Odd bug in certain browsers

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
I don't have much time right now so I'm not going to browse the entire forum to see if this bug was reported already. I quickly went down the first page and didn't see it.

Certain browsers show a different menu bar at the top than others. AFAIK the normal one is supposed to have:
User CP/Home/Torrents/Downloads/Albums/Tags/Clubs/IRC/FAQ/Members List/Calendar/New Posts/Search/Quick Links/Forum Jump/Log out

This is the menu bar I get when using Firefox. I think Chrome used to be one of the ones with a different menu but I haven't noticed it lately.

Now, when I visit the site in Midori (Linux only browser, which, btw, scores a higher Acid3 test rating than Firefox), I get a different menu bar:
User CP/Home/Torrents/Downloads/Albums/Tags/Clubs/IRC/FAQ/Members List/Calendar/Search/New Posts/Mark Forums Read

In bold are the ones that are different. In particular, I find it extremely difficult to navigate the site when the menu bar does not include a Forum Jump option. I usually use Chrome when I'm not on my Linux machine (which I use as a server, so I hardly ever do anyway) so this problem doesn't usually affect me.

I have to wonder what could cause this error though. It's as if it's some kind of defense mechanism gone awry. If it's not that, I can only assume it was intentionally made that way for some reason...

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
It should actually include the Search link as well (one is a dropdown, one is a hard-link).

In most widely-used browsers (Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari), the forum uses javascript to generate dropdown menus for Search, Quick Links, and Forum Jump.

Because of the inconsistency of HTML standards employed across the major browsers, most sites have to write multiple sets of code (typically one for IE, and one for Mozilla/Webkit). There is usually some JS included to load the appropriate set of code depending on which browser is loading the site. It may simply be that the AO forum software code does not recognize Midori (or has not been coded to fall back on a default javascript code).

The same code (to generate dropdown menus) is used for Forum Tools and Search this Forum links in forum view, and Thread Tools and Search this Thread in thread view.

Without loading the code, the AO forum software is probably just falling back on a single hard link rather than javascript-based dropdown menu.

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
^ That was an interesting read, thank you.

It should actually include the Search link as well (one is a dropdown, one is a hard-link).

In most widely-used browsers (Firefox, IE, Chrome, Safari), the forum uses javascript to generate dropdown menus for Search, Quick Links, and Forum Jump.

Because of the inconsistency of HTML standards employed across the major browsers, most sites have to write multiple sets of code (typically one for IE, and one for Mozilla/Webkit). There is usually some JS included to load the appropriate set of code depending on which browser is loading the site. It may simply be that the AO forum software code does not recognize Midori (or has not been coded to fall back on a default javascript code).

The same code (to generate dropdown menus) is used for Forum Tools and Search this Forum links in forum view, and Thread Tools and Search this Thread in thread view.

Without loading the code, the AO forum software is probably just falling back on a single hard link rather than javascript-based dropdown menu.

The search link is there (which is why it's in the list), but I didn't see if it was a drop-down or link, if that's what you meant. Otherwise, that explanation makes a lot of sense. Midori is a relatively uncommon browser, which also explains a lot.