Faster, new look, new features

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Whoops, I didn't mean to set it as default.

Back to blue default.

Probably gonna keep this blue as default even if other skins are added in the future.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
The site is still akiba-online.com, the IP address is only a stopgap measure until all the worldwide DNS servers have stopped associating the domain with the old server.

For most people, this has already happened. For the rest, it shouldn't be more than a day at the most.

Ah, I see, heh, wasn't really sure about that, all good for me there.

Although the speed went back to it's old speeds at the moment, hope it's only because it's the weekend or because of the 300 guests I saw while I was re-updating bookmarks.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
The general speed seems to be same if not worse than before. :giveup:

DarthXeven

Sithlord
Oct 25, 2007
...speed is the same but managing attachments don't hang as bad as it used to.......well, in my case that is...

Leechasd

Eye of The Beholder
Nov 16, 2006
Response is abit faster but not so noticeable to be classified as an improvment. Chompy you are you just using your new computer as the server head or did you actually upgrade the provder server line? I mean if you paid for an upgrade, you'd expect to see atleast a 40% improvement if not more.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Nope. It's significantly faster. Faster line, faster server (sempron vs. dual xeon). The real killer is, more traffic. About twice as much actually. Almost all of them downloading attachments. And on average people are hanging around more than twice as long (IP/pageviews)

But it _is_ faster, and it's not crashed once (except when I manually closed the internet service to tweak a server function)

Add to that the data center is having network issues (today) and I can't even log into the server. *sigh*

D.W.

The Heavy Metal Engineer
Dec 11, 2007
Could've Sworn I posted on here, oh well

Nice I guess, staying with the original layout, everything else looked lame, speed is pretty normal I suppose.

Nipponosaurus Rex

Mayor of Loch Ness
Apr 4, 2007
Isn't there a way to at least reduce unnessesary traffic, f.i. smaller thumbnails, max. number of pics/reply or making the forum "members only" (537 guests vs. 157 members online now !)
Loading a page with 10 replies and 95 thumbnails at the time I type this takes over 8 minutes (with a fast internet connection) which doesn't make browsing the picture threads a very pleasant event.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Actually about an hour ago I disabled downloading attachments for non-members as a temporary measure. I am not comfortable with the idea of shutting the forum off completely though.

The server can comfortably deal with 500-550 people online, but any more and it severely impacts performance.

This traffic spike will go away by itself, someone somewhere probably hotlinked a file on the forum on a trafficked site.

And as the lady says: "I can decide what I give, but it's not up to me what I'm given"

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Isn't there a way to at least reduce unnessesary traffic, f.i. smaller thumbnails, max. number of pics/reply or making the forum "members only" (537 guests vs. 157 members online now !)
Loading a page with 10 replies and 95 thumbnails at the time I type this takes over 8 minutes (with a fast internet connection) which doesn't make browsing the picture threads a very pleasant event.

I second this.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
The server can comfortably deal with 500-550 people online, but any more and it severely impacts performance.

Is there no way to change that? It sounds like quite a low number.

Considering:
2ccp6ck.jpg

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Currently looking into maximising performance on the current server. If we do upgrade again, it won't be for another 2 months at least.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
28gt6k1.jpg

It took me this long to load the main page today...

:constipation:

Sorry to sound like a Victor Meldrew. It's just frustrating.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Well that's just the worst it's been.

It must just depend on how many people are here at once. Sometimes, there's loads of room to move around.

Next time I come to the door and see the house is full, I'll just wait outside for a while, or go away and try later when some of the party crashers have fucked off.

dayvy

Jun 25, 2008
Thanks a lot man.
But I can't to connect there:dozingoff: