Discussion about DMM website

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Hi R18 and all
Happy New Year to all JAV lovers.
DMM.Co. jp offers a 50% discount on almost all its channel subscriptions for the New Year period but not on R18.com.

This is not really fair as it penalises all who are foreigners and who love JAV.

Sunny
But doesn't R18 currently offer one movie for free? But I didn't have a deeper look into it.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Hi R18 and all
DMM.Co. jp offers a 50% discount on almost all its channel subscriptions for the New Year period but not on R18.com.

This is not really fair as it penalises all who are foreigners and who love JAV.

Sunny
Not so much channels but they have plenty of titles on sale for 50%-60%

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Hi R18 and all

Sunny

R18.com has same movies at 50% off. We do not have discount on channel because we already have the channels for 100 JPY. DMM does not have this offer of 100 JPY channels.
Also R18.com offers a free movie for all R18.com members. DMM does not have this offer either.

Happy new year!

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
sideloaded:

DMM's parent company own many big studios, but nowhere near all of them. Maybe you can consider 25% of the market in their hands

DUGA does have DRM-free movies, but not all the movies are DRM-free. In fact, most large studios require DRM even at DUGA. I agree it's pointless when you can also buy physical versions of the movies, but that's how it is.

DMM has a huge staff, yes, but their adult wing is just a small part of what they do.

Justme4jav

May 25, 2014
I hate the DRM crap, especially the new Rplayer based on Silverlight but I am willing to buy movies I can't find anywhere else. Unfortunately the few I am looking for aren't on R18. In fact, I can't find them anywhere. Not sure about DMM as I can't figure out how to access it or pay for anything if I can access.

But man, there had to be a better way than Silverlight DRM and there is no freaking reason we should have to download a separate player from each site. You guys are connected, you own some of these studios, create one player with all features that will be the standard for all sites. Not this half baked, no feature Rplayer. That bothers me the most. Well, OK, the DRM bothers me the most, but atleast you could make less sucky for us

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Does anyone kno why certain titles dont go on R18.com? I know r18 carries the madonna studio. But jux-746 was never added on r18. It's on dmm and says something about dmm limited. Does that mean it wont be on sale for r18? I thought if r18 carried a studio all the releases would be uploaded.

Sorry about that. We are looking into it. jux-746 should be in R18.com also. Seems like the content has not been translated yet.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
Of course it's true. I dont make stuff up. Yeah I saw here answered the guy whining about some discount. Doesnt change the fact that they ignored my legit question. You know they read it. I dont know seems the free movie is obvious since they emailed and had it front page for weeks now plus you posted about in this thread. Pretty worthless post from R18 to be honest.

Ignore legitimate question from customers just to write something promoting their giveaway. This is a spam account. Clearly they aren't into HELPING customers with answers. They also took jux-726 OUT of my library. Of course you will never get a answer on that.

I hate r18. Dmm limited is a terrible way to run a business since we all know r18 is the same company.

Yes im mad. Tired of being ignored and treated like crap from R18 and their stupid DRM.

Btw, @R18.com I everytime I buy a DRM that you dont even support correctly from your store. I turn on SHADOWPLAY on my 750 ti nvidia card and completely demolish your drm so I never have to use your HORRIBLE player again. I hope everyone else does the same.

Turn shadowplay on. Capture desktop, Play movie. Save the UN-drmed video.

I did reply your question.
Why R18.com does not have 50% off on Channels subscription when DMM does?
The answer is Because R18.com already have a Channels subscription promotion that is 2 days for 100JPY.

DMM and R18 does not have always exactly same promotions. R18.com has some times sales like Black Friday that DMM does not and DMM does some time has sales that R18.com does not have.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
I hate the DRM crap, especially the new Rplayer based on Silverlight but I am willing to buy movies I can't find anywhere else. Unfortunately the few I am looking for aren't on R18. In fact, I can't find them anywhere. Not sure about DMM as I can't figure out how to access it or pay for anything if I can access.

But man, there had to be a better way than Silverlight DRM and there is no freaking reason we should have to download a separate player from each site. You guys are connected, you own some of these studios, create one player with all features that will be the standard for all sites. Not this half baked, no feature Rplayer. That bothers me the most. Well, OK, the DRM bothers me the most, but atleast you could make less sucky for us

Could you please give me the IDs of movies that you cannot find in R18.com ? I can see we are missing some movies that we should not be missing so we are investigating the issue.

Justme4jav

May 25, 2014
I think I did previously and you said that you don't have rights to the studios or something. They were FED-21, BEBE-06, and MGRO-01. Problem is there is no way to get them anywhere it seems. Back to the topic, is there any way you will move to a industry standard for all this DRM crap? And what about when silverlight is completely dead?

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
I think I did previously and you said that you don't have rights to the studios or something. They were FED-21, BEBE-06, and MGRO-01. Problem is there is no way to get them anywhere it seems. Back to the topic, is there any way you will move to a industry standard for all this DRM crap? And what about when silverlight is completely dead?

Sorry, I see. FED-21, BEBE-06, and MGRO-01 are just available on DVD. DMM/R18.com does not have rights from the studio to sell it on digital version.

I think we mentioned before but our engineers are already working to move away from Silverlight. This takes a lot of time as all the movies (each movie size, device etc) needs to be re-encoded.
We do not love DRM/Silverlight either but we need to meet the Studios requirements to be able to get the rights to sell their movies.

Reactions: Casshern2

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
sideloaded: R18/DMM probably does not want to bother with juggling more formats than they do already hence the decision to go DRM for all titles regardless of studio. They're a market decider compared to smaller (but still big) sites like DUGA so economies of scale are on their side. When you're working with a library of 200,000+ titles growing several thousand per month SENT IN VIA PHYSICAL HARD DRIVES (YES, THIS IS ACTUALLY HOW THEY DO IT HERE!) in various encoding formats, it makes sense to automate the process as much as possible.

Yes, nobody wants DRM, but when the executives at top call the shots in favor of it, bickering about it on an online forum will not help.

Also, DMM owns many top studios, but not all. I'd peg it 50/50 between them and SOD if you're just talking really big names. Also, the cost to produce a title is not so much so even mid-range studios can pump out titles that have essentially the same (or close to) quality as 'top studio titles'.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
@sideloaded and @Justme4jav, I'm sorry to hear that you have some problems. But I think you're mayba a l-i-t-t-l-e b-i-t unfair towards @R18.com (R18/DMM).
I'm not sure if you also used the official communication channels of R18 to tell them about your problems. This forum is not a customer support forum of R18/DMM. IMHO it's a miracle that these guys are willing to listen to the complains and requests here.

About the DRM: They have to use DRM because of the other studios and maybe their own policy. So they had to use some technology. Back then maybe Silverlight seemed to be a good solution. It would be absolutely crazy to implement their own DRM - even with 600 engineers. Especially as many of them are surely occupied with the DMM website and their internal software (like Amazon - which is much bigger - also spends most of its time on their software and not on some video codecs or whatever). Now that Silverlight is dead (Microsoft cancelled the support) they are switching to another technology.

And if it doesn't work with your graphics card maybe it's a problem with you card, driver or OS - and not the R18 player. It seems that it doesn't have these problems at all customer systems. The problem is that they can't test all combination of systems. Even not Microsoft. So it's not always the program, but the system it runs on. Believe me, I'm a software developer. ;)

Last edited: