depending on region). There is no 60fps DVD.

The reason you might see many people ripping DVDs into 60fps files (usually H.264 format) is because the original 29.97fps (30p) VOB files have interlaced content which can be converted into 59.97fps (60p) using a deinterlacing algorithm. There are several different algorithms capable of this, but the simplest/fastest ones look terrible, and the few with the best quality take very long to process (on a modest computer, 12 hours+ to process 1 standard-length DVD).

The algorithm I would suggest is TempGauss_MC (it produces the highest quality video I have seen from any deinterlacing algorithm), for which Vitreous has made a nice one-click encoder package called MeguIVit (click here to download). It is Windows only, but if you absolutely need to convert your DVDs into 60fps rips (and you have an Intel Mac), it may be worth it to bootcamp Windows or at least use VirtualBox (be aware that through VirtualBox, there will be a significant performance penalty).

Alternatively, you can simply use the original DVDISO or VOB files, and play them using a player such as VLC. At playback, you can change Video options to use a quick deinterlacer (from the menu: Video > De-interlace). This will provide you some of the basic deinterlace algorithms.