Discussion about DMM website

Masakarimasen

Jul 10, 2015
It's always the old companies that hang on to the old ways.
I'd rather be a member and download at their site. DRM is spyware, so I can't. But my collection is huge.

i woould buy from them too if it was DRM-free. i use kodi as my movie player/media center. The best i can hope for is a pirated version which is sad

pls R18 stop DRM it has never stopped piracy it only stops ppl buying from you

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
I'm pretty sure DMM knows the pros and cons of DRM, but the small vocal majority of this forum will not help change their ways (even though competitors like DXXX sell some movies DRM-free). I know of studios who have their own download stores on their official sites and many skip out on DRM for the reasons why people here are so against it.

My personal take: if a movie is also sold on a physical format, then requiring DRM for online downloads/streams is pointless since the movie can be burned very easily. It also doesn't help most AV companies press movies in Taiwan and without a doubt that's where a lot of the illegal uploads originate from (Yipman/Dioguitar probably works in one of the pressing factories). However, R18 provides a really good service for foreigners and outside of new releases, they're pretty affordable. Perfect? No, but nobody is and they are trying hard to keep on improving.

Reactions: CodeGeek

Masakarimasen

Jul 10, 2015
I'm pretty sure DMM knows the pros and cons of DRM, but the small vocal majority of this forum will not help change their ways (even though competitors like DXXX sell some movies DRM-free). I know of studios who have their own download stores on their official sites and many skip out on DRM for the reasons why people here are so against it.

My personal take: if a movie is also sold on a physical format, then requiring DRM for online downloads/streams is pointless since the movie can be burned very easily. It also doesn't help most AV companies press movies in Taiwan and without a doubt that's where a lot of the illegal uploads originate from (Yipman/Dioguitar probably works in one of the pressing factories). However, R18 provides a really good service for foreigners and outside of new releases, they're pretty affordable. Perfect? No, but nobody is and they are trying hard to keep on improving.

not saying anything, never changed the world, all i can do is voice my opnion and not buy which i've done, nothing is perfect. I agree, but stop striving for improvement and eventually you will become obsolete. Rather then pointing out that complaining is pointless complaining should be encouraged, since one person is rarely enough to effect change

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
As I said before, the DRM topic is not about if DMM/R18.com want DRM or not. It is about if the Makers let us sell it without DRM or not.
But aren't many - surely not all - makers are subsidiaries of DMM? ;)

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
I'm still hoping that one day you'll start selling actual DVDs to people outside of Japan. I'm not interested in streaming the movies, I want to own the actual discs. That way I can watch whenever I want, even years later when I might no longer be a subscriber to any channels or anything. Not holding my breath though.

Masakarimasen

Jul 10, 2015
As I said before, the DRM topic is not about if DMM/R18.com want DRM or not. It is about if the Makers let us sell it without DRM or not.

Which makers are DRM free?

I'll buy those if they have sexy models with big boobies

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
R18.com: DUGA does it. :)

I randomly clicked through a bunch of the movies on their top 100 page and it was about half and half with DRM and DRM-free formats.

Masakarimasen

Jul 10, 2015
All DRM. It will be crazy to make different format content for each maker when 90% of the makers requires DRM.

its as crazy as the amount of money ppl spend on DRM-FREE and refuse to buy DRM its probablly a couple of $1000 a year

EroMura777

Apr 5, 2015
By barely I meant... In another thread the figures were that an average production costs like $7000-10000

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
$7000 - 10000 is what I said for a major label big star production. You can half that number or more for titles with amateurs, titles by smaller studios, and those very frequent compilation videos that don't add any new content.

Reactions: Blade Runner

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
$7000 - 10000 is what I said for a major label big star production. You can half that number or more for titles with amateurs, titles by smaller studios, and those very frequent compilation videos that don't add any new content.

Im not sure where you got this numbers from but this is not the case in Japan. That may be the case of 1 scene but not one full DVD for sure.
In Japan, if it is not a very amateur maker were the camera/director/producer etc is the same guy you have at least all this cost:

- Director fee.
- Director assistant.
- Make up/hair artists to make up the actresses.
- at least 2 camera man.
- Camera man assistant.
- Light and mic staff.
- Photographer.
- Producer staff (at least 2) supervising the project.
- Actors.
- Actresses (Japanese actresses are not cheap. Just cheap if they are a street girl that no body knows her).
- Actresses managers. Japanese actresses do not got alone anywhere. They are always with the manager.
- Studio/location rental (This is also not cheap in Japan). Renting just a one location studio for a day may cost you already $5000).
- Travel expenses.
- Editing cost (This is not cheap also. Just adding the mosaic to a 2h movie will cost $1200). You need also to cut scenes, etc.

Above is the cost just to make the movie. After making the movie the makers have to do rev share of each sale with the retail stores or online shops as well as the cost of printing and packaging the DVDs if they sell it physically also.

So if you guys are talking about makers like ideapoket, S1, Moodyz, SOD etc, you can be sure at least you have all the mentioned cost to make a movie.

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
My $10K figure came from a friend who directs for MOODYZ among other makers.

Your breakdown is accurate for super high end productions such as for the studios DMM/CA owns. I don't recall hearing a separate fee for the b̶a̶b̶y̶s̶i̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ manager. I believe studios simply pay the agency who then pays the model her share (which isn't as good as forum members here think). A different director who has been directing AV for almost 30 years now told me pay is super secret. They pay the agency who then pays the model her share. One of the cardinal rules of the AV set when there are multiple actresses is never to talk about pay with each other. Even if a title starred two famous names like Hibiki Otsuki and Yui Hatano, it's not safe to assume they were paid the same. Even if they were, their actual payout from the agency(s) may be different.

Things such as on-hand staff go down way quickly once you move to independent studios. Since they don't have their own big marketplaces to sell to, cuts must be made. One studio I know who shall remain nameless laughed when I asked if they usually spend $10K (a million yen) on titles. He said it's a fraction of that and this is for a pretty bit indies studio that pumps out 8-12 titles a month.

For your non-DMM/SOD studios, you may have:

Paid for the shoot staff:
1 director
1 AD
1 or 2 cameraman and possibly a photographer
Possibly a guy in charge of sounds and/or lights
Actors/Actresses

Production staff from the studio may be present, but those guys are on salary so they're being paid no matter what.
Studio rental is not cheap, but $5000 is Hanazono Room w/ Pool pricing and you should know better.
Editing will be done by someone in the company on salary. This may be the same person who was on the set as the production staff if it's a tiny company.
Mosaic will also probably done by the studio itself again by a salaried staff. $1200 for a 2 hour movie is an insane quote. If it's a 2 hour orgy and you want pin-point accuracy then maybe. I've another friend who does mosaic and he charges a quarter of that for a 2 hour movie and his quality is fantastic.

Look, I'm sure some mosaic productions can go over a million and I know DMM and SOD have competitive advantages that allow them to go all out with larger budgets and staff. I just think those on this board should know that their very numerous smaller competitors have much tighter budgets and spending a million+ per title for most AV studios is rare. The industry is sucking right now if you're not at the top and many of these guys are in serious financial straits at the moment due to friendly internet fans.

Anyway, disagreements are great! It keeps the board active full of good AV news and info rather than 'sharing'. Everyone please go to R18 or any other non-file locker sites and support your favorite studio.

Reactions: Blade Runner

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
Edit: for the paid staff, you would also have A makeup artist (1). Editing old threads are tricky here so place forgive the extra post.