Okay, now what the f*ck is this?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
I've heard of others having trouble with the ads on this forum, though it's never been a problem for me. But late Saturday afternoon Avast started throwing out this warning message EVERY TIME I click a link on the board.
When I tell it to abort connection I have to do it three times, then it blocks all of the ads EXCEPT for the one for Oron.
Interestingly, right clicking the space where the blocked ads would be and selecting Properties shows a creation date of 10/01, whereas the Oron ad shows 9/6. Hmmmm . . . . :puzzled:
This happens with FOUR different browsers, IE8, Firefox, Chrome and Opera.
This is what Avast's log says:
"JS:ScriptIP-inf [Trj]" has been found in "http://www.fhserve.com/www/delivery/afr.php?zoneid=45&cb=INSERT_RANDOM_NUMBER_HERE"

WTF is trying to infect my computer and why is it allowed on here?

attachment.php

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Yours is the second report from an Avast user about fhserve.com. This is probably a false positive, but I'll forward this to chompy and he'll take a closer look.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Yikes! Not cool. :scared:

Have you tried using noscript? I know it can be a hassle for some, but it works pretty well. :eek:k:

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
Have you tried using noscript? I know it can be a hassle for some, but it works pretty well. :eek:k:

I don't normally use Firefox to browse this site lowleg, but I do have NoScript installed for it, yet even when I tell it to block all scripts from AO it does nothing. The ads are still there, and Avast still gives me the warning message.

Edit: okay, a little tweaking with NoScript and I can browse the forum without Avast shrieking every time I open a page. However with scripts turned off I'm not sure yet how that will affect my ability to post if I want to upload something.
It would be nice if someone could come up with an answer about this.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
There is a connection to Fhserve when I come here, I can verify that, (and I surf here without javascript). I have noticed it viewing the Tor network. It has to do with the ads and your avast warning may be about a tracking cookie, (but that is just a guess). I believe they are owned by LeaseWeb. This link should give you more of an idea of what is going on:

http://w3techs.com/sites/info/fhserve.com

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
Edit: okay, a little tweaking with NoScript and I can browse the forum without Avast shrieking every time I open a page. However with scripts turned off I'm not sure yet how that will affect my ability to post if I want to upload something.
It would be nice if someone could come up with an answer about this.

I probably should have mentioned that I also use adblock, too.

Without scripts, posting is a bit different. You can't click smileys or font options, so If you want to insert a link or bold some text you have to do it manually with brackets and such.

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
Without scripts, posting is a bit different. You can't click smileys or font options, so If you want to insert a link or bold some text you have to do it manually with brackets and such.

Yes, apparently so. Doesn't exactly encourage contributions, does it?
But then it's obvious it's not just me having this issue. It's not the first time either that the ads on this site have wreaked havoc with someone's system. Several people have reported this problem before.
Again, hopefully someone can provide some answers. :please:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I'm 99% sure it's a false positive (evidence). Avast! is notoriously bad in this regard. The ad hosting guy has been contacted so he can fix it.

Block fhserve.com in your firewall or hosts file if you don't like the popup annoyance.

scorres

Hetero-sapien
Apr 12, 2009
ab

I use FF 7.0.1 and adblock. It stopped all three attempts.
My AV was not alerted.

lowleg! highlight your text to be boldified,
and hit ctrl+b

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
Now when I enter the url for one of the ads that is currently blocked, and run it through that link that Rollyco posted it comes back infected.
Anyone else get the same result? :study:

Edit: nevermind, editing the hosts file did the trick. The big bad ads went away. Thanks Rollyco!

hit_parader

Jan 13, 2008
I'm not as technically savvy as many of you here in terms of security, but I do know that I just had to completely reimage my PC because of a virus that I picked up here. It started Saturday (USA time zone) when I was browsing the forum. All of a sudden IE went blank and something called Babylon was installing. Then one of those rogue anti-virus programs took over and slowed my PC to a crawl. I had to operate in Safe Mode and Sunday I did a partial restore...back to a configuration from a couple days earlier. Everything was fine and the malware was gone...until Monday morning. I was browsing here again and the same thing happened. This time I did a full reimage.

I've had scripts manually disabled ever since scorres showed me how to do this a while back. I never had a problem until now. This is very destructive, whatever it is. I don't even recall the name of the rogue software anymore. It doesn't matter, I only know it sucked.

HP

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
It doesn't matter, I only know it sucked.

I feel ya bro.

Switch to Firefox and install the add-on No-script. IE, still the most common browser, is the target of many tailor made viruses. I also suggest installing Spybot which well help protect your browser and your system from malware. I don't get hit with viruses or malware very often, (maybe once a year and I download a lot), but I remember what it was like.