External Hard-Drive with 2TB of JAVs

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
So my external hardrive with 2TB of JAVs is unable to load on my computer...

Looking for some insight of what or why that is.

Meaning my computer no longer can detect the external Seagate Slim Harddrive...

I see the light on...

Any thoughts?

Restrepo

Jul 7, 2015
Are you using the same port to 'plug it in' as you always do? I've noticed for whatever reason with my older external that it runs slower / may not run at all if I don't use the same port I tended to use over time.

If you are / if that doesn't help, I also noticed that mine had a hard time running when it was nearly full to the brim. Perhaps try it on another port OR perhaps better still, plug it into another computer. If it loads on the other device try a basic repair and/or delete a few files if it's nearly full.

If none of this works let know, I've had some trouble with my old external as well. It's possible, though by no means at all certain, that your device is aging badly, if you start feeling like it's not getting better, save the files you value most on another external ASAP. I've almost lost my videos to a shit external before. Sucks.

shaonthemoon

Jun 3, 2013
Try to connect it on different computer, if it recognizes then we know this is your computers fault.

If it is your computer's fault, there are two things. Your computer usb drivers are broken or you computer cannot load drivers quickly , either cases you need to repair os.

If it is not your computer's fault.
It is usual that usb cables wear out, so you should buy a new HDD usb cable, it works in most cases.
Even then if it doesn't work then I am afraid your HD has gone broken,

loleechero

Sep 30, 2007
1. plug other computer/laptop
2. try other cable
3. disassemble HDD and put it on other HDD case (you can buy for $5-$10)
4. connect it for 5-10 min, reconnect several times.
5. If clicking is it broken, but efforts can be made to save those JAV. See for yourself if the effort are worth it (money, time, risk, etc.)

Elldallan

Jan 19, 2013
Rather than connecting it to a separate USB enclosure I'd recommend popping your computer(if it's a stationary one) and connecting it "directly".
USB adds another layer of potential complications, it's better to connect it as an internal drive if you can, even if it's only temporary.

If you get it to boot at all that way make sure to run a S.M.A.R.T test.
If it boots but fails smart: Backup everything on the drive(because it's going to fail very soon).
If it passes S.M.A.R.T and boots: Install SpeedFan and run their S.M.A.R.T test. They have a database where they compare the S.M.A.R.T values to other drives of the same make and model to see if you're showing any signs of pre-fail warnings.
If you get any such warnings it'll give you a rough severity summary, consider replacing the drive if they recommend it and the data on it is valuable to you.

Another word of warning, external hard drive enclosures for mechanical drives tends to run quite a bit hotter than recommended and tend to shorten the lifetime of the drive, especially slimline models(less space, less air)
So while they're useful for mobility if you're mostly using it for "cold storage" you're better off using an internal drive.

Reactions: CoolKevin

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
So what's weird is there was no symptom or signal at all that my external hard drive was failing. It was running perfectly well. It's just the next day, it's suddenly no longer able to be read by my computer.

Of all hard drive problems, is this the worse one, or is this probably the best problem of all the problems to have?

Elldallan

Jan 19, 2013
So what's weird is there was no symptom or signal at all that my external hard drive was failing. It was running perfectly well. It's just the next day, it's suddenly no longer able to be read by my computer.

Of all hard drive problems, is this the worse one, or is this probably the best problem of all the problems to have?
It could be any number of things, hard to tell. If there was no scratching/hissing/clicking/clonking that probably means that the platters themselves are unharmed, so the data might still be intact.
But you're nowhere closer to a fix, it could be any number of things, some of which are very expensive.
  • The USB interface(just remove the USB enclosure and pop the drive into a computer like a regular internal drive) - This is the least expensive error
  • The PCB(Printed Circuit Board) could have broken(You're basically screwed unless you can get a new PCB of the exact make and model and replace it) - This essentially costs the same as a new drive, or if you're lucky a used one, and that is if you know how to fiddle with soldering etc.
  • The spindle engine could be broken(you're screwed unless u can send it to a clean lab to be opened and the data saved) - This is where it gets really expensive it'll cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars depending on the issue.
  • Something could have broken with the drive head mechanism(again, you're screwed unless you can send it to a clean lab) - Same as above.
The best possible outcome is if it's just the USB interface that's broken. Otherwise you'd probably have been better off with an error that caused physical damage to the platter but where the drive is otherwise still readable, you could save some or most of the data at low cost(get a new drive and clone the data). But past any of those it's not going to be worth it unless it's something really important, like financial stuff, bitcoins, family photos etc. Because you're going to have to send it off to a lab and they'll charge you 200-300 just to look at it regardless of whether they can fix it or not.

