English teaching in Japan. Great time or Complete Nightmare???

Oct 6, 2007
I've taught in Korea and trust me, you can make some serious money there, up to 60,000W/hour. Considering how dirt cheap it is for clothing and food all you really need to worry about is rent. I will be going back in a couple years for good and living there while teaching English. I actually find teaching to be quite enjoyable and I like knowing that there is a slim possibility I will change a kid's life (if they chose to use English in their future career).

suzukij

Feb 11, 2009
I'll add my 2 cents. Yes, English is a good way to get your foot in the door economically in Japan. Better than in the US where teaching English is nothing important, not to mention the US economy sucks right now. Also, unless you are in the countryside, you don't need a car. Then you've got national insuranance, taxes are low, and some companies provide housing.

As a long-term investment it is not recommended. It is like fast food. My goal is JLPT 1 and then translation, which can pay a lot more. In the meantime, I've worked at several eikaiwa companies and I believe that toilet paper may have greater value in most of the cases. Most Japanese have no business being in the English business, based on my experiences. Their English (in)competence is exceeded by their professional incompetence. And you must be careful with contracts. It doesn't seem like 2 of my companies know what the Labor Standard Act is, or think you will not know or care. My last company apparently has refused to pay my last paycheck though I gave notice. I say 'apparently' because Japanese law required that they pay the 7th, though they said they would pay the 10th, the normal paydate. However, that was a Saturday. Monday is a holiday, so I'll give them until Tuesday before I contact the General Union.

My advice is to whoever wants to come over is to use teaching English as a supplement to being a student or as a stepping stone if you plan on living here.

jav.seeker

Oct 19, 2009
Lets say since I really don't care about being a educator or whatnot and not looking to add anything to my resume... But would like to stay in Japan for a year and be able to just make enough to put a roof over my head... Is there any under the table job that can ge had...? I just want to make enough to put a roof under my head while I hang out in Japan for a year

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Unless you already have connections, don't bother looking for anything under the table.

In order to work in Japan you need an appropriate work visa, which accordingly requires a sponsor (usually the company that hires you, or someone you know professionally). Without the visa, you can only enter Japan as a visitor, which prohibits work, and can only stay up to 90 days.

People have gotten away with under the table jobs on their visitor visas (or student visas), such as working at ex-pat bars or some part time jobs, but it's very risky. In addition, trying to get an apartment, cellphone, or anything that requires a contract, will require documents (first and foremost your foreigner ID card) which will state your visa status.

It is fully possible for you to enter Japan with a visitor visa, then secure a job and transfer it to a legal work visa while in Japan. But you will need to know where to look for work and how to do the interviews, etc -- which greatly depends on connections. Otherwise your best bet, without any significant professional connections, is to apply from home with an English dispatch (JET, Interac, etc) or eikaiwa company (GEOS, ECC, etc).

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Screw it. It's 1:11am and I'm tired. I'll let the rest of you fellas act on my behalf.

Asvaldr

北斗神拳伝承者
Jun 18, 2009
Anyone who is considering teaching English in Japan as a basis to earn lots of money and make a nest egg is dreaming. As most people have already stated, good luck trying to make a living off of an English teacher wage. I live in Shizuoka where it's much cheaper than Tokyo and I'm just barely enjoying a comfortable life. The cost of living here is very expensive. The first month alone will cost you $3-4K + (Canadian funds for me, maybe a fraction less for an American).

Again, as most people have said already, if you seriously want to live in Japan and enjoy life here, you will need native level (or close to) Japanese in order to get a good job and make a decent wage. Better yet, get a third language under yer belt and work for some company that would require your language skills for interpreting or translation. People who vie for a career in English teaching at a conversation school lack ambition and a sense of reality. You're better off working in your own country where you speak the language (fluently) and know people.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Most people assume that money is the only thing relevant to how comfortable your life in Japan is, under a position as an English teacher.

One way or another, your pay will not be stellar, but pretty much all respectable companies will disclose your payments in full before you sign the contract -- and it's usually enough to pay for rent and keep you decently fed, with a little extra for leisure a few times a month. If you choose to travel extensively, buy a car, go shopping all the time, etc, then that is of course your own financial responsibility. But the point is you can survive as long as you have a little bit of financial dilligence.

However, the thing that is most understated is your actual quality of life per yen earned. Some teachers are placed in positions where they have to commute extensively to up to a dozen different schools. Since they interact with each school so infrequently, they have almost no chance of building a working relationship with fellow teachers, meaning they are easily ostracized or are left to handle classes on their own. If you are placed in such a position, you may not find it rewarding at all if you are left to manage the entire English cirriculum across a dozen schools and very little of your efforts are recognized.

On the flip side, some teachers have great placements between just 1~3 schools, and are able to build good working relationships with their colleagues. They don't have to work very much (since they have fewer schools/classes to manage), and their efforts are generally better recognized. Plus better relationships gives you more chances to be invited to social events and such. So despite earning the same amount of money, such teachers will probably find their time invested much more rewarding.

Since placement is really luck of the draw, it is impossible to know for sure whether you will find teaching English in Japan worthwhile or not. The only thing you can do is research as best as you can what placements will realistically be available, and decide which of those placements you are realistically willing to accept.

jav.seeker

Oct 19, 2009
If there are so many english classes in Japan... how come most people don't know English..

Is anyone there actually learning english, cause most japanese don't even speak english...

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
jav.seeker: it's kind of like how Canadian school children must take French classes once per week throughout most provinces until grade 9, yet very few of us remember ANY french. I can say "Shut your hat" and "Cheese Omlette" in French and that's about it.

Kind of like how most of you yanks can't even put together a full cognitive sentence.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
Kind of like how most of you yanks can't even put together a full cognitive sentence.

that must be the reason why many people keep telling me that my english is good... maybe they mean good compared to their :puzzled:
(kind of joking, but not completely)

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
No no, I prefer th term cognitive ;) It adds to those in the know.

vantruongvu

Apr 13, 2008
I think if you guy have a ability teaching English, you can teach in many international-english-school of Japan, where teach english from easy to hard, TOEFL, TOIC, ....if you are foreigner from American , England, Canada. It good for you, because this kink of school need foreign teacher, salary of foreign teacher is high because school-fee is high. But you must have a good ability in teaching English and require a bachelor dgree of teaching or higher. if you just teach private , less money is certainly. I think if you have ability teaching English, you will not regret.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I disagree. Private lessons net you much much much more than if you teach at a school. 6000 yen per hour is the average price for inexperienced teachers for a private and anytime I do them, I charge almost double. Take six thousand yen and multiply by none. Then take that days pay and do it for twenty five days a month. How's that compare with the 250,000 yen you'd make as a base salary. It's a small price compared to big English schools. If you're good then it's not overly hard to do this. If you're not good, then why are you still teaching??

vantruongvu

Apr 13, 2008
yes, i agree. private lessons one on one is much more. but how can you teach english private for japanese if you don't know japanese? if you only speak english you teach at english-speaking class and in high-level.

Yobuita

Aug 31, 2009
Just wanted to say that you don't need a degree or diploma to get a visa to teach English in Japan.

Oct 6, 2007
Just wanted to say that you don't need a degree or diploma to get a visa to teach English in Japan.

You don't as long as you are under 30 years of age but if you want to make decent money you need a bachelors degree and to be TESOL certified.