External Seagate 2TB Slim Hard-Drive faint clicking/grinding noise when working/reading.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
So, I've had this HDD for around about 3 months. Whenever I am using this particular drive (say watching a particular JAV from it.) I can hear a very faint clicking/grinding noise coming from inside of it. (When I put my ear up close to the HDD) Is this just the drive reading? None of my other external drives do this. But hence 3 months later and it hasn't failed on me...I'm sure it's not too much of an issue?

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
I've had 2 Seagate external drives, a 750GB and a 1 TB, for several years and they were the noisiest drives I've ever heard, and they always ran hot. I didn't use them a lot mostly back up, but I did watch videos off of them from time to time. It always kind of worried me, but they haven't had any problems yet.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
If a harddrive starts to make strange noises (like clicks or other noises) I would be careful. Okay, some HDDs are louder than others (reminds me of these IBM drives back then which sometimes sound more like a matrix printer). But if they start making these noises not right from the start...
Did you try some test programs? How about the SMART values? They are also a good indicator, especially if they number of unused spare sectors is getting down.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
lately, Seagate quality has suffered.. I suspect the rapid changes in "aerial density" (Packing data tighter and tighter) may be the culprit.
Lucky for me, the Seagate warehouse is 3 miles south of my place.. My last exchange was a 1.5 TB external, and they replaced it with a 2.0..
If you search carefully, you can fine NAS rated hard drives, designed for hard duty.. Same as Server rated hardware..

fruxano

Nov 1, 2008
Since there are moving parts inside, it's not unusual to hear some noise during play.
Different drives have different enclosures so it's not surprising either that some are quieter than others.

I'd watch out though if you actually notice performance deterioration and if you have files on it that you can't lose, better make some back-ups fast. :)

kunoichi

Occasional Visitor
Mar 26, 2007
If the drive is making a continuous repeating clicking sound all the time then it's time to start making backups, some data may already be unreadable.

As someone mentioned, it could be worth to at least check the S.M.A.R.T status of the disk with some tool, if you are on windows I can recommend CrystalDiskInfo or Speccy, look here for other options:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_S.M.A.R.T._tools