I Hate Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Depends on the location. Generally it's not bad in terms of personal safety. But your unit might not have any amenities that make day-to-day living more comfortable. For instance, some cheap places don't offer air conditioners or heaters, space for a proper kitchen (only for a half-height fridge and 1 single stove), old flooring or walls (eg: rotting wood). Some places might not have a spot for a washing machine. And in urban areas, some tiny places might not even include a bathtub or shower (you have to go to public bath houses everyday).

well that has left me gob-smacked, I thought everywhere in Japan was hi-tech and modern, I suppose it like everywhere else, there is always old buildings ready to be demolished, thank you for the insight

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
I will remember my "free beer" with you when i get there.
But that could take me a year~ (At the end of my job training, finals comming :scared:)

~~
Here, where i live (behind the Moon)~
A Photoshot from an "not-so-good-and-not-so-talented" Photograph cost's around 10 to 20 Dollar! ...and a Poster from that you can count triple the prize (cheap) in xD.
When your A4 the same size is as our#e A4.

Ps: Take that t out of the Name. Or someone starts to call me Softie next. :tea: (Alteast better than Sofie.. XD)

---
Too stay a littel bit on topic~
What i hate about Japan:
- Highprized meat!
- ehh... dunno xD need my meat!
- ahh thateveryone try's to talk to you in you'r "native" langauge.. (I'm not american, so why do you start bashing me with that~)

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
If I could I would go to japan, but I do not speak Japanese

I do not see why not speaking Japanese, is a problem when going to Japan, if you wanted to go that badly. You can always learn, while planing your trip.
I myself would love to go as well, but I do not have enough money at the moment, so hopefully next year I will able to go

I have been to several countries around where I do not speak the national tongue, so if you can afford it, go while you got the chance

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
Yes, key money is non-refundable. You're basically gifting the landlord (or owner) an extra one or two months' rent "for the privilege" of being able to rent the place. It's really a huge scam.

On top of key money, you typically need to pay an extra 1-2 months' rent as regular deposit (as a basic line of guarantee that you can meet the rent). You technically will get this back, as long as you haven't broken the contract (otherwise you can kiss that money goodbye, too). However, a large portion of the deposit is deducted at the end of your contract to pay for cleaning the place (anywhere from 50,000yen to 100,000yen or more deduction) -- even if you go to great lengths to keep the place completely clean yourself.

Add in all the various registration fees, and you're looking at paying up to 6 months' worth of rent just to move in for the first month.

In many places, all that money still doesn't include earthquake, fire, and flood insurance, sometimes some sort of property or residence tax, and often even a parking spot.
:notagain:

Capitalism At Its Finest, still a lot better than living in NORTH KOREA :pandalaugh:

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
my place is a Living/Dining Kitchen and 2 room (2LDK in japan) and i pay just over 500US a month for rent, water and 2 parking spaces. i think i paid 2 months bond, 1 month in advance and 1 month as a 'fee' to the realtor. add in a key change and some cleaning and i think the initial month was about 250,000 (2,500US). it isnt state of the art but is very liveable (its about 15 years old i think). it is on the outskirts of a smaller town but is by no means inconvenient. i dont use trains (the last train being at 12am is something i also think is absolutely ridiculous, but only when i go to tokyo).

other than the commonplace discrimination and stereotypes i dont think i hate japan.

oh, and im a size......about 28cm, so i can find my size most of the time.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Most shoe stores around Ueno/Asakusa cap off at 28 and me being a 30/31 means I need to go hunting anytime I want a new set of kicks.

As for price, I envy your rent. I'm in a good sized place but since I'm somewhat downtown, I am paying 156,000 a month. So add in the three months key money, deposite, cleaning, transfer and agency money (through JACCS), it was a fucking lot

RogerMoore

Apr 8, 2011
Only places that have relatively cheap rent or are not in central Tokyo charge key money these days. The key is to negotiate. It's a renter's market right now. Go to an agent that will introduce places that have potential to negotiate no key money. I negotiated for no key money and only two months deposit on a place in Shiroganedai. It wasn't that difficult.

The trains stop running at midnight because of a traditional deal with the taxi companies and to encourgae people to go home earlier and not drink all night. You seem to have lived here for some time so you will know that Tokyo is anything but a 24-hour city except for the traditional night-life areas such as Shinjuku, Shibuya and Roppongi.

You can find your shoe size at Isetan Men's in Shinjuku. Are you sure your size is 30cm though? Looking at the many pics you post of yourself in the pictures thread, you don't seem that tall and your legs are anything but long... Maybe you have disproportionately big feet? Anyway, Isetan Men's can take care of you.

I hate Japan because I can never find shoes my size (JPN 30), the trains stop running at twelve midnight, all too many businessmen forget to brush their teeth until they get to work (breathing on me has made me dry heave on the train more than once) and KEY MONEY! Fuck I hate key money. My new place cost me 720,000 yen the first month.

RogerMoore

Apr 8, 2011
When I rented my place in Shiroganedai it was brand new, 108 square meters and I paid no key money. Many friends in the same general location have also negotiated no key money. Deposit is 2 months rent but that is refundable if there is no damage above accepted wear and tear.

Yes, but you can occasionally find apartments that have "0yen key money" and "no deposit". The catch is that those apartments are typically in much older condition, far from public transportation (or local businesses), or any other inconvenience that would normally deter people from choosing it.

RogerMoore

Apr 8, 2011
The conditions on the deduction from the deposit is something you need to have written into the contract BEFORE you move in. Any agent worth his licence will know how to do that. The owner won't like it but they will eventually agree in what is now a city with low occupancy on rental properties. It needs to state that normal wear and tear is acceptable. This means that no cleaning fee can be deducted unless there are actual stains.

I pay an extra 45,000 a month for a parking spot. If you can't accept that in a city with limited space like Tokyo, you're in the wrong country... Some places will include parking but it is actually built into the rent and the contract will reveal that.

Yes, key money is non-refundable. You're basically gifting the landlord (or owner) an extra one or two months' rent "for the privilege" of being able to rent the place. It's really a huge scam.

On top of key money, you typically need to pay an extra 1-2 months' rent as regular deposit (as a basic line of guarantee that you can meet the rent). You technically will get this back, as long as you haven't broken the contract (otherwise you can kiss that money goodbye, too). However, a large portion of the deposit is deducted at the end of your contract to pay for cleaning the place (anywhere from 50,000yen to 100,000yen or more deduction) -- even if you go to great lengths to keep the place completely clean yourself.

Add in all the various registration fees, and you're looking at paying up to 6 months' worth of rent just to move in for the first month.

In many places, all that money still doesn't include earthquake, fire, and flood insurance, sometimes some sort of property or residence tax, and often even a parking spot.
:notagain:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Rather than give you what you deserve for being a troll, why not consider adding something to the topic at hand?

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
then why don't you leave Japan and go back to your country if you hate there

@aquamarine
considering the title you gave this thread, it seems a very reasonable question to me. not that i have any interest in proposing this question to you but just that i dont feel that any person fond of japan, especially any conceivably japanese person, reading the posts in this thread should be shot down as a troll for suggesting that you smoke a cock or two yourself in defense of their beloved country. personally, i think your choice of words make you sound like a hater.
or does saying that make me "deserve it"?

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
If I remember correctly, this thread was created by everyone's favourite member, together with one "I love Japan" thread. This went now far beyond the original joke.

I think we got enough hate for now. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.