I Hate Japan

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I hate Japan because I can never find shoes my size (JPN 30), the trains stop running at twelve midnight, all too many businessmen forget to brush their teeth until they get to work (breathing on me has made me dry heave on the train more than once) and KEY MONEY! Fuck I hate key money. My new place cost me 720,000 yen the first month.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Fuck I hate key money. My new place cost me 720,000 yen the first month.

Geez. Just to save other bad-at-math Americans the trouble of googling this one, 720,000 yen is nearly 8,000 US. In and around where I live (and have lived), you can actually find places where that would cover rent for an entire year! Not just shit-holes either, I mean livable places. Utilities would put you over, but still.

How late are businesses typically open in your area? If the trains stop at midnight but places stay open beyond then, I'd imagine that narrows the field of customers you're going to get at those times. I guess, depending on the person, that could be seen as a good or bad thing. Although, I've never heard a business owner say "I wish business would just fucking tank three hours before we close." :joker:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
720,000 a month, that must be a small palace you have, we can always trade places, can I also work with you, so I could earn the money to pay for it:grassdance::study::nosebleed::perfectplan:

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
720,000 a month, that must be a small palace you have

Not to speak for aquamarine, but the 720,000 sum was only for the first month. It was the combination of the rent as well as the "key money" for the apartment, which I believe is something like a deposit is here in the US (I could be wrong, though). :puzzled:

If I remember right, aqua posted some pics of his pad in the "photos from Japan" thread. Looks very nice, and has a pretty cool view. I don't know if I'd call it a "720,000 yen a month" view, though! :joker:

sora7777

Aug 4, 2008
wow an apartment that cost 720,000 yen a month ? is the apartment a nice place ? most of all is it worth it ?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Key Money is a NON REFUNDABLE deposit.

Yea, it's basically 'bribe money' for the owner or manager of the place. God damn....

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, key money is non-refundable. You're basically gifting the landlord (or owner) an extra one or two months' rent "for the privilege" of being able to rent the place. It's really a huge scam.

On top of key money, you typically need to pay an extra 1-2 months' rent as regular deposit (as a basic line of guarantee that you can meet the rent). You technically will get this back, as long as you haven't broken the contract (otherwise you can kiss that money goodbye, too). However, a large portion of the deposit is deducted at the end of your contract to pay for cleaning the place (anywhere from 50,000yen to 100,000yen or more deduction) -- even if you go to great lengths to keep the place completely clean yourself.

Add in all the various registration fees, and you're looking at paying up to 6 months' worth of rent just to move in for the first month.

In many places, all that money still doesn't include earthquake, fire, and flood insurance, sometimes some sort of property or residence tax, and often even a parking spot.
:notagain:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
This guy speaks the truth.

harding

Jan 6, 2008
For me it would be the North Americans in Japan whom have occasionally taken the edge off my enjoyment of what is otherwise a beautiful country.

Making it worse is that just about every Japanese I meet immediately assumes I'm also from N. America (usually the States). I waste no time in putting them right on that one.

Almost without exception they've looked down with a typically colonial, paternalistic and condescending attitude to the Japanese. Worse still are the numerous N. American college brats who travel to Japan to 'teach' and overstay their welcome. Japan becomes something akin to a playground. They generally despise others from their peers group who look to follow in their wake as somehow unworthy of what they themselves have acheived.

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
Is it really that bad to rent a apartment in Japan X.x...

I heard from 2 months worth of rent for this "bribe money" but... you most likely dont pay 300k yen a month for that apartment...

Does that "bribe money" is a overall accepted way.. all over Japan?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Does that "bribe money" is a overall accepted way.. all over Japan?

Yes, but you can occasionally find apartments that have "0yen key money" and "no deposit". The catch is that those apartments are typically in much older condition, far from public transportation (or local businesses), or any other inconvenience that would normally deter people from choosing it.

sora7777

Aug 4, 2008
I was wondering is living in a bad conditioned and cheap apartments dangerous or like not safe ?

Sorry for asking this ... whats Key Money ?

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
Geez. Just to save other bad-at-math Americans the trouble of googling this one, 720,000 yen is nearly 8,000 US. In and around where I live (and have lived), you can actually find places where that would cover rent for an entire year! Not just shit-holes either, I mean livable places. Utilities would put you over, but still.

Blimey... its as bad as England for heavens sake.
Well can't complain now.

Your key deposit pays my rent, internet Fiberlan and electrical/water/garbage/cleaning and most other things for nearly 2 years in my place. :exhausted:

Edit: Then again I live in a town half the size of Yoichi /Hokkaido approx. 11,000 km away from Tokyo so the commuting would run up the price a bit. Guess there is no chance you would trade me Aquamarine :)

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
I was wondering is living in a bad conditioned and cheap apartments dangerous or like not safe ?
Depends on the location. Generally it's not bad in terms of personal safety. But your unit might not have any amenities that make day-to-day living more comfortable. For instance, some cheap places don't offer air conditioners or heaters, space for a proper kitchen (only for a half-height fridge and 1 single stove), old flooring or walls (eg: rotting wood). Some places might not have a spot for a washing machine. And in urban areas, some tiny places might not even include a bathtub or shower (you have to go to public bath houses everyday).

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
Swt... jav.seekers comment made me speechless... for a sec xD...

~Thanks Guy for the answer.:hi:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
here's a thought....

LEAVE THEN...

your not even japanese.... go back to your own country...

Haha thanks, that gave me a chuckle :)

*edit & addition below*

Was just outside walking around a series of matsuri's that were going around the base of my building and someone asked me how much for a copy of the photo I just took of him and his kid (sitting on his dad's shoulders) to which I replied, only 6,000 yen for an A4 size print, he handed the cash over to me and I got his card.

That's why I don't leave Japan.

How do you say "Eat Dick" in java.queefers language?

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
Nice ^^.

But A4 Picture for 6000Yen, with the quality of you'r Pics is way too Cheap xD~

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
God damnit Softer...

OK fine, for fucks sake. You make your way to Japan and I'll buy you a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.