Instead of direct / torrent downloads why not make Streaming / youtube videos type facility?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

heart_killer

Jul 13, 2009
I dont know how much this would cost but I was wondering that instead of uploading movies on direct download / torrents and sharing them here... why not introduce the facility of directly streaming them from this site?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I can't speak for the admins or mods but I think there are a lot of benefits to the way this is done now versus a streaming site. Granted I rarely visit streaming sites but I have in the past and will in the future.

1. Streaming sites do not offer a lot of compromise when it comes to low bandwidth or site blocking.

2. The quality of streamed video is rarely as good or even comparable to ISO, mp4 or .mkv quality.

3. Streamed video just does not have the same soul as other filesharing methods. Others go to a lot of time and trouble to share what they have with others, freely, and that is the heart of filesharing. If we could only do that with food and water we would wipe out world hunger.

4. This site does not host the videos that others share, only links to the same. There is a lot to be said for that. To stream the videos they would have to host them.

lastly:
This site can barely tolerate the traffic it does have at times, streaming sites must be able to handle a ton of traffic.

I might be wrong on some points and others may find my opinions here argumentitive but this is my view on it just the same.

Reactions: 3 people

BudEWiser

Dec 24, 2008
I don't help run this place or anything, but I offer some more reasons that things might be this way.

1 Streaming sites also don't allow the uploaders to make a bit of cash like they do with the DDL file sharing hosts. The current format encourages people to share, even if they aren't exactly earning money from Akiba-Online.
2 Collectors like to collect, not just watch. A stamp collector may enjoy a trip to a stamp museum, but it would not satisfy their desire to fill a missing hole in their collection they have at home. Same deal here.
3 As Ceewan said, bandwidth requirements for that are crazy.
4 I wouldn't even want to begin to imagine the legal aspects of hosting a streaming video type site in this day and age.

Reactions: 3 people

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
the main reason, has to be the bandwidth, it needs to be huge, and most stream sites only have poor quality clip/films/videos, and most want the best quality, I know a few members will download a avi/mp4/others, and if they like it, will go for the best,

and of course there are the reason that has been stated (thank you)

Reactions: 1 person

heart_killer

Jul 13, 2009
I Thank you all for sharing the feedbacks. Now I am not from IT background so dont know nitty gritties, but I had suggested because:

1. In this age of cloud computing, most of the stuff now remains on cloud.

2. After downloading most of us would watch the movie/clips only couple of times. Cloud would save the hard disk space (not that there is not enough space on hard disk, but still)

3. There are few unfortunate people (like me) who dont have very high speed broadband connection (I can watch movie streaming at 360p/720p easily) but downloading HD movies take lots of time.

I understand the points mentioned in above posts are quite valid and I dont know what incentives there are for uploading/making tube sites.. but its just that I wanted to share my thoughts.

Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

kraidazen

Death Emperor
Feb 12, 2009
1. free cloud storage cannot hold a lot of live streaming videos especially HD versions. paid cloud storage could do that but akiba would have to pay for it

2. if i wanted to rewatch it, it's far easier to have separate copy than to depend on the internet for reruns especially on internet down days. a lot of us collect those movies as well.

3. that's just deal of the trade with areas of slow net connection. you just have to live with it.

Reactions: 2 people