So my best guess/advice would be to test it in a regular computer(as per my previous post). If it still won't boot, toss the drive, it's not gonna be worth the costs just for some JAV. Unless you happen to have an identical PCB and are familiar with a soldering iron, in which case try replacing the PCB. Otherwise just accept your losses, get a new drive and redownload what you can find again.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
If you're using Windows try looking in Disk Management. Internet says if you see it listed try to assign it to another drive letter. If all seems lost and you have nothing left to lose, I think it was suggested above somewhere. ..CAREFULLY pry open the casing and remove the HDD. Ask if you know anyone with a drive caddy to see if you can read your files. I did that with an old 1TB WD HDD Book once. I'm still using that drive in a caddy.

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
So,
The things I did, I know for sure and confirmed:

1. Tried switching different USB cable, did not work
2. Tried using different USB port, did not work
3. The computer does not detect it, not does it show up in any Drive or Disk Management, etc
4. The power lights on whenever I connect it to my computer
5. Did not work on another computer
6. Took out the HHD and put it in another case enclosure and did not work.

What do you think is the problem? is the hard drive fried? I live in a pretty cold, windy environment, so I doubt it is due to heat or overheating... maybe I'm wrong.

I did not drop it whatsoever. It just been lying at the same location.

If all else fails, what can I do to recover all that 2 TB of files...

I heard it cost $1000 to recover...

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Hard drives are nothing but a small DC motor turning one or more small discs.

Even the best DC motors wear out over time..

Pay to recover? Not in this lifetime..

Those are MY Jr Idols..

Reactions: Casshern2

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I totally agree to @WillEater. I also thought one time I lost my whole bunch of files - not only JAV, but everything - because the RAID 5 in my NAS failed (2 discs at the same time). Now I use RAID 6 (means I have less space available, but it's more save) and I do more or less regularly backups on some USB drives. I don't want that to happen every again also I lost only a few JAV movies in the end and were even able to identify them and get them back again.

Elldallan

Jan 19, 2013
$1000 plus whoever recovers it sees what's on it if that's any issue for you. The overheating would be from use, not so much environment in your case I would think.

Aye like Casshern2 says the overheating would be from use, the heat from normal operations become trapped in the enclosure and with some intense use can become high enough to be unhealthy for the drive, enough of these cycles will shorten the lifespan of the drive. The slimmer the enclosure the more pronethey are to this since there is less air. Some enclosures have air holes but these are usually insufficient to vent the heat because just about ever single USB enclosure are passively cooled.

I totally agree to @WillEater. I also thought one time I lost my whole bunch of files - not only JAV, but everything - because the RAID 5 in my NAS failed (2 discs at the same time). Now I use RAID 6 (means I have less space available, but it's more save) and I do more or less regularly backups on some USB drives. I don't want that to happen every again also I lost only a few JAV movies in the end and were even able to identify them and get them back again.
Ouch, that's some rather shitty luck -_-
I had a drive failure as well about a year ago, some 2Tb Gravure and JAV lost.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Today, you can purchase "Enterprise" rated hard drives, and perhaps you would also want to try "NAS" rated drives.

Both are designed for extended run times.

Back in the stone age, the "Fix" was to never use hard drives from the same batch. Same type, yes, but different build dates..
It seems if you had a bad one in a batch, your luck was you had more than one bad one.

It's better now..

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
I picked up a 2TB external drive yesterday.. Silicon Power is the brand, shock proof, military grade enclosure, $100 USD.
Never can have too many backups.. =)

Elldallan

Jan 19, 2013
I picked up a 2TB external drive yesterday.. Silicon Power is the brand, shock proof, military grade enclosure, $100 USD.
Never can have too many backups.. =)
Any idea which drive they put into that thing? That's quite relevant and unfortunately their webpage doesn't specify. It's something you probably want to look up
Figure out what's under the hood then reference this site for some rather nice statistics